S139 National Championship Topic

Signing day! Lots of competition, it will be interesting to see how the classes end up as teams fill their needs.

TAMC only needed 9, so we wanted to fill in some need positions. I definitely like my class this season.

How'd you all do this season?
1/5/2018 1:17 PM (edited)
I thought I did all right, but of the early signings my guys average a lower overall than every team in the conference. I know overall score is not the best indicator, but maybe I put too much emphasis on high potential, avoiding human conflict and carrying over money. At least my carryover, even reduced by 75%, will be nice next season, and I should "see" better players.
1/5/2018 3:50 PM
West Liberty is having a solid recruit I believe. I'm liking my new QB. With an RS he will fit very nicely into the program. I have plans to be more balanced between Trips and SG in the future so I signed a couple of what I believe to be excellent future RB's. Big decision coming up is whether I RS one or both, I'd also like to RS my new WR but it might be better not to b/c of future class size ramifications. If I RS both RB I will need to stick with a lopsided SG gameplan again this season, which will be OK too. I still have 3 outstanding spots to fill. Hoping to add some linemen next.

WLSC won the NSIC in an upset last season. I do see the gap shrinking and thinking I might be able to defend this season. Winona State still has the edge though as they have a very good SR class to deal with.
1/5/2018 6:25 PM
Very happy with my class overall. Filled all of my needs and now going after "nice to haves".
1/5/2018 6:44 PM
Tmelonhead, I get to watch you more than some teams and I know you grabbed a few this season that was on my board. I think you have a great class this year. Btw, GL tonight in our Wilks Playoff game. I'm running a new offense so I still don't have the in and outs worked out yet but that team has been an experiment for me.

Since we got some signings going, let's look at the favorites for this season!

Here's the top 25 talent overall returning for this season and before the freshmen are added to the roster.
TOP 25 TEAM TALENT

(Rank / Team / Coach / Core / Seniors)
1 Texas A&M-Commerce akua29 67.04 18
2 Northern Michigan mrbig987 65.82 11
3 Cheyney waregl72 64.72 12
4 Presbyterian rposborne 64.66 11
5 Humboldt State jaylien1 64.22 12
6 Virginia State lsteenberg 64.21 17
7 Winona State gabby123 63.70 15
8 West Chester 2000champou 63.35 12
9 Long Island bigpoppa85 63.01 12
10 Saint Joseph`s fla_dave 62.20 8
11 Valdosta State champ83 62.12 13
12 North Alabama Fazbear05 61.63 10
13 Hillsdale omcs1981 61.60 8
14 Western New Mexico tmelonhead 61.51 10
15 Bloomsburg jms245 61.29 11
16 Mesa State wmmacken 61.06 12
17 Saginaw Valley State vetrun1457 61.03 13
18 Angelo State joeydefone 60.86 11
19 Southern Connecticut bce98a 60.67 9
20 Central Oklahoma jawz 60.56 14
21 Shepherd dawgnuts 60.53 14
22 Ferris State coachoatie 60.41 14
23 North Carolina Central bucki22 60.38 8
24 Morehouse sportsdouche 60.30 13
25 Midwestern State Linux_Box 60.29 11

1/5/2018 8:53 PM (edited)
This is my first Post. I am the coach at Dickinson in the Rockne world.

Akua29, the game of the night is awesome and it's amazing that you take the time to do that. The interviews are epic!!! I'm really excited to see what this game is all about. I just was doing a google search one day and I stumbled upon this game. It's pretty awesome and it's people like you that make this game even more enjoyable. I'll be following closely your division and act like a sponge and try to learn everything I can from you experienced players.

It sure sounds pretty competitive in this division and I'm sure there's a way to see who had the better recruiting class. As far as I'm concerned, I had too many green dot players and very few scholarships (7) I'll be able to carry over some money which will help. I didn't want to battle anyone for a player and tried to be as cheap as I could while still getting the 7 best guys I could possibly land and grab as many position needs as possible. I don't know enough to say if I did well or not but it can't be any worse than what the "sim" has recruited year prior. Maybe one of the experienced coaches could take a look and grade how I did because I have no idea.

