Fork This New Recruiting Topic

Posted by Benis on 11/29/2017 7:27:00 PM (view original):
As far as recruiting goes-

I don't mind the dice rolls. I've had good breaks and I've had bad ones. It's fine.

But once you play D1, you see how recruiting should actually work. D3 (and even D2) is mostly a sit and wait game. Yeah, you can do some strategic moves with APs and whatnot but for the most part, you're just chilling the entire 1st session since you can't sign any D1/D2 guys until the 2nd. Snoozefest.

Additionally, since the redlight allows you to know EXACTLY what a player will sign (very 1st cycle of the 2nd session if they're Early or EoP1), you can just sit there and poach. Doing the HV love bomb on the 1st cycle of 2nd session is a pretty common strategy. Not much back and forth battling going on here.

Also, you don't HAVE to get in dice rolls at D3 to field a really good team. At D1, it's pretty much mandatory if you want to get past the 1st round.

To me, it just feels very blah.
For the REAL old timers this was what D2/D3 was like way back when.
You had "pulldowns". Given enough money you could pull a player down from the division above you but were screwed if a higher division coach went after that player.
11/29/2017 11:44 PM
Apologies if this was mentioned earlier-in 2.0 conferences also received bonus recruiting dollars based on post-season wins and this is gone in 3.0. The ultra competitive guys would form/join the toughest conferences in each world to prove they were the best. With no incentive in 3.0 (sans the "conference strength" preference) the incentive isn't there to gameplan every night, to potentially get your brains beat in time and time again. With talent spread around so much more there isn't as much incentive to get a 1 or 2 seed because the reality is there isn't much drop off in talent between seeds 3-8 like their used to be (with the exception of the few elite teams, as JS mentioned above), and this goes for all three divisions.

In 2.0 recruiting at every level was a combination of poker and chess and therefore had lots of strategy and many thought it was the best part of the game. Now it's find guys with preferences that match well, throw a bunch of APs and HVs at them, hope a bunch of other schools don't like your kids, and sit and wait (especially at D1). I agree with Benis in that I've won and lost several dice rolls and it is what it is, but it's not nearly as fun, IMO.
11/30/2017 8:10 AM
I will say one improvement of 3.0 over 2.0 is the removal of roll over cash which basically eliminated the HUGE advantage of the super class. That was a smart change.
11/30/2017 8:27 AM
Posted by pallas on 11/29/2017 11:04:00 PM (view original):
I don't want to hijack the thread, because it's obviously about the pros and cons of the new recruiting system. Essentially, some will like it, some won't. I'm okay with that. I like it, personally.

My biggest issue with WIS in its present state is the lack of marketing, the lack of desire, it seems to me, to bring in new users. Maybe you can't, as Mike said, "fix" recruiting. But you can try to bring in new users. At least they might like the new system.

And not a peep from Seble for months.
They can't "fix" recruiting.. Users can't agree on what's good/bad no matter how much some users think they know. I'm not even sure they can tweak it at this point. Any change is going to be "disturbing" to a group. You've got the group that hates it but stays, the group that loves it and would leave if changes were made to make it anything similar to "I have the most resources and I claim this recruit" and the group that thinks it could be tweaked(but they can't agree on the tweak). And the vast majority is the group that never says a word. We have no idea what 75% of the userbase thinks because they don't express it.

With the population the way it is, you just don't want anyone leaving. Change, possibly even the tiniest change, could upset the apple cart.
11/30/2017 8:58 AM
LOL at this can't fix.

How about improve? Make improvements that appeal to a wider audience.

This is just like any other product in the world. Delist the Anchovy and Ketchup Hummus Flavored Pringles and a few loyal fans will be upset. But who cares about those few schmos.

Do some research and find out what is appealing to the most people and do that. Use your brain. Think. LISTEN.

We don't know why people have left? Ha. You're not listening.
11/30/2017 9:10 AM
LOL is the response of morons who really have nothing to say. You've used it repeatedly in the last 24 hours because you're one of the people who thinks they KNOW what needs to be done. You're not. You're just another user with an opinion.
11/30/2017 9:24 AM
No **** sherlock. I don't have all the answers. But I've at least tried to talk to people on sitemail and conf chat and help them with the game and ask them why they joined up or why they're leaving.

My point is - WIS could find out what changes need to be made by doing some consumer research. It's not like understanding how black holes are formed or space travel. We're not building rocket ships here. Go find find out what changes need to be made and make them.

Or you can just throw your hands up in the air and say "well this is what we got, nothing else we can possibly do!"
11/30/2017 9:40 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Oh Gosh. What a mystery we have on our hands here!
11/30/2017 10:08 AM
We've been telling you what is wrong with the game and you keep giving stupid argument... We've said it over and over again...
11/30/2017 11:16 AM
Since no new arguments have been made, I’ll go ahead and rehash, too. I can’t prove it scientifically, because unlike Benis, I do not send people an exit interview when they leave. But I am pretty confident that the number 1 reason people that should like complex-competitive-fantasy-dynasty-sports-sims stop playing HD (or decline to start) is forced stratification; the amount of time and money it takes for them to get to the level they have in mind when deciding maybe they would enjoy a college basketball recruiting/coaching simulation. There’s no good reason to have 3 levels, and only barely a decent argument to be made for having 2. There’s definitely nothing user friendly about forcing people to spend at least 7-8 seasons at programs they would otherwise never care about or invest in before they can even qualify for low D1 jobs. I’d just let people start at D level D1 schools, if they want. And for C+ and under baseline prestige teams, I’d make the hiring process choose the best human applicant, and just remove any underlying experience or success requirements.

The biggest mistake made in the 3.0 rollout was not fixing hiring along with everything else, IMO.

TL,DR for Mike: Fix hiring and/or let people start at low D1.
11/30/2017 11:24 AM
I read it and have made that point several times. I think as recently as yesterday.
11/30/2017 11:26 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/29/2017 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 11/29/2017 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/29/2017 4:38:00 PM (view original):
I really don't think a vast number of people join to coach a D3 school. They accept that dues must be paid. But they tend to think a winning record at D3 U then D2 State could qualify them for D1 crap. Eventually they figure out it's a 5-6 season process. A year. In today's world, where 3 minutes on 1 subject is considered a long time, a year to coach a crappy D1 is a lifetime.
Shorten it but why get someone to D1 if he can't even make the nt at d2?
Because D1 is 1/3, if that, full?

The journey made sense when every world had 500-600 people in it. It doesn't now. You guys like updates, right?
Yep, less than 24 hours ago.
11/30/2017 11:28 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Fork This New Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.