Omar Vizquel Topic

One voter submitted a ballot with just Vizquel and Thome on it. These guys need to have their votes revoked.
1/5/2018 4:38 PM
At least that guy put his name on it and took the criticism. I can't imagine how awful some of the anonymous ones are.

Hall needs to make every ballot public. They also should have made a decision on the steroid guys, either tell the voters to ignore steroids when voting or take them off the ballot altogether. Now the ballot is overcrowded and the writers can only vote for 10 guys. I think Andruw Jones is a pretty clear hall of famer to me and he might not even get enough votes to stay on the ballot. He wouldn't get in on the first ballot but if there were unlimited votes he would no doubt get at least 5%.
1/5/2018 5:02 PM
I don't blame the Hall for the PED problem. If they said "Go ahead and vote for Bonds and Clemens", plenty of voters still wouldn't. They're not waiting for permission.
1/5/2018 7:24 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 1/5/2018 5:02:00 PM (view original):
At least that guy put his name on it and took the criticism. I can't imagine how awful some of the anonymous ones are.

Hall needs to make every ballot public. They also should have made a decision on the steroid guys, either tell the voters to ignore steroids when voting or take them off the ballot altogether. Now the ballot is overcrowded and the writers can only vote for 10 guys. I think Andruw Jones is a pretty clear hall of famer to me and he might not even get enough votes to stay on the ballot. He wouldn't get in on the first ballot but if there were unlimited votes he would no doubt get at least 5%.
Andruw Jones??? why is he a clear hall of famer? I don't see it. Good defense and 400+ homers, but other than that?
1/5/2018 7:29 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 1/5/2018 7:29:00 PM (view original):

Andruw Jones??? why is he a clear hall of famer? I don't see it. Good defense and 400+ homers, but other than that?
Agreed. He's basically Steve Garvey to me. A not-quite-a-HOFer.
1/5/2018 7:53 PM

He won 10 straight Gold Gloves, one of the best defensive center fielders of all time. Plus the 400 home runs.

If you think Vizquel should be in, then I don't see how you could oppose Andruw.
1/5/2018 8:03 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/5/2018 4:38:00 PM (view original):
One voter submitted a ballot with just Vizquel and Thome on it. These guys need to have their votes revoked.
proly a CLE guy
1/5/2018 10:31 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 1/5/2018 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/5/2018 4:38:00 PM (view original):
proly a CLE guy
Ya. And I don't mind one or two homer votes, but how do you leave the rest of your ballot blank?
1/5/2018 11:27 PM
proly a CLE guy put on this earth to irritate you
1/6/2018 4:20 AM
stats are cool. but sometimes you watch a guy every day and he excels. the suits from around the country come in and feature the game on the national game of the week and build him up for one radiotelecast but they don't truly give a sh*t because they're media pros whoring the sport from media towns that own the world and then they're gone till next year

voters for jeter are the stupidest social f*cks

vizquel was the slickest fielding SS i ever saw on a every day basis except for ozzie, who i did not see on a every day basis but i saw pretty often because he too lasted forever

SS is 75% fielding and 25% hitting, something like that

he was the slickest fielding SS i ever saw

he goes in my Hall
1/6/2018 4:42 AM
If Jones deserves to be in then so does Jim Edmonds. Tough to compare a SS to a CF. SS has more chances, turns double plays,etc.
1/6/2018 11:30 AM
Posted by 06gsp on 1/5/2018 8:03:00 PM (view original):

He won 10 straight Gold Gloves, one of the best defensive center fielders of all time. Plus the 400 home runs.

If you think Vizquel should be in, then I don't see how you could oppose Andruw.
where did I say I thought Vizquel should be in?
1/6/2018 1:52 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 1/5/2018 2:21:00 PM (view original):
because dWAR, WAR and those kinds of stats are flawed statistics.
Exactly. Every time I mention that on the r/baseball on Reddit, I get tempbanned.

I was on this one thread titled “Greatest player you ever saw play”, you know what the top comment was? The one with the most likes?

Clayton Kershaw, he’s 4 WAR away from Sutton.

I facepalmed so hard. Instead of mentioning his ERA, WHIP, H/9, BB/9, hardhit %, FIP, or any of his otherworldly stats...they mention ONLY his ******* WAR
1/6/2018 2:52 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 1/6/2018 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 1/5/2018 2:21:00 PM (view original):
because dWAR, WAR and those kinds of stats are flawed statistics.
Exactly. Every time I mention that on the r/baseball on Reddit, I get tempbanned.

I was on this one thread titled “Greatest player you ever saw play”, you know what the top comment was? The one with the most likes?

Clayton Kershaw, he’s 4 WAR away from Sutton.

I facepalmed so hard. Instead of mentioning his ERA, WHIP, H/9, BB/9, hardhit %, FIP, or any of his otherworldly stats...they mention ONLY his ******* WAR
Totally 100% agreed. Everyone wants to take the easy route and use WAR. You just can't simply use that one stat to definitively compare players.
1/8/2018 8:05 PM
If you compare Vizquel to other HOF Shortstops this is how he adds up:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tiny/CI9rL

At first I couldn't see Vizquel in the HOF but when comparing his career to other Shortstops I don't think he can be left out.
Besides his 11 Gold Gloves he is 3rd in Hits, 3rd in Runs, 4th in SB and 4th in doubles. He will not get in this year but eventually I believe he will make it.
1/20/2018 11:23 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Omar Vizquel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.