can a DIII school get a DI recruit during first recruiting period or will they just push decision down the road if they don't have interest from a DI or DII school at that time?
12/14/2017 12:21 PM
A projected D1 recruit cannot sign with a D2 school before the start of the second recruiting period, and cannot sign with a D3 school before the last 24 hours of recruiting. Seble put in those artificial barriers because D1 coaches felt so threatened by lower division schools and complained mightily in the forums during beta..
12/14/2017 12:32 PM
Thanks!
Interesting
12/14/2017 12:47 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 12/14/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):
A projected D1 recruit cannot sign with a D2 school before the start of the second recruiting period, and cannot sign with a D3 school before the last 24 hours of recruiting. Seble put in those artificial barriers because D1 coaches felt so threatened by lower division schools and complained mightily in the forums during beta..
How would you know that? You didn't participate in Beta.
12/14/2017 12:48 PM
are recruiting actions equal or DI weighted more favorable than DII, etc.?
12/14/2017 12:48 PM
Benis,
Are you saying it's not true?
12/14/2017 12:49 PM
The part about not being able to sign above your division in 1st session is true.

The reason why it was implemented is not true.
12/14/2017 12:52 PM
Thanks
12/14/2017 1:03 PM
Posted by Benis on 12/14/2017 12:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by l80r20 on 12/14/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):
How would you know that? You didn't participate in Beta.
Coach Spud participated in Beta. I don't know who this guy is. Don't recall seeing that username when they were testing.
12/14/2017 1:12 PM
Posted by troonboy on 12/14/2017 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Benis,
Are you saying it's not true?
Of course it's true. All of it. Talk with anyone who participated in beta and will give you a straight answer. Don't be distracted by those guys trying to hijack the thread with personal attacks.
12/14/2017 2:06 PM
Posted by troonboy on 12/14/2017 12:48:00 PM (view original):
are recruiting actions equal or DI weighted more favorable than DII, etc.?
Totally weighted. The effects of prestige on a recruiting action by a D1 school are greater than the effects of prestige on the same action by a D2 school, no overlap. This is true even for the lowest prestige D1 school vs, the highest prestige D2 school. In the same way there is no overlap between D2 / D3. This was instituted during beta and has not been changed since then. Edit: note that preferences can line up and combine to be more powerful than prestige.
12/15/2017 12:57 PM (edited)
Be careful who you take advice from. The above statement is definitely false. I have two D3 teams and I have already put one attention point on a guy the first cycle of recruiting and been ahead of D2 teams, so I know there can be overlap between the two divisions. To have this happen you have to match preferences better than the D2 team, but it can be done. Also, just to be clear, a D3 team can't sign a D1 player until 11 PM (eastern) the day before recruiting ends. So session 2 will start at 8AM (eastern) on some day, say the December 14th, a D3 team can't sign a D1 guy until 11 PM the next day, December 15th. D2 teams can sign D1 players at the start of session 2, so if you are battling a D2 team you have to put in enough effort to keep them at moderate or the D2 team will get the player (unless he is just a randomly very late signer) before he is allowed to sign with you.
12/14/2017 10:05 PM
Posted by piman314 on 12/14/2017 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Be careful who you take advice from. The above statement is definitely false. I have two D3 teams and I have already put one attention point on a guy the first cycle of recruiting and been ahead of D2 teams, so I know there can be overlap between the two divisions. To have this happen you have to match preferences better than the D2 team, but it can be done. Also, just to be clear, a D3 team can't sign a D1 player until 11 PM (eastern) the day before recruiting ends. So session 2 will start at 8AM (eastern) on some day, say the December 14th, a D3 team can't sign a D1 guy until 11 PM the next day, December 15th. D2 teams can sign D1 players at the start of session 2, so if you are battling a D2 team you have to put in enough effort to keep them at moderate or the D2 team will get the player (unless he is just a randomly very late signer) before he is allowed to sign with you.
troonboy, this is helpful information from piman314 and is explained in the guide to the new 3.0 by chapelhillne if you want to read more about the recruiting process. This issue is covered in this section:

In cases where a team is chasing a recruit from a higher division, interest level is limited to Moderate until the start of the second recruiting period in cases where it's a one-division difference, or until the final 24 hours of recruiting if it's a D3 team and a D1 recruit. This means they will not sign until that point, because you have to have them at High or Very High interest to sign. On the final recruiting cycle, if a recruit has no valid offers from teams at High or Very High, he will accept an offer from a team at a lower interest level. So he would first look for a team at Moderate, then if there were none there, he would move on to Low, then to Very Low.
12/15/2017 10:39 AM (edited)
I was involved in Beta. And to be honest it was a ghost town. I believe they ran 3 or 4 season's before they started making changes to all the worlds. I had 3 teams + Beta team and to my error spent more time with the teams I built up than the Beta world. We got stuck on artificial arguments and from what I noticed there were minor tweaks to the new format and minor discussions about D1/D2/D3 overlapping recruiting. They should of ran at least 10 season's and fast forward the gameplay and let everyone have a team in each Division. Then organize a discussion. Instead Beta was ignored and 100+ accounts got a free taste of the new format.
12/15/2017 10:51 AM
"I have two D3 teams and I have already put one attention point on a guy the first cycle of recruiting and been ahead of D2 teams, so I know there can be overlap between the two divisions. To have this happen you have to match preferences better than the D2 team, but it can be done."

Yes, thanks piman. We need to be very careful to read statements clearly. And I may not have been clear in mine earlier. Indeed, as piman points out, the effects of preferences are powerful. But one AP from a D3 team cannot put you ahead of a D2 team with equal preferences, no matter the relative prestige. Division always trumps prestige, always. That's where there is no overlap. Preferences can be more powerful than prestige, however.

It should also be noted that you may appear to be ahead of a higher division school just because of alphabetical order. All VH schools are lumped together and listed alphabetically, all High schools are lumped together and listed alphabetically ... all the way down to all VL schools are lumped together and listed alphabetically. (The list of interested schools never exceeds ten, BTW.) One AP will make you VL and put you ahead of a higher division school on the list, but that may only be alphabetically, again depending on preferences. There's no way to tell which of the schools lumped together in VL are ahead of which other schools.

I'll edit my comment above to try to make it clear that I was talking about the effect of prestige on recruiting efforts. Thanks again, piman.
12/15/2017 1:05 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.