Regular Season Games of the Year Topic

I thought I'd put together the Game of the Year at each level. Never tried this before, but thought I'd give it a shot. If anyone has interest I can repeat it next season. Any feedback is appreciated.
I only had two criteria, both teams had to finish in the top 25 of WIS rankings and it had to be a one score game. I'm sure your 10 point win over Marietta was special, but I'm not going through everyone's schedule by hand.
As far as deciding factors, I looked at the stakes and how close the game was. Both teams in the top 10 in a back and forth game is better than #23 vs #25 in a 20 point comeback that falls just short.

DIII- #12 Wisconsin - La Crosse vs. Wisconsin - Oshkosk

In one of the few top 25 matchups in DIII, an explosive 2nd quarter provided all the offense Wi-LC needed for a 20-17 win in the Battle for the Frozen Cheese Curd. A balanced attack and two forced TOs, including one deep in their own territory late in the 4th quarter, was all rookie coach mroz needed to knock off perennial conference champ bsthechamp. Will the champ get his revenge or is there a new sheriff in town? Tune in tomorrow for the hotly anticipated rematch.
Box score link: https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=6647152

DII - #1 Valdosta State vs. Henderson State

Valdosta State easily played the best two games in DII this season, but their 45-42 2OT comeback win over division foe Henderson State barely outpaced a 41-34 win over #5 Truman State. Valdosta trailed by 12 in the 4th quarter before two TD passes by their Jr. QB and a last second Henderson State FG led to overtime. Both teams traded FGs in the first OT but Goodwin's 4th TD pass of the game in the 2nd OT dashed Henderson State's hopes for a 2nd consecutive conference crown.
Box score link: https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=6645818

D1A - #11 SFA vs. #4 Texas Southern

There were great games all over DIAA (N. Iowa vs. Texas Southern, Ark PB vs. Texas State, Georgia Southern vs. Drake, Texas Southern vs APB) but this early season battle was the best of the best. The game had it all, the defending champ going down, an in-state rivalry, top teams, a furious 4th quarter comeback and last second heartbreak. SFA looked outclassed early and trailed by 19 entering the 4th quarter. But SFA was able to score 22 points in their last 3 drives and hold the high octane TSU offense to only a FG in the 4th. SFA scored with 64 seconds to go and had to go for two to tie. In a play call that go down in Lumberjack history coach jeffc7823 crossed up TSU and the 14,575 in attendance at Homer Bryce Stadium by calling on little used 3rd string RB Pedro Tanner to tie it up. His short plunge sent the game into OT. SFA scored first but TSU quickly moved into scoring position. On 3rd down sure-handed Sr WR Henry Smith was open in the end zone but for the only time in 76 targets he dropped the pass. A 4th down desperation heave was knocked away and the champs were on their way to a quiet bus ride home with a 46-39 loss.
Box score link: https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=6643324

D1A - #6 Florida vs. #8 LSU
Once again there were a lot of options but this clash to kickoff conference play was at the top. The Tigers started of their SEC campaign on the right foot with a takedown of the Gators. Two 3rd quarter scores had Florida up 7 to start the 4th but that lead quickly evaporated behind a pair of LSU TD passes, including a late 52 yarder that could have ended it, but the Gators weren't done yet. An 8 play 75 yard TD drive in 1:39 tied the game up and sent it to OT. Unfortunately that is the last time UF would score. On his 39th carry, Willie Schwartz scored his only TD of the game. The LSU defense stiffened and after 4 consecutive Gator passes clanged to the ground the Bayou Bengals were partying the night away.
Box score link: https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=6645086
1/5/2018 9:00 AM (edited)
I like it...and I like the approach. No need killing yourself...there are plenty of good games that meet your criteria.
1/4/2018 5:34 PM
Nice - thanks
1/4/2018 9:56 PM
Enjoyed the read. Thanks for doing this!
1/5/2018 2:49 AM
Regular Season Games of the Year Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.