Advice-- Jumping into D1 Topic

OK, so i haven't played d1 in ages, probably 40 seasons, since well before 3.0 came out, and I just took over BYU (D+ prestige). I've been in d2 in 3.0, so understand the basics of recruiting, and I get that d1 is different (has decent success at NC State once upon a time), but what are the odds I land any decent recruits this 2nd recruiting period (starts today)? I've cut 4 players, so have 4 openings, but nobody considering me other than the 2 guys Simmy already signed.

What does it take to get a recruit out of the hands of a lower-level school who has already offered a scholly? Am I wasting my attention points on those guys (Moderate, have offer from D2)?

Should I wait til later in this cycle to hunt for hidden gems, or just bag it and go hard next season?

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
12/7/2017 10:02 AM
Pick your top target and load up the APs to unlock the scholly and visits ASAP. Once you can start spending money on him, it wont be that hard.
12/7/2017 10:04 AM
Look at the Late preference players. Go hard for 2 guys and unlock actions. Then let your money do the talking.

You should be able to beat D2s and get into dice rolls with D1s.

12/7/2017 10:32 AM
Be on the lookout for teams that got greedy. Maybe they were already in battles and used up their budget then you can come in and outspend them.
12/7/2017 10:33 AM
Good advice, I hope to be in this position soon. Thanks!
12/7/2017 11:27 AM
Posted by mullycj on 12/7/2017 10:04:00 AM (view original):
Pick your top target and load up the APs to unlock the scholly and visits ASAP. Once you can start spending money on him, it wont be that hard.
Agreed. The key to session 2 recruiting is to unlock scholly, visits and promises ASAP.
12/7/2017 11:37 AM
RS2 is brutally bad for D1s. Lower your expectations.

I'm at D1 Loyola Marymount (D+, baseline C). I luckily won a dice roll yesterday where I was a 37/63 dog. I had 530 AP, 20 HV, CV, start, and 20 minutes. The team I beat was an A prestige D2.
12/7/2017 12:46 PM
Thanks, all. Keep the good ideas coming.
12/7/2017 3:38 PM
Yeah, period 1 went poorly for me-- I spent most of my effort on 2 guys, and one who moved to considering an offer from me also signed with someone else [sad trombone]... There are still a couple of useful players out there, but I may be playing very short next season (which is fine, if it happens).
12/7/2017 5:26 PM
also, we play FB offense now, and I've never done that before, nor would I expect to get players who can run that at this level anytime soon. Anyone have strong ideas about what I should switch to? I've run all 3 of the standard Os pretty much, but Triangle the most. Is one significantly better than the others now, in Forum thinking?
12/7/2017 5:29 PM
My opinion is that it's more important for you to really understand how your offense works than pick a specific offense. If you understand the type of players that thrive in your offense and you know how to set up an appropriate distribution you'll be fine. So in that respect maybe pick the offense with which you are most comfortable.

I am not aware of one offense being clearly preferable to another. But it may depend on what defense you plan on running.
12/7/2017 5:43 PM
Posted by grimacedance on 12/7/2017 11:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 12/7/2017 10:04:00 AM (view original):
Agreed. The key to session 2 recruiting is to unlock scholly, visits and promises ASAP.
Exactly right ... and "ASAP" is Recruiting Session 1.
12/7/2017 10:18 PM
Advice-- Jumping into D1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.