Gameplanning Help!! Topic

Hey, so I’ve been playing this game for a little over a year now but apparently I still have a lot to learn about gameplanning. I was hoping somebody with a proven track record would be willing to sitemail me with some pointers. I’ve previously spoken with 0nly who gave me great advice on recruiting and I definitely have been more successful in that aspect. My team (Mount St. Mary’s) has never been stronger, but I still find myself losing to way too many SIM’s as 20+ point favorites and I lose to pretty much every human I play against. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
1/5/2018 5:58 PM
Side note: I just now noticed I’ve been upgraded to “Hall of Famer” lol guess they set a very low bar.
1/5/2018 5:59 PM
I'm no expert and, if you already know this, ignore me. It's not for you.

SIMAI always starts the highest overall at a given position, never starts with uptempo/slow down, and plays (0) D.
1/5/2018 6:09 PM
Honestly, no idea why you lost to Delaware. Against SIMS, I go +1 always, and I set adjustments to if losing. Your 96 per would be +2 3pts if I was coaching your team. I think I would of doubled his 100lp just to give him no chance of a win...
1/5/2018 6:13 PM
Posted by zorzii on 1/5/2018 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, no idea why you lost to Delaware. Against SIMS, I go +1 always, and I set adjustments to if losing. Your 96 per would be +2 3pts if I was coaching your team. I think I would of doubled his 100lp just to give him no chance of a win...
Yea, I did double “always” for Clark (100 LP guy) and double “if leading scorer” for Conception (86 Per) & Acosta (92 Per). I played them -1 because a) their best player is a low post guy, b) they’ve only shot 30% from 3 on the year, and c) because i’m already a 3-2 defense so I figured I already cover the outside a bit more than inside as is. I’m curious is it’s my distro’s that are wrong or something. I’ve heard multiple theories on how to set them. The most I assign to anyone is 12 (Almaraz - 67/96 LP/Per & Morgan 72/72 LP/Per). Losses like this one to Deleware are common for me and I’m still trying to figure out why. Then playing human teams, even ones I’m clearly more talented than, I lose to superior coaches. I guess to summarize my post is to ask what makes a coach better than another? What did craigsmith45 (coach at Minnesota) do to beat me that I’m not aware of? Thanks for the feedback though, Zorzii.
1/5/2018 8:25 PM
Against Delaware I think I actually would have gone 3-2 -3. Their 3 front court players are all above 90 in rebounding and the 3-2 is very vulnerable to giving up offensive rebounds. They had 15 offensive rebounds and only shot 30 percent on 3s. I think rebounding is what killed you there.

I would also play Wilson at backup PG instead of Fisher. Better spd and bh and basically the same at passing. Neither is a great pg though so I don't think I would go uptempo very often, like you did against Minnesota. I expect your offense wasn't very efficient once Fisher replaced Rocha at pg.

If you need to get Fisher minutes for promises or development I'd much rather play him at SF than PG.

I'd take a little of Rocha's distribution and give it to Felder. Felder should be ok to handle a few more shots and then it will free up Rocha to be more of a distributor.
1/5/2018 9:22 PM
Yea, Hanson needs 20 minutes & to start. Fisher only needs 10. I’m definitely going to cut back on his minutes a little, I just knew he’d get a lot because I’m extremely thin/young in the backcourt. I’ll give Wilson a shot at backup PG in tonight’s game. Also adjusted some distro’s as well. Hoping for a better result tonight. Dropped 60 spots in the RPI after the Deleware loss lol.
1/6/2018 12:02 AM
Oh and against Minnesota, the reason I played uptempo was because they’re a very young team who only had 5 guys over a 600 overall. I wanted to get to their weak bench quicker. At least that was my thought process...
1/6/2018 12:05 AM
With a massive rebounding disadvantage, uptempo is always going to be vulnerable...more shots equals more rebounds up for grabs and more possessions for the other team. By the time your stamina advantage takes over they could be playing their backups anyway due to being way ahead.
1/6/2018 2:02 AM
Game plan for whatever defense the opponent runs. For my team's I can usually uptempo against man d but have to slow it down against the press. Personnel matters too but you gotta know how your team plays against each d. If your team isn't good shooters you don't want to take a bunch of extra shots against the zone.
1/6/2018 4:14 AM
Also try to pin point your strengths and weaknesses and do the same for each opponent as you play them.

Once you're a few games into the season it also doesn't hurt to look at the opponent schedule to see how team's similar to yours play them or how other teams May have beat them.
1/6/2018 4:17 AM
Exploit the hell out of any good matchups you might have on offense.
1/6/2018 4:20 AM
Posted by mrslam34 on 1/5/2018 9:22:00 PM (view original):
Against Delaware I think I actually would have gone 3-2 -3. Their 3 front court players are all above 90 in rebounding and the 3-2 is very vulnerable to giving up offensive rebounds. They had 15 offensive rebounds and only shot 30 percent on 3s. I think rebounding is what killed you there.

I would also play Wilson at backup PG instead of Fisher. Better spd and bh and basically the same at passing. Neither is a great pg though so I don't think I would go uptempo very often, like you did against Minnesota. I expect your offense wasn't very efficient once Fisher replaced Rocha at pg.

If you need to get Fisher minutes for promises or development I'd much rather play him at SF than PG.

I'd take a little of Rocha's distribution and give it to Felder. Felder should be ok to handle a few more shots and then it will free up Rocha to be more of a distributor.
Back to back road wins against humans with winning records lol thanks! Felder has been killing it too. 18 & 7 and 15 & 9 in those two games.
1/6/2018 2:36 PM
Posted by MWalpole on 1/5/2018 5:59:00 PM (view original):
Side note: I just now noticed I’ve been upgraded to “Hall of Famer” lol guess they set a very low bar.
I’ve said this about myself as well! I’m guessing it has more to do with games played and seasons spent playing. I’ve been to the second round about 10 times, and no sweet 16s ever. Not hall of fame worthy in my book. Although I do think my first sweet 16 will come very very soon now that I’ve learned more from successful coaches that have reached out to help.

I recently made made an elite 8 run with a team that I didn’t build myself. So I don’t count that one. It felt slimy. I actually dropped the team in favor of a rebuild somewhere else. I wanna be responsible for the all the success that comes my way. Not cherry pick teams.
1/6/2018 6:35 PM
Posted by MWalpole on 1/6/2018 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mrslam34 on 1/5/2018 9:22:00 PM (view original):

Back to back road wins against humans with winning records lol thanks! Felder has been killing it too. 18 & 7 and 15 & 9 in those two games.
Glad I could help.
1/7/2018 12:24 PM
Gameplanning Help!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.