Biased Media Topic

And then there's states like Washington with NO income tax, a relatively HIGH (and regressive) sales tax with many areas of very high property taxation. Folks there are just basically screwed with this new "fatten our donors" tax bill. Where's all the notice about the elimination of the personal exemption?
They may have increased the standard deduction BUT they eliminated the personal exemption. What was that last year? (says the too lazy to look) nearly as much as the increased deduction methinks? One of you financial "experts"........ please enlighten me......... how much did we lose with the elimination of the personal exemption on our first X (?) of taxable income?
1/8/2018 3:47 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/8/2018 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/8/2018 3:28:00 PM (view original):
1) I gave you the answer why. It is not because they can, it is because they have to.

2) Property taxes differ by town and I bet MA is not higher than Cali. Well the highest taxes in MA vs. highest taxes in Cali. Our income tax is 5% yours is 13%. Quite the delta. We have the best schools and hospitals in the country. I would say your point is negated.

3) Again, subjective. Trump won the election, obviously many feel that he was qualified. Your example is indeed a false equivalency. Under BHO we had the rise of ISIS and BLM...under Trump we have tax reform.

4) I have. I don't see one iota of white supremacist rhetoric. Not one, while it was under the leadership of Andrew Breitbart. It was very pro Israel. Does that make them white supremacist by your operational definition?

1) um ok. We disagree on this.

2) well, you’re ignoring the fact that MA has a flat income tax and CA has brackets. So it isn’t as simple as 5 vs 13.

CA residents pay 1% up to X, 2% up to Y, 4% up to Z, etc. you don’t get to 13% until you have income over $1m. So, to go back to your $300k CA vs IN, a guy with 300k in taxable income doesn’t pay $39k in state income tax. He pays waaaaay less than that. He never actually gets to 13%. Only 30k in income is even taxed at 10%. His effective rate is single digits.

Most people in CA pay the same or less in state income tax than MA residents. And CA has lower property taxes.
Hmmm....I'll have to look at that. I will take your word for it for every publication has 13%. Cali also has a higher sales tax and they have to borrow because their expenses outpace their revenues. It would be one thing if the budget were balanced but they borrower for infrastructure or schools.
1/8/2018 3:49 PM
Or they could lower federal spending, lower tax rates, quit using taxes for social engineering purposes and do away with ALL deductions. Sounds like a plan to me.
1/8/2018 3:51 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 1/8/2018 3:47:00 PM (view original):
And then there's states like Washington with NO income tax, a relatively HIGH (and regressive) sales tax with many areas of very high property taxation. Folks there are just basically screwed with this new "fatten our donors" tax bill. Where's all the notice about the elimination of the personal exemption?
They may have increased the standard deduction BUT they eliminated the personal exemption. What was that last year? (says the too lazy to look) nearly as much as the increased deduction methinks? One of you financial "experts"........ please enlighten me......... how much did we lose with the elimination of the personal exemption on our first X (?) of taxable income?
No for 2017 when you file in 2018 you will still have the personal exemption. Rumor has it that it will be eliminated going forward, which hurts those with big families although the child tax credit is going up and tax rate in itself will be lower. Personal exemption is about $4k per person so I lose $16k right off the bat if that is indeed accurate. That will hurt. A lot!

But if you don't itemize they doubled the standard deduction so you gain $12k there and your tax rate is lower. I have a lunch with my CPA friend on the 15th I'll see what he says and report back. :)
1/8/2018 3:53 PM

The state budget is in good shape to weather a moderate recession, and lawmakers should be able to sock away more money in reserves next year, according to projections the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office issued Wednesday.

The LAO’s outlook shows the state would finish its 2018-19 budget year with more than $19 billion in reserves – assuming lawmakers and Gov. Jerry Brown don’t make any more spending commitments. About $11 billion is obligated for the state’s rainy-day fund.

Lawmakers could spend about $7.5 billion of the surplus, although analysts recommend that they save it to prepare for a recession.

The Legislature also probably will have flexibility to spend several billion dollars in money that’s set aside for kindergarten through community college education, the report says.

The report represents a projection of how the office thinks the economy will fare next year, and what that means for the budget. It projects that the state will collect $135.5 billion in taxes and fees for the 2018-19 general fund, up from $127 billion in the current budget.

The outlook could change quickly if the federal government makes significant changes to tax policy, scraps trade pacts or withholds health insurance reimbursements, the report warned. The Trump administration and Republican members of Congress have advocated for changes to those policies this year.

“Especially in the short term, withdrawal from the (North American Free Trade Agreement) would introduce added risks to the economic outlook,” the report says.

California lawmakers are eying the favorable budget outlook and recommending ways to spend – or save – money. Sen. Steve Glazer, D-Orinda, released a statement calling for the state to use some of the surplus for a large payment on the state’s public employee pension debt.

Assembly Budget Committee Chairman Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, said the forecast suggests the state should be able to put money away for its reserves and make “responsible progressive investments to fight poverty, increase access to healthcare, improve schools and access to early education.”

1/8/2018 3:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/8/2018 12:47:00 PM (view original):
I think we should probably quit with the DNC rigged it bullshit. The DNC clearly preferred Clinton in 2016, just like the DNC preferred Clinton in 2008.

She got the nomination because she got way more votes than Sanders.
Not sure if it would be scary or wonderful to live in the imaginary World you do.
1/8/2018 4:16 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/8/2018 3:49:00 PM (view original):
1) I gave you the answer why. It is not because they can, it is because they have to.

2) Property taxes differ by town and I bet MA is not higher than Cali. Well the highest taxes in MA vs. highest taxes in Cali. Our income tax is 5% yours is 13%. Quite the delta. We have the best schools and hospitals in the country. I would say your point is negated.

