Last season I ended up signing a guard with a WE of 1 (desperation signing). When all was said and done I redshirted him due to depth.

Obviously he hasn't really improved this year. There's also very little I can do with him this season (there's 3 quality players at PG/SG ahead of him), so I can't just start him for 4 years.

At a 1 work ethic, should I keep him? I can likely sign another player with somewhat lower initial ratings but a much better WE.
12/12/2017 5:12 PM
1 is pretty awful. I'd cut for sure. 6 is the lowest I'd go, and even so, he better have elite starting ratings.
12/12/2017 5:23 PM
I just looked at the guy you're talking about.

This is a no brainer - CUT.

His current ratings are very poor for D1 and will never improve. And he'll have terrible IQs to boot.

You can't cut this guy fast enough.
12/12/2017 5:30 PM
Agreed with Benis. For a guy with an IQ below 10 to be a viable player, he needs to have ratings that you want a senior to have and he needs to have played your O/D in HS. He needs to be ready to contribute from Day 1.
12/12/2017 6:09 PM
It won’t work, cut him. I took a gamble on a guy at my D2 NJIT team with 1 WE because his potentials were crazy. He finished his career going up 24 total points.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/RatingsHistory.aspx?pid=3659569
12/12/2017 7:11 PM
Thanks all. He's now free to go to another program. I usually filter the low-WE guys out, I'm not actually sure how I came to sign him!
12/13/2017 12:47 PM
I have taken a few 1's over the years, and my rule of thumb is if his current ratings are good enough for a specific role in four years same as they are now, sign him. That strategy weeds out quite a few guys from consideration right from the getgo.
12/14/2017 10:24 AM
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/RatingsHistory.aspx?tid=12357&pid=3751355

Guys like this are worth taking to plug holes in the event that recruiting dollars are gone or you’re just looking for bench depth without compromising on ATH and DEF. That’s my thought at least.
12/14/2017 10:31 AM (edited)
Posted by beachhouse on 12/14/2017 10:31:00 AM (view original):
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/RatingsHistory.aspx?tid=12357&pid=3751355

Guys like this are worth taking to plug holes in the event that recruiting dollars are gone or you’re just looking for bench depth without compromising on ATH and DEF. That’s my thought at least.
Once you take away his freshman year, he has played 85 minutes over two seasons and scored six points. Wouldn't you have been better off with a walk-on his freshman year and keeping that recruiting cash for a player who could help you more down the line?
12/14/2017 10:55 AM
Recruited a guy with a 1 WE and good numbers at PG (D2). In Version 2, if you started that guy, there was a good chance his WE would slowly improve, and he would start to gain ratings points. This guy started all year at PG, played pretty well, and gained a few ratings points, which he promptly lost while playing video games all summer. Still starting; still WE1, after a few games his soph year, and if he stays at WE1, will cut him after the season and never take a WE1 again.
12/15/2017 11:14 AM
I don't look at a player if he is below 25 in WE.
12/17/2017 7:28 PM
I took over a mediocre organization in Smith. The recruiting class I inherited had a big man with a 1 WE. I probably should have cut him but he was serviceable enough to justify back up minutes and I wanted to even out my classes so I kept him. 22 games into his senior year, he has gained 16 total points during his 4 seasons and LOST 21 total points during 3 off seasons. He will graduate a worse player than he arrived. Suffice to say he won't be going into my school's HOF and I don't make a habit of recruiting low WE players.
12/17/2017 9:45 PM
Yes, usually they get worse over their career. Had a 1 WE guy I recruited at U. Conn - He was a 5 star player, started at 702 overall. Third best big man I ever recruited in terms of starting stats for a big man.

Four years later he finished at 697, and was the second worst big man to graduate. - This is out of 25 big men. The only one who was worse was a big man I inherited when I took over the team, so he finished as the worst big I have recruited. He finished with 2 WE
12/17/2017 10:28 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.