Jack Morris and Alan Trammell... Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 12/22/2017 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Thing is, other than Mike's argument that Hunter threw a lot of innings (which is true over four seasons or so), no one is really willing to say what it is that he did so well.

If you're going to make the argument that the stats are telling the wrong story, what's the right story? Because, from my point of view, if Hunter wasn't very good at preventing runs from scoring, there would have to be extenuating circumstances to still consider him a very good pitcher.
1967-1976 averaged 277 innings, 37 starts, 16 complete games. That is not 4. Dumbass.
12/22/2017 4:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/22/2017 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by donaldjl on 12/22/2017 2:58:00 PM (view original):
**** those teammates, opponents, writers, owners, fans, and even the hotdog vendor. Clearly none of them knew a damn thing about baseball. I've been lied to my entire life. It's all a sham. I'm only going to trust in what bad_luck posts as fact from this moment on. I'll even watch some games because he says I should, for entertainment purposes. But I will not be drawn in by the propaganda perpetuated by persons claiming to understand what is happening on the field. I'll probably even watch with the sound off to avoid any further brainwashing.
Tell me. What are the stats getting wrong about Hunter?
Stats are what they are; it's your interpretation of them, along with your total disregard of everything else, that is wrong.
Of course, I'm guessing (hoping) you already know that, and just can't bring yourself to admit it.
12/22/2017 4:41 PM
According to BL:

a) Kenny Lofton is "worthy" of a serious Hall of Fame discussion

b) Catfish Hunter is not

Therefore, according to BL logic:

c) Kenny Lofton was a better player than Catfish Hunter

KENNY LOFTON!!!
12/22/2017 5:00 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/22/2017 5:00:00 PM (view original):
According to BL:

a) Kenny Lofton is "worthy" of a serious Hall of Fame discussion

b) Catfish Hunter is not

Therefore, according to BL logic:

c) Kenny Lofton was a better player than Catfish Hunter

KENNY LOFTON!!!
Correct
12/22/2017 5:53 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/22/2017 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by donaldjl on 12/22/2017 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/22/2017 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Thing is, other than Mike's argument that Hunter threw a lot of innings (which is true over four seasons or so), no one is really willing to say what it is that he did so well.

If you're going to make the argument that the stats are telling the wrong story, what's the right story? Because, from my point of view, if Hunter wasn't very good at preventing runs from scoring, there would have to be extenuating circumstances to still consider him a very good pitcher.
" Because, from my point of view..."

You finally said something that holds water. Your point of view is his career numbers. The point if view that you don't use is actually watching the man pitch. What he did in each game against each batter is what mattered. That's why they play the games.
...um...we have a complete record of what he did in each game against each batter.
"I don't have to watch the games. I have the stats."
12/22/2017 6:00 PM

Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: For support, not illumination.

-Vin Scully

12/22/2017 6:14 PM
More secret Baseball Illuminati propaganda coming from that Scully guy.
12/22/2017 9:04 PM
He was just another dumb*ss from 40 years ago, who knew nothing about baseball compared to today's stat-whores.
12/23/2017 8:51 AM
◂ Prev 1...44|45|46
Jack Morris and Alan Trammell... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.