Help with bullpen Topic

im a newbie. I drafted a couple dominant high inning shutdown relievers (AKA Andrew miller) and so far they are not getting in the games enough. I want them to be used in the first mid to late inning jam, but I guess because the are at set up A and B they are being used only in late innings? I've got them avail in the 6th inning, but they are not being put in enough. I want them to pitch everyday that they aren't tired. How do I do this? Do I put all other pitchers in mop up so they don't get in the way? Any help you can give would be much appreciated , because it's a huge part of my strategy and it's not working out. Thanks guys.
12/20/2017 12:20 PM
Miller has appeared in 5 of your 10 games. 81 appearances in a season would be a lot. Depending on the game situation, Setup A is not always the first relief type used. Moving everybody else to Mop with a later Inning Available setting is an extreme option, but that is a way to manipulate your settings to get Miller (and Quantrill?) into games first and more frequently.
12/20/2017 12:38 PM
How the WIS algorithm uses your bullpen (also known as "No, Sparky did not screw you over when he brought in the mopup pitcher in a tie game...he did EXACTLY what you told him to do")
http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=452075

That's from the FAQ thread pinned to the top of the page. You'll probably find very useful information there about how to set up a bullpen and how the SIM deploys your bullpen arms based on your settings.
12/20/2017 12:40 PM
thanks skunk. Huge help. Miller came in right after i wrote it. I love WIS! what a great way to help the offseason along - Filling that huge dark void with some baseball. i screwed the pooch on that first draft. Was just giving it a test run having no idea I'd like it as much as I did. Now I wish i did a better job. Anyway, it's a good team to test out WW and AA usage with. Could be 100 loss team. Now that i have a few drafts under the belt, I'm starting to get my priorities in line. This is a big help on how to utilize my pen. Having a blast, thanks.
12/20/2017 2:21 PM
Posted by underwig on 12/20/2017 2:21:00 PM (view original):
thanks skunk. Huge help. Miller came in right after i wrote it. I love WIS! what a great way to help the offseason along - Filling that huge dark void with some baseball. i screwed the pooch on that first draft. Was just giving it a test run having no idea I'd like it as much as I did. Now I wish i did a better job. Anyway, it's a good team to test out WW and AA usage with. Could be 100 loss team. Now that i have a few drafts under the belt, I'm starting to get my priorities in line. This is a big help on how to utilize my pen. Having a blast, thanks.
Awesome. I love when new people join. How’d you find out about this website? I’m just curious if the new company is putting out ads for this.
12/20/2017 4:28 PM
You have to adjust your advanced settings, regarding rest, inning available and pitch counts. The Sim will use your settings unless all others are unavailable. Sparky will use the lowest OAV arm available that meets the inning available and rest criteria...

my 1st 3 teams were a combined- 200...and even the very best have teams that stink it up...162 games is a small sample size.

Read contrarian23's pinned threads in the simleague forums.
12/20/2017 4:35 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 12/20/2017 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by underwig on 12/20/2017 2:21:00 PM (view original):
Awesome. I love when new people join. How’d you find out about this website? I’m just curious if the new company is putting out ads for this.
From Brian kenny's book. "ahead of the curve". Like preaching to the choir. Loved the book and have always been into analytics ect. so I thought I'd give it a try.
12/20/2017 6:25 PM
I usually set all my "good pitchers" (i.e. guys I wanted used) to Setup A and make them available in any inning. I understand the SIM brings in relief pitchers in order of their OAV. If that worries you (say you have a guy with a .170 OAV but he yields 3.6 bb/9), you can set him with a quick pull, or even mark him as Setup B. It's super important to manage their pitch counts per game (you want to avoid "in game fatigue"). There are two types of pitching fatigue in the SIM. One is overall fatigue which is easily managed by looking at the players current level. Once they hit 70% of participation in games played, they hit a wall. Skunk points out Miller has been running about 50%. The other, and in my assessment more important fatigue, is the "in game" tiring. you don't want to set a player who threw .85/ip9 (as an example) at a pitch counts higher than 10/15. You can push to 15/15, but not higher. Figure for each Real Life IP per 9, your guy can conservatively throw 15 pitches per inning without experiencing in-game fatigue. I actually use a 15.5 multiplier but others are comfortable going even higher (i.e. they're comfortable as perhaps they're in a pitcher friend park like SAFECO, Shea, Oakland, or Petco). Back to Miller as your living example. he has an IP/9 of 1.07 meaning you can safely set him at 15/15 and rest him if he drops below a certain fatigue level (say 96-97, or even 100%). site mail me for more discussion. Welcome.
12/21/2017 5:49 PM
Thanks Redwing! that's huge!
12/22/2017 5:22 PM
Help with bullpen Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.