Where Should New Players Start? Topic

To be fair, I don't play for rewards. If I did, I'd dedicate this time for FanDuel or straight up gambling. For those who do, maybe D3 is a good starting point. And D3 would be available for anyone who wanted to play it. But, if you're playing so you can coach a big-time school, the 5-7 season apprenticeship in order to get to a crappy D1 is a turn-off. With world populations so low, that needs to be eliminated.

I honestly feel like most of this is "I started at D3. Everyone should start at D3. Will we give out Participation Trophies next?" nonsense. The game has changed.
12/5/2017 10:44 AM
I don't care much about paying dues. Nor am I really against new people starting at D1.

I do think that D3 will become pointless and probably be dead (more dead than it already is)
12/5/2017 10:55 AM
Posted by Benis on 12/5/2017 10:55:00 AM (view original):
I don't care much about paying dues. Nor am I really against new people starting at D1.

I do think that D3 will become pointless and probably be dead (more dead than it already is)
Unless you adjust the pricing / rewards structure. I can't imagine D3 being a ghost town if pricing was tiered by division ($3/$6/$12). I'd absolutely pay $3 a season for a D3 team, even with the lower rewards.
12/5/2017 10:58 AM
Posted by mbriese on 12/5/2017 10:58:00 AM (view original):

Unless you adjust the pricing / rewards structure. I can't imagine D3 being a ghost town if pricing was tiered by division ($3/$6/$12). I'd absolutely pay $3 a season for a D3 team, even with the lower rewards.
I like that idea.
12/5/2017 11:10 AM
Posted by mbriese on 12/5/2017 10:58:00 AM (view original):

I think you'd have to do something like that if they allowed people to start at D1.
12/5/2017 11:17 AM
I'm not sure if I care that D3 dies(or becomes a 12 user hang out).

Everyone, almost, says they want to compete against other humans. Getting the current world populations in one division would accomplish that. Maybe those objecting are afraid D1 would be too difficult with 200+ at that level. Personally, I think would be played as designed with that many. FB/press wouldn't be the only options. More would play zone because they simply wouldn't have the athletes to run press or defenders to run man.
12/5/2017 11:17 AM
" FB/press wouldn't be the only options"

FB/Press is the least common O/D setup in D1.
12/5/2017 11:24 AM
Well. Maybe not the LEAST common combo. But it's not very common at D1 compared to D2/D3.
12/5/2017 11:26 AM
I'd say Fastbreak/Zone is the least common. Hahahaha. Among FB/Press, Motion/Man, Triangle/Man, Flex/Press, Triangle/Zone, and Motion/Zone I would say FB/Press is the WORST by far at high DI.
12/5/2017 11:30 AM
Well, there you go. Stupid me, learning the ropes at D2/D3, doesn't know what to use at D1.

I'd have learned that had I spent the last year at Cornell as opposed to Lander/WCSU. Simply because I'd have known what I was facing at D1 every game.

Point made.
12/5/2017 11:34 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/5/2017 11:34:00 AM (view original):
Well, there you go. Stupid me, learning the ropes at D2/D3, doesn't know what to use at D1.

I'd have learned that had I spent the last year at Cornell as opposed to Lander/WCSU. Simply because I'd have known what I was facing at D1 every game.

Point made.
Point made my ***. If you'd been paying attention at D2/D3 instead of going through the motions on your race to D1, you'd have KNOWN that set-up would have been very, very difficult to run successfully. You want to know what you'll be facing at D1 each game? Simple. Try looking at the roster's of some of the good human coached teams. Or hey here's an idea, even some of the Sim teams in the conference you're in such a sprint to join. Then you'd know EXACTLY what you were facing every game. It's not like they're all shrouded in secrecy.

You made a point all right. Point made is that you're simply clueless on the subject and want to add your two cents on any and every topic that comes along, whether you've got the slightest iota of understanding or not. The very epitome of the old saying, " I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he THINKS he's worth".

FWIW, I voted to let users start wherever they want. I also happen to think it's better to learn the game's basics in the kiddie pool of D2/D3 than with the sharks in the oceans of D1.
12/7/2017 1:52 PM (edited)
Posted by emy1013 on 12/7/2017 1:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/5/2017 11:34:00 AM (view original):

Point made.
Point made my ***. If you'd been paying attention at D2/D3 instead of going through the motions on your race to D1, you'd have KNOWN that set-up would have been very, very difficult to run successfully. You want to know what you'll be facing at D1 each game? Simple. Try looking at the roster's of some of the good human coached teams. Or hey here's an idea, even some of the Sim teams in the conference you're in such a sprint to join. Then you'd know EXACTLY what you were facing every game. It's not like they're all shrouded in secrecy.

You made a point all right. Point made is that you're simply clueless on the subject and want to add your two cents on any and every topic that comes along, whether you've got the slightest iota of understanding or not. The very epitome of the old saying, " I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he THINKS he's worth".

FWIW, I voted to let users start wherever they want. I also happen to think it's better to learn the game's basics in the kiddie pool of D2/D3 than with the sharks in the oceans of D1.
No, point made period. I know what I play against in D2. A bunch of goddam SIMS. What they run in D2 is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT to what humans run in D1. Would you like to argue that?

I know what I read. "It's impossible to run Press nowadays because of the EE issues!!" Constantly.

As for the sharks, they are at every level. Some very good users park in D2/D3 and never move. Seems I see your name at the top of the wins leader board in D2 Rupp. Non-shark?

You've been threatening to crawl back into your cave for days. Do it.
12/7/2017 2:00 PM
I am actually happy Emy is speaking up. Really a fun owner to have along. So speak for yourself Mike.
12/7/2017 2:05 PM
Of course you are. Aside from benis, you're the biggest forum suck-up in HD.

I don't really care that he's speaking up either. But he rambles on about the good ol' days when posters actually discussed the game instead of ******** at each other while passive-aggressively ******** about other posters. He's a hypocrite. And, if you can tell me what he added other than snark, I'm all ears(or eyes).
12/7/2017 2:10 PM
Emy Win% .725
MikeT23 Win% .557
12/7/2017 2:16 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...9 Next ▸
Where Should New Players Start? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.