Figuring Out Strength of Preferences Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
What does the % mean? How much of a HV was unlocked?
12/31/2017 4:52 AM
Small sample size, but the top guy seems to suggest that offense/defense are weighted more than thought, close to distance almost.
12/31/2017 4:54 AM
Posted by cal_bears on 12/31/2017 4:54:00 AM (view original):
Small sample size, but the top guy seems to suggest that offense/defense are weighted more than thought, close to distance almost.
Yes, small sample size, but you probably start to get an understanding of the value of preferences, even though you won't get an exact reading from this table. And if the players are considered unequal in terms of ability then you might have to do an overall rating to determine the players strength, not to mention it would be another thing that would be needed to thrown into the equation.

If you notice on Adam, he's only a few miles away from being "very good" for distance as well. I didn't think defense weighed that much in terms of preferences, but it's possible that it's a very weak player, which would make it easier to unlock all the categories.
12/31/2017 5:23 AM
"I also "assumed' that all D-3 players were the same, but I may be wrong on this. "

I don't think is true. It wasn't in 2.0 and I don't think they changed it. Whenever I try to run some experiments I get hung up on this.
12/31/2017 7:57 AM
It's a start, I just won a 63% to 37% B+ to A+ and figured I won it on prefs prolly
12/31/2017 8:25 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/31/2017 7:57:00 AM (view original):
"I also "assumed' that all D-3 players were the same, but I may be wrong on this. "

I don't think is true. It wasn't in 2.0 and I don't think they changed it. Whenever I try to run some experiments I get hung up on this.
Sorry, you're saying they are not equal at D-3? Even if they weren't, I couldn't imagine there would be a huge difference. Do you think it would go by overall rating or do you think it uses the WIS system of, for instance, ranking D-1 players?

Maybe it would just make more sense to scout D-1 players and then do it, for example, #192 overall, #193 overall, #194 overall and so on, since D-3 doesn't rank players?
12/31/2017 11:47 AM
Posted by zorzii on 12/31/2017 8:25:00 AM (view original):
It's a start, I just won a 63% to 37% B+ to A+ and figured I won it on prefs prolly
You mean on Roberts? UNC had the preferences and with a full grade prestige advantage. He just didn't have the resources left to compete.
12/31/2017 2:23 PM
We had the same pref. It's strong defense pref that sets us apart imo.
12/31/2017 3:25 PM
Posted by zorzii on 12/31/2017 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, but he had the "wants success" preference and probably carried slightly more weight than the 1/5th of a advantage you had for good defense. But let's just say it turned out to be 50/50, that just meant with a 63/37 signing advantage, you put in more resources than he did. Seems like UNC was in 2-3 tough battles and the guy you ended up getting was probably more like a 4th option for him.
12/31/2017 4:16 PM (edited)
is it possible that each recruit has their own weighting on preference importance. Certainly preferences are a guide but I am thinking the initial ratio of scholarship opening versus effort is likely a better indicator of "true preference".
3/3/2018 3:42 PM
Posted by ningles on 3/3/2018 3:42:00 PM (view original):
is it possible that each recruit has their own weighting on preference importance. Certainly preferences are a guide but I am thinking the initial ratio of scholarship opening versus effort is likely a better indicator of "true preference".
I have my doubts that is the case, at least it wasn't mentioned in Beta. But the ranking of the recruit does have an impact, which makes it hard to compare. If you're a D-1 C prestige team, it will take more effort to offer a scholarship to the #1 ranked player, compared to the 100th ranked overall player, even if the preferences are the same.
3/4/2018 2:59 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 12/31/2017 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 12/31/2017 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, but he had the "wants success" preference and probably carried slightly more weight than the 1/5th of a advantage you had for good defense. But let's just say it turned out to be 50/50, that just meant with a 63/37 signing advantage, you put in more resources than he did. Seems like UNC was in 2-3 tough battles and the guy you ended up getting was probably more like a 4th option for him.
Obviously really late, because I didnt see this until today.

I was all in on Roberts HV/CV/Start/Minutes wise. I dont 100% remember but I think I was on him alone for a little while (zorzii can you confirm?) so I didnt put a lot of AP into him if my memory serves me right.
3/4/2018 9:25 PM
bump
3/6/2019 6:39 AM
Figuring Out Strength of Preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.