Pitcher W/L Topic

The difference between Hunter and Schilling is that Schilling, over his entire career, was significantly better at preventing runs.
12/24/2017 5:08 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/24/2017 12:07:00 PM (view original):
For example, Tom Glavine has significantly more wins than Curt Schilling. Curt Schilling was a better pitcher than Tom Glavine.
He was? Do tell. I like Curt too but I don't think he was necessarily better. You stated that IP is not an insignificant stat and Glavine pitched1000+ more innings. Games played is a highly underrated stat. At 100% Schil was better but Glavine was more consistent.
12/25/2017 9:36 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 12/25/2017 9:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/24/2017 12:07:00 PM (view original):
For example, Tom Glavine has significantly more wins than Curt Schilling. Curt Schilling was a better pitcher than Tom Glavine.
He was? Do tell. I like Curt too but I don't think he was necessarily better. You stated that IP is not an insignificant stat and Glavine pitched1000+ more innings. Games played is a highly underrated stat. At 100% Schil was better but Glavine was more consistent.
I'd say they're very close...so close that I wouldn't have a problem with you saying you thought Glavine was slightly better. Those 1000 IP matter a lot. But Schilling was also much better at preventing runs. If Glavine hangs it up after 2002, he's about where Schilling finished innings-wise, still a little behind Schilling in ERA+, and about 20 WAR behind.

By going another 1000 IP, he added another 20 wins in value but dropped his ERA+ down to 118.

Again, they are close but I'd give the edge to Schilling.
12/27/2017 12:41 PM
If I had to pick a pitcher to pitch a deciding game 7 I would pick Curt, he was better. If I had to take a rookie and project whose career I would want for my team, I would probably take Glavine and his IP.
12/27/2017 8:16 PM
◂ Prev 1234
Pitcher W/L Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.