Tax Cuts Consequences Topic

There were two double-take moments involving current and former GOP policymakers this week that cast doubt on some of the party's major accomplishments of the Trump era -- tax cuts and ending the Obamacare individual mandate to have health insurance.

If there are an increasing number of signposts that the economy and the election in 2018 will be difficult for the party that currently controls all of Washington, these are two of the larger ones.
The first came from Republican Sen. Marco Rubio and the subject was the massive tax overhaul that permanently slashed corporate tax rates and temporarily cut rates for individuals.
The law has yet to fully kick in, but Rubio seemed to acknowledge one of the major complaints about it, the permanent benefits of which are weighted to corporations in the hope of growing wages and jobs.
That is factually accurate! The individual cuts expire after 2025. There's just as much fact-checking to do of Democratic claims about the tax law, but what's most interesting about Rubio is that he essentially broke with his party to say what he said. In other words, he did something very un-Washington. He told the truth.

"There is still a lot of thinking on the right that if big corporations are happy, they're going to take the money they're saving and reinvest it in American workers," Rubio told the Economist. "In fact they bought back shares, a few gave out bonuses; there's no evidence whatsoever that the money's been massively poured back into the American worker."
(Note: In arguing for passage of the bill, Republicans were very careful to emphasize the benefits to individuals over corporations even though the rate cut for corporations was much larger -- several percentage points for most individuals but 14 percentage points for corporations.)
Rubio's quote could have come from a Democratic press release attacking the bill. In fact, Democrats quickly inserted it into press releases, which led Rubio to clarify himself without ceding his larger point in a National Review op-ed Wednesday in which he argued "on the whole, the tax cut bill helps workers. It's just not massive tax cuts to multinational corporations that do it."
The second Republican to throw kerosene on current GOP orthodoxy was former HHS Secretary Tom Price, who suffered the twin embarrassments of a private plane scandal and, probably more importantly, the failure of Republicans to follow through on their many, many, many promises to repeal Obamacare. It was the planes that cost him his job.
After Price left -- and as part of that tax law -- they did zero out the penalty Americans would have to pay for not obtaining health insurance. President Donald Trump has declared that move the death knell for Obamacare and the sign of better things to come.
"The individual mandate essentially wipes it out, so I think we may be better off," Trump said at the conservative CPAC conference in February. "And people are getting great healthcare plans and we're not finished yet."

He's pledged to dismantle the law piece by piece.
Price, who was once in charge of those efforts, said at a health care conference that ending the penalty for the individual mandate as part of that deconstruction was actually going to drive up costs.
"That may help, but it still is nibbling at the side," Mr. Price told the World Heath Care Congress in DC. "And there are many, and I'm one of them, who believes that that actually will harm the pool in the exchange market, because you'll likely have individuals who are younger and healthier not participating in that market, and consequently, that drives up the cost for other folks within that market."
More truth! Price -- and he has his reasons --would rather rip Obamacare out by the roots. But he's admitting something here about the piecemeal strategy Republicans have been forced into that is very interesting.
Both of these comments -- from Rubio and Price -- are parts of nuanced arguments, but they both speak to the difficulty of governing. Pass a major tax reform that gives massive cuts to corporations and cuts to most Americans and there's a good chance most people won't even be noticing it on a day to day basis.
The most recent polling from Gallup, in mid-April, suggested support for the new tax law has grown since it was passed, but it still only sits at 39%. Again, most of the benefit to individuals will not be felt until tax time in 2019.
When the Wall Street Journal asked voters how they felt about the law, 34% said they didn't have strong opinions either way.

In other words, the tax reform law accomplishes a lot of the policy Republicans have long sought to fix the US economy. But if individual voters don't feel that in their paycheck, it's a thankless gift. It might not help that the law was passed when the US was at full employment, according to economy wonks.
And many corporations are using their windfall to pay out investors, not pay back to workers. Apple, for instance, is buying back hundreds of billions in stock, rewarding investors. That will certainly help Apple's stock price and could trickle down into the economy, but perhaps not as quickly or efficiently as Apple using the money to hire people or develop products.

On healthcare, there's no sentient being who would argue that Obamacare was a panacea to solve the nation's health insurance problems. But it's likewise very hard to argue that the Trump administration's efforts to starve and strangle the law have done much to improve access to care.
And that's a large reason, as CNN's Dan Merica recently reported, why Democrats are running on bread and butter issues like health insurance and the tax law rather than the Russia investigation and Stormy Daniels.
The most recent CNN poll in March suggests voters say they will support a general Democratic candidate (50%) to a Republican candidate (44%) in November.
Despite the GOP tax win, voters are split at 45% each on whether they trust Republicans or Democrats to handle the economy. Democrats hold a huge advantage -- 56% to 36% -- on who voters trust to handle healthcare.
Those numbers illustrate the difficulty for Republicans in selling their accomplishments. The quotes from Rubio and Price, however, prove the point in a much more effective way.
5/2/2018 11:17 PM

Paul Krugman thinks the Republican tax law is failing to stimulate economic growth as promised.

"We should be seeing an investment boom or at least some indications of a planned increased investment," the Nobel Prize-winning economist told CNN correspondent Paula Newton on "Quest Means Business" on Wednesday. "We're just not seeing that."

In terms of business investment, Krugman said, it "looks like the tax cut is a nothing burger."