Thanks, and have an awesome weekend!!!!
1/5/2018 9:40 PM
GL to you as well tonight, Akua.
1/5/2018 10:49 PM
Hi wvufan1234! Thank you for visiting the board and posting, it's great to have you!

The Game of the Night series is actually another blogger and coach of Hillsdale, Omcs1981 who does an amazing job to do that for us during the season. I'm glad you like the extra media and I'd encourage you to join D2 when you feel comfortable with the game settings and controls. I do most of the other articles but my content has been sorely lacking lately and I hope to re-energize this season. :)

The Rockne Media link at the top of the forums and you have to scroll down to page 2. It has some beginner links to help you learn the game. I would encourage any new player to read through the Dev Chats that are linked on that page as well. I would also encourage outside of the box thinking because there is always room for a new coach to introduce something new.

Looking at your recruit class - (just my D3 view, others probably vary depending on their style, perhaps recent D3 coaches will have more input)

Running backs - I like them both, but I'd probably aim for 35 strength as a bare minimum for a speed back and would of liked 40-45. I like how you got to 50 on speed and elusiveness with them both. If their potential is good then that strength should grow quickly.

Wide receivers - I like Lawrence but I would of tried to upgrade Pena morein recruiting. My goal in D3 would be to 50+ elusiveness, speed first then I usually looked at HND, ATH, GI. YAC is important in this game, so having a guy who has low avoidance to tackles (Elu) or lack of speed could possibly be an issue for what type of offense you are trying to run. You can make a lower elusiveness guy work with high hands so it's not the end of the world, but it's nice to get that big play ability for quick scores.

Offensive Line - Price looks good for the vision you had with your team. 54 Str, 49 Blocking is where you want to be until you can finally see those 55-60 point guys. 48 WE is exactly what you want with him and the only thing even better is if his potential is above average or higher. The 37 GI is good and the 15 TEC is low but it will improve fast.

Defensive Line - Edwards is similar and actually starts off better with 55 Str, 53 Tackling, 44 GI and 24 Tec. The 21 work ethic though is going to be too low for development. The player will still grow in the first couple years, but his gains will be lower and then he will fizzle out in the junior and senior season.

It's a great first class, nice job! A lot of coaches don't have that success in the beginning so I think you have a bright future ahead of you.

Thanks again for looking us up and GL this season!

1/5/2018 11:19 PM (edited)
So much competition in D2 this season! I ran into a human coached team on almost every single recruit. That's a good problem to have, I think! When it comes to my class, I'm pleased with the players who have signed, but I'm still battling for four recruits which could end in getting a player not signed by me which, obviously, is not ideal. My offense has to be rebuilt so this recruiting season is very important to NCCU's future success. Good luck to everyone this season!
1/6/2018 1:22 PM
As seems to be the norm these days I signed all my open scholarships, but not really the way I wanted to heading into recruiting. Over signed at a position or 2 and undersigned at the same amount at other positions. I think the guys I got will be fine. We shall see.
1/6/2018 2:32 PM
i'm excited to get through this season, and move up to D2 next season. good luck y'all
1/6/2018 4:26 PM
Very underwhelming class for Long Island. We picked up several high potential athletes, but they will be hamstrung by low WE. Not really the type of class I was hoping for when trying to capitalize on an unexpected playoff run. With the unmatched human competition, it is expected to not bring in the types of classes we all are used to....live and learn!
1/8/2018 1:08 PM
very pleased. Only needed 5 and was even able to reach down to Texas for a plus growth db. Was very nervous about such a small class but they'll help. Could this be the year we make the playoffs ????
1/8/2018 8:46 PM
I'm really happy to be beefing up my OL. witch is something I have been trying to do for the past few seasons. I'm really excited to see them grow.
1/8/2018 10:21 PM
I ended up GUESS #3. For an "underwhelming" class Poppa had the #2. Don't let him undersell you.
1/10/2018 8:46 AM
1234 Next ▸
S139 National Championship Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.