3) Again, subjective. Trump won the election, obviously many feel that he was qualified. Your example is indeed a false equivalency. Under BHO we had the rise of ISIS and BLM...under Trump we have tax reform.

4) I have. I don't see one iota of white supremacist rhetoric. Not one, while it was under the leadership of Andrew Breitbart. It was very pro Israel. Does that make them white supremacist by your operational definition?

2) well, you’re ignoring the fact that MA has a flat income tax and CA has brackets. So it isn’t as simple as 5 vs 13.

CA residents pay 1% up to X, 2% up to Y, 4% up to Z, etc. you don’t get to 13% until you have income over $1m. So, to go back to your $300k CA vs IN, a guy with 300k in taxable income doesn’t pay $39k in state income tax. He pays waaaaay less than that. He never actually gets to 13%. Only 30k in income is even taxed at 10%. His effective rate is single digits.

Most people in CA pay the same or less in state income tax than MA residents. And CA has lower property taxes.
Hmmm....I'll have to look at that. I will take your word for it for every publication has 13%. Cali also has a higher sales tax and they have to borrow because their expenses outpace their revenues. It would be one thing if the budget were balanced but they borrower for infrastructure or schools.
Doesn't seem like you really know what you're talking about. Maybe don't argue about taxes?

Every publication lists 13% as the top tax rate in CA but the average household pays far less than that.

For example, someone with $60k in taxable income, a $250k property, and $25k in purchases subject to sales tax actually pays less taxes in CA than someone living in Essex County MA ($6,617 vs $7,697).

1/8/2018 4:26 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/8/2018 4:26:00 PM (view original):

Doesn't seem like you really know what you're talking about. Maybe don't argue about taxes?

Every publication lists 13% as the top tax rate in CA but the average household pays far less than that.

For example, someone with $60k in taxable income, a $250k property, and $25k in purchases subject to sales tax actually pays less taxes in CA than someone living in Essex County MA ($6,617 vs $7,697).

LOL if you only make $60k how can you afford $25k in purchases and a $250k property? Please give real examples. Giant Dummy.
1/8/2018 4:30 PM

Well, we now know why Cali runs a deficit. Spend way too much and bring in way too little.
1/8/2018 4:35 PM
BTW - very few $250k properties in Essex County unless it is a condo and then you would not qualify with only $60k in comp.
1/8/2018 4:35 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/8/2018 4:35:00 PM (view original):

Well, we now know why Cali runs a deficit. Spend way too much and bring in way too little.
The property tax rate needs to rise but it won't because people who own a lot of property in California have a lot of power.
1/8/2018 4:37 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/8/2018 4:30:00 PM (view original):

LOL if you only make $60k how can you afford $25k in purchases and a $250k property? Please give real examples. Giant Dummy.
How is this unrealistic. Of course someone making $60k can buy a $250k house. According to B_L it's okay to run a budget deficit.

ov. Jerry Brown's administration miscalculated costs for the state Medi-Cal program by $1.9 billion last year, an oversight that contributed to Brown's projection of a deficit in the upcoming budget, officials acknowledged this week.

The administration discovered accounting mistakes last fall, but it did not notify lawmakers until the administration included adjustments to make up for the errors in Brown's budget proposal last week. The Democratic governor called for more than $3 billion in cuts because of a projected deficit he pegged at $1.6 billion.

"There's no other way to describe this other than a straight up error in accounting, which we deeply regret," said H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the Department of Finance.

The agency followed its normal practice by waiting to report the errors in the governor's next budget, he said.

Brown's deficit projection was driven by more than just the accounting error, Palmer said, noting that California tax collections came in below expectations for most of the first half of the fiscal year.

The massive hole in the Medi-Cal budget surprised state lawmakers.

"It makes you wonder what else is not right. ... When something like this happens, the trust factor gets eroded, and you lose confidence in what's being provided to you," said Sen. John Moorlach, a Republican from Costa Mesa who serves on the Senate budget committee.

Making up for the Medi-Cal shortfall will mean the state can't spend money on other priorities, such as college scholarships or paying down long-term pension liabilities, Moorlach said.

The Medi-Cal program, California's version of Medicaid, is jointly funded by the state and federal governments to provide health coverage for people with low incomes.

It covers one in three Californians, at a total cost of more than $100 billion annually. About a sixth of the money comes from the state general fund and most of the rest from the federal government.

The Department of Finance said it did not account for $487 million in rebates from drugmakers that the state must pay the federal government to reimburse Washington for its share of Medi-Cal drug costs.

The state also miscalculated costs for the Coordinated Care Initiative, an experimental program in seven counties to improve care for a group of high-needs patients eligible for both Medi-Cal and Medicare, the federally funded health plan for seniors and people with disabilities.

Officials double-counted some of the expected savings, leading to a budget hole of $913 million, and undercounted the costs in San Mateo and Orange counties by $573 million.

In his spending plan, Brown proposed eliminating the Coordinated Care Initiative because he said the program was not cost effective, angering counties that said the change would shift $550 million in costs to them.

The initiative's accounting problems did not affect the administration's finding that the program should be eliminated, Palmer said.

Lol. You really don’t have any clue to taxes do you? He said taxable income. You realize theirs non-taxable income also. Child support. Gifts. Inheritance.
1/8/2018 4:38 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/8/2018 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/8/2018 4:35:00 PM (view original):

The property tax rate needs to rise but it won't because people who own a lot of property in California have a lot of power.
Or they could spend less. Just saying. People seem to always forget that option.
1/8/2018 4:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...99 Next ▸
Biased Media Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.