Republicans promised last year that lowering the corporate tax rate would encourage companies to invest more in new factories and equipment, which would create jobs and boost the economy.

But so far, many companies have used the money to reward shareholders.

Related: Apple rewarded its investors with a record cash giveaway

One recent example is Apple (AAPL), which announced Tuesday that it will spend $100 billion more on stock buybacks. The company spent $22.8 billion buying back its own stock in the first three months of this year.

US companies have plowed more than $246 billion into stock buybacks this year, according to the research firm Birinyi Associates. That's up 31% from the same point last year. Cisco (CSCO) and Wells Fargo (WFC) alone have announced plans to repurchase more than $20 billion of stock each.

Krugman said he's "surprised at how little effect we're seeing on corporate spending."

Krugman, who is also a columnist for The New York Times, added that he was always skeptical that the new tax law would trigger the economic benefits touted by some lawmakers. But the results so far, he said, are "worse than the pessimists expected."

Wall Street usually loves buybacks because they provide persistent demand for stocks while inflating earnings per share. But Goldman Sachs (GS) expressed skepticism last week about companies focused on returning vast amounts of cash through buybacks and dividends instead of investing.

5/2/2018 11:39 PM
A NYT writer?!??! He is definitely unbiased. I work in commercial banking and I am seeing it both internally and externally.
5/3/2018 9:08 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-results-buybacks/apple-plows-u-s-tax-cuts-into-record-share-buybacks-idUSKBN1I300U

Apple plows U.S. tax cuts into record share buybacks

With a mountain of overseas cash suddenly freed up by the tax overhaul, Apple bought back $23.5 billion of its own stock in the March quarter, a record amount for any U.S. company, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices, and it added $100 billion to its target for future repurchases.

Other companies announcing plans to return cash to shareholders include Facebook Inc, which announced a $9 billion buyback program when it reported earnings last week, and AbbVie Inc, which plans a tender offer starting as early as May 1 to buy up to $7.5 billion of its stock. Broadcom Inc unveiled a $12 billion buyback program on April 13.
5/3/2018 9:11 AM
https://nypost.com/2018/01/27/sorry-skeptics-trumps-tax-plan-is-actually-working-wonders/

5/3/2018 9:12 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/3/2018 9:11:00 AM (view original):
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-results-buybacks/apple-plows-u-s-tax-cuts-into-record-share-buybacks-idUSKBN1I300U

With a mountain of overseas cash suddenly freed up by the tax overhaul, Apple bought back $23.5 billion of its own stock in the March quarter, a record amount for any U.S. company, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices, and it added $100 billion to its target for future repurchases.

Other companies announcing plans to return cash to shareholders include Facebook Inc, which announced a $9 billion buyback program when it reported earnings last week, and AbbVie Inc, which plans a tender offer starting as early as May 1 to buy up to $7.5 billion of its stock. Broadcom Inc unveiled a $12 billion buyback program on April 13.
yup, the rich get richer and the middle class gets 100 bucks a month.
5/3/2018 9:34 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/3/2018 9:11:00 AM (view original):

yup, the rich get richer and the middle class gets 100 bucks a month. Thank you for solidifying my point.
5/3/2018 9:35 AM
Does $100 per month help? Worry about yourself. Think about it. There is always someone wealthier. We cannot all be Bill Gates. Apple employs 1000s of people and the market for fixing phones, apps, etc. is huge. Apple does give back and support the middle class both directly and indirectly.

Why are you so focused on wealth sharing? I am perfectly happy with $100 / month. $100 more than I would have had?
5/3/2018 10:33 AM
Come on cccp, this would be such a much better Country if those who have lots of money would simply start handing it over to those with no money. That would certainly inspire those with no money to start working harder (or at all) and being more responsible.
5/3/2018 10:46 AM
I am just not following Taint's logic.
5/3/2018 11:42 AM
I wouldn't expect either of you to understand the problems that occur with extreme income inequality..by the way ours is worse than many 3rd world nations. Neither of you are exactly bright with finance smarts.

CCCPtape doesn't even know the difference between a tax deduction and tax credit, so I'm not surprised on that end. All3 is just a dumbfuck, so there's no surprise there either really.

5/4/2018 12:08 AM
Posted by The Taint on 5/4/2018 12:08:00 AM (view original):
I wouldn't expect either of you to understand the problems that occur with extreme income inequality..by the way ours is worse than many 3rd world nations. Neither of you are exactly bright with finance smarts.

CCCPtape doesn't even know the difference between a tax deduction and tax credit, so I'm not surprised on that end. All3 is just a dumbfuck, so there's no surprise there either really.

Taint, you're smarter than this. Just because the gap may be larger doesn't mean that the poor in America are worse off. The poor in America actually do pretty well compared to those in 3rd world countries. You know this, but you have become so blinded by liberal rhetoric.
5/4/2018 12:48 AM
weren't you the guy who said young kids think they k now more than they do and should probably listen more than speak?

take your own advice here
5/4/2018 12:55 AM
Okay, fine. Educate me. Do the poor in America not have it much better than most people in 3rd world countries?
5/4/2018 12:59 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/06/01/astonishing-numbers-americas-poor-still-live-better-than-most-of-the-rest-of-humanity/#6084c70254ef

Forbes seems to agree with me, but i'm open to hearing your take as well.
5/4/2018 1:01 AM
◂ Prev 1...25|26|27|28|29 Next ▸
Tax Cuts Consequences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.