Budget...Again Topic

There has to be a better way to do the budget. The use it or lose it philosophy drives me crazy, At the end of every coach and IFA signing the contracts get nuts.

Fixes 1. Let money roll from one season to the next. It can be capped or a percentage or just the amount left in line item or contingent on signing up for the next season.
2. Either or both reduce the 2 million budget transfer and/or reduce the penalty for transferring the budget.
12/31/2017 3:37 PM
No on carryover. Imagine the tanking that would go with that.

The solution, IMO, is to group payroll, prospect and coaching in one budget. Put a floor on each to prevent people from screwing themselves.
12/31/2017 4:20 PM
If you put a cap on the amount that could rollover (ie 5 to 15 million) or only limited to a percentage (maybe winning percentage) of left over money rolls over that would stop the value of tanking. Grouping the budget items might help a little but would not address the use it or lose it issue.

Another idea would be just eliminate the budget except the payroll. Eliminate IFA, coaches, scouting, training etc and make everyone equal.
12/31/2017 7:30 PM (edited)
Any carryover is a bad idea.

Use it or lose it is how yearly budgets work.
1/1/2018 8:45 AM
"2. Either or both reduce the 2 million budget transfer and/or reduce the penalty for transferring the budget."

Seeing the percentage comment above - tie in the transfer penalty to the cumulative winning percentage on the franchise's minors. So if you're really paying attention to your system you're rewarded with the ability to transfer 50-60% of the available funds, but if you're ignoring the minors you can only transfer 20-40%.
1/1/2018 9:34 AM
Mike I hate to disagree with you but not allowing a budget carryover is a bad idea.

Use or lose it is not how works in the real world and it distorts the game.

We could use the carryover to reward those teams that watch their minors and don't tank in the majors.

Tanking it the public league especially is rampant. The current system is if you are not in the top 6 you might as well blow up your team and shoot for the top pick in the draft.

A system that rewards effective minor league management and winning at the majors even if it is to try to get to 500 would be worth while. I would like to see the leagues get more competitive where every series mattered and at the end of the season I was not playing a team that was 51-110 who was trying to "win" the first pick in the draft.

Look at how soccer dynasty runs budget 100% rollover, but 50% of annual budget is determined by team performance.
1/1/2018 12:48 PM (edited)
I'm sure there are plenty of flaws with the idea, but I like the idea that you hinted at about next season's budget being determined by performance. I feel like that would really deter tanking.
1/1/2018 1:05 PM
OK, you guys understand tanking isn't only going 30-132, right? You're 70-76 and 8 games out. You finish 2-14 while sitting your fatigued starters but you call no one up to save the "carryover" money. . Your minors are fine. You get a protected pick and "carryover" money. How on earth is that good?
1/1/2018 4:34 PM
Carryover budget is the devil
1/1/2018 4:48 PM
I wasn't talking about budget carryover. I was talking about addition/ subtraction from budget based on performance. I personally am okay with the way that it is, but cutting the budget for the teams that don't win would prevent teams from running out a $25M PP to tank.
1/1/2018 5:26 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/1/2018 1:05:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure there are plenty of flaws with the idea, but I like the idea that you hinted at about next season's budget being determined by performance. I feel like that would really deter tanking.
bad idea. Its getting tougher to recruit and you want to make it more difficult by giving the better teams an advantage.
1/1/2018 6:48 PM
Maybe, just a thought. Like I said. I'm happy with the way it is.
1/1/2018 6:53 PM
I know I am just pushing ideas that will never be implemented. I think it is stupid not to have budget carryover we rollover players. No one has given me any reason it is bad other than tanking which is pervasive anyway. I wish HBD would give us a chance to design our own leagues. Things I would change include the budget, (rollover & transfer), coaching, scouting, and IFA. Eventually someone will come up with a better baseball simulator and HBD will go the way of all things tech until then we are stuck with what we have.
1/1/2018 8:31 PM
Posted by stews_blues on 1/1/2018 8:31:00 PM (view original):
I know I am just pushing ideas that will never be implemented. I think it is stupid not to have budget carryover we rollover players. No one has given me any reason it is bad other than tanking which is pervasive anyway. I wish HBD would give us a chance to design our own leagues. Things I would change include the budget, (rollover & transfer), coaching, scouting, and IFA. Eventually someone will come up with a better baseball simulator and HBD will go the way of all things tech until then we are stuck with what we have.
Because your idea gives teams, which are already better, an even greater advantage with more $$.

1/1/2018 8:44 PM
Posted by Vitamin_C on 1/1/2018 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stews_blues on 1/1/2018 8:31:00 PM (view original):
Because your idea gives teams, which are already better, an even greater advantage with more $$.

Actually no that is not true. Teams that are better normally have larger payrolls and smaller budget surpluses therefore they would have less to rollover to the next season. A team in the midst of rebuilding would have a smaller payroll and larger surplus to rollover so it would actually be an advantage to the weaker team. This is why some would say that it would promote tanking. Which is why I would suggest that the amount available to be rolled over be capped or based on some percentage. One idea would be to do a weighted winning percentage of all teams in the franchise it would discourage tanking and promoting paying attention to your minors. If HBD actually had any interest in doing something like this an analysis of the effect could be done relatively easily. .
1/1/2018 11:33 PM
123 Next ▸
Budget...Again Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.