ODL 66 Trade Talk Etc. Topic

Posted by copernicus on 12/6/2017 8:21:00 PM (view original):
hey man it's your money
actually, this time it's on the house
12/6/2017 8:42 PM
Posted by robusk on 12/6/2017 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Midge on 12/6/2017 3:52:00 PM (view original):
While everyone is sitting around waiting for their turn to draft and trying to decide what you can give me for Christmas, I have a question. Why do people want to have a draft with a fairly low salary cap? Why do you want to have to decide between the player you want and the player you can afford? Why not have a draft where you can just pick the best player and not have to worry about money? I'll hang up and listen.
There are really two classes of owners it seems (a third if you want to separate out all-out nincompoops). One class wants to just builds teams with all great players and see "what if" Jordan and LeBron played together (one example). The other class of owners seem to be interested in more of treating it like a challenge of their own capabilities in getting limited resources and trying to optimally leverage those resources. Both are statistical simulations but the separation really comes from whether the owner is motivated by fantasy or competition.

I have argued in the past with owners over this, as my greater interest is to maximize the difficulty and try to prove that I can better allocate resources than other people. The higher the availability of resources, the less likely I am to be able to exploit some perceived advantage, the smaller my odds of being able to engineer a win. The people on the other side of the argument presumed that all owners just wanted to build teams with the best players.

I think the disparity in aspects of the game people ***** about probably stem from which of these groups you belong to. People who want to see all the best players play together generally complain about rookies in open leagues, the sim being broken, the lack of updates, sim exploits etc. People who want to play the limited resources version of the game tend to complain more loudly about trades (because it distorts resource allocation), certain types of theme leagues, people copying their teams, accusing other owners of cheating, etc.

Anyway, that is just my two cents. I sure there are people who would claim they don't identify with any of this.
I would disagree with a couple of these points... I think almost everyone hates the OL rookies... I definitely play for the competition..... The randomness of the rookies from position effectiveness, to minutes played, to ability is all random and does noting to add to the excitement of 'allocating resources'- the OL would truly be a test of just that if rookies didn't exist, but the rookie aspect makes it a joke. 2 owners can build the exact same team, and 1 will inevitably be 'better' due to the randomness/luck of the rookies.. that takes away from the very aspect you're talking about- which is 'showing who is best'..... Also, trading can maximize (or minimize) your ability to allocate the resources your given. If your plan calls for 2 guys who usually get drafted in the 3rd, and 2 guys who usually get drafted in the 4th- but you don' really need a 2nd--- having that vision and making it happen shows some sort of 'skill' & understanding of the SIM -and that's what we'e trying to show. We're each trying to show that we have better skills and a better understanding of the SIM that everyone else. Trading 'IS' 'leveraging resources'.... If one truly only cared about a level playing field and showing off ability and having a true competition - they wouldn't be interested in draft leagues as much as they would a theme league that was similar to an OL with but with no rookies and a 45-48 Mill cap. (Considering the rookie value in the OL is approx $5 million, although I've heard of only getting a lot less or a little more- the true OL cap is $47).

I'm in it to win, although I do 'experiment' with not so high expectations occasionally. I will say that I don' really have a problem with the SIM. It seems pretty fair and fairly logical to me. There are some things, such as fouls that seem very random compared to RL stars at times, but overall- it's a quality product and usually the best teams on paper win their divisions and/or perform well in the playoffs.
12/6/2017 9:08 PM (edited)
I would slightly disagree with some of this. I always have the best team, but I usually lose in the first round of the playoffs. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?)
12/6/2017 9:17 PM
Anyone interested in trading their 3rd and second 6th for my 4th and 5th? Let me know.
12/7/2017 10:42 AM
CJ trades his 4th and 5th to seapilots for his 3rd and second 6th.

If I'm not mistaken the trade is:

94 & 99
for
67 & 126 b

seapilots to confirm.
12/7/2017 12:57 PM
Posted by cjok1051 on 12/7/2017 12:57:00 PM (view original):
CJ trades his 4th and 5th to seapilots for his 3rd and second 6th.

If I'm not mistaken the trade is:

94 & 99
for
67 & 126 b

seapilots to confirm.
Confirm
12/7/2017 1:03 PM
So very, very happy you guys let me have Ewing. Was convinced Mikee was gonna take him, as well as half a dozen other teams after that.
12/8/2017 7:22 PM
there's things to like about him but he's expensive, fouls a little bit too much and he's not all that great on the boards
12/8/2017 9:00 PM
Posted by copernicus on 12/8/2017 9:00:00 PM (view original):
there's things to like about him but he's expensive, fouls a little bit too much and he's not all that great on the boards
perfect fit for my team. I really you would go with someone that usually goes in the 2nd, but you went a different direction. I also thought rjk would take that guy. A lot of surprising picks so far
12/8/2017 9:10 PM
nah there's a lot more guys left that will work at that position than there are guys who take & make 3s at a good rate & usage, while being super clean and still bringing the assists I think I needed - my D is good enough w/o the guy I think you mean (I can put a 90+ guy on all 5 positions now, and 3 of any 5 at any given time)
12/8/2017 10:11 PM
I’m pretty happy with my Team.
12/9/2017 4:18 AM
I'm already figuring out that I don't have enough money for the bench that I want. I think everyone else should play with $47 million and I should get $50 million.
12/11/2017 8:07 PM
◂ Prev 123
ODL 66 Trade Talk Etc. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.