Introduce Option To Start HD In Div-1...? Topic

Posted by Benis on 11/30/2017 2:06:00 PM (view original):
I always suggested allowing people to start at D1 in any world once you were qualified in ONE world.
Yep. Once a coach has spent a total of 5 seasons in D1 in a single world, they can start at D1 in any world. This forces new users to learn the game and have enough success at lower levels to give them a chance to do well in D1, but doesn't force experienced coaches to always start at the bottom of the ladder. A "D1 qualified" coach would only be allowed to take over a D- prestige program in a world they had never coached in before.
11/30/2017 3:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/30/2017 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 11/30/2017 2:06:00 PM (view original):
I always suggested allowing people to start at D1 in any world once you were qualified in ONE world.
White privilege. Or whatever privilege.
11/30/2017 3:09 PM
Posted by mullycj on 11/30/2017 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Mike sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of arguing, even when you don't really believe what you are typing.
Sometimes. In this case I do believe what I'm typing. Experienced users SHOULD get the better jobs while the inexperienced get crap. But saying "If you qualify in one world, you qualify in all" is kinda dumb. The "problem" that was being discussed was the long trudge to D1 when starting. People might get tired of it before they ever get to D1. Let the n00b have Cornell while the experienced qualify for Maryland. That's fine.

Forcing people to play a D1, 4-5 D2 and then qualify Cornell was what we were discussing eliminating.
11/30/2017 3:25 PM
Learning at D2/D3 for 5 seasons is a waste if you dream of coaching a B10 school. I believe you'd much rather get clobbered at a crappy D1 you've heard of at some point in your life.

Again, earning your stripes was fine when every level had 150-200 users. Makes no sense now.
11/30/2017 3:27 PM
"Sometimes. In this case I do believe what I'm typing. Experienced users SHOULD get the better jobs while the inexperienced get crap. But saying "If you qualify in one world, you qualify in all" is kinda dumb."

You are talking implementation here now. I would agree that a "new" user should lose out to any other DI/DII coach in that world. But if NO ONE is applying for the lowest level DI job, I don't see a problem.
11/30/2017 3:32 PM
For instance, when the "Fill Rupp" movement started, I said "I'll do Rupp" because I was already there. Trentonjoe said "I can do Rupp" but I couldn't figure out why. He took Auburn so, obviously, he'd been there before. That's fine. Next season I'll qualify for some crap D1. That's fine. So here's how I think "open" would go:

mully qualifies for everybody
I qualify for the bottom 25%(more or less)
Justsignedupjoe qualifies for bottom 5%

Neither me nor mully should be concerned with justsignedupjoe. I'm not scheduling him and, most likely, we're not competing for the same recruits. Same for mully and me. He has no reason to schedule me and my crappy team can't get the recruits he can. Our paths never cross until me/justsignedupjoe get better. So what's the harm?
11/30/2017 3:36 PM
We are on the same page. Maybe benis was also but he wasn't very clear. He seemed to be suggesting an alternative to "Everybody can start at D1". Which is kinda dumb.
11/30/2017 3:38 PM
My preference is to open it up to anyone, since the prospect of having to start in D3 is, I suspect, a big deterrent to giving the game a try for a lot of prospective coaches. But either way, at least fix hiring to remove or drastically reduce the experience and success qualifications of all baseline C+ and lower programs (excepting all big 6 schools and a few high baseline mid-majors) so the most qualified human applicant gets the job. Keep the qualification requirements (though maybe loosen a little) for the higher baseline prestige programs.

If I was running WIS, I’d probably just turn D3 into a no-incentive, free-to-play sandbox for people who want to try the game out, experiment with some things, or just coach their alma mater. Then I’m fine with a separate pool of D3-only recruits.
11/30/2017 3:42 PM
I’d join Rupp, but like buddha, I’m not interested in investing in 7-8 seasons and a real-life year building programs I don’t care about just to qualify for low D1.
11/30/2017 3:44 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Here are some ideas

Or just kill off D3. Whatever. It's dying anyway at this point.
11/30/2017 3:51 PM
To clarify - my idea was that you would be qualified for any D level job at D1 if you are qualified in another world. Not that if you're qualified for A+ Duke in Smith that you are also qualified for A+ UCLA in Iba.

Or just start at D1 anywhere. Whatever.
11/30/2017 3:53 PM
Yeah, taking teams away from people is always a good idea.
11/30/2017 3:53 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/30/2017 3:53:00 PM (view original):
To clarify - my idea was that you would be qualified for any D level job at D1 if you are qualified in another world. Not that if you're qualified for A+ Duke in Smith that you are also qualified for A+ UCLA in Iba.

Or just start at D1 anywhere. Whatever.
Which means you were saying n00bs don't qualify for D1 right out the gate. Yeah, not on the same page.
11/30/2017 3:54 PM
I think you could get more people to try the game at D3 if it’s free. I would keep D2 incentives, but they could reasonably be reduced, especially if you can move into a low D1 program with a somewhat successful season in D2.
11/30/2017 3:55 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...12 Next ▸
Introduce Option To Start HD In Div-1...? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.