Biased Media Topic

So I can say I hope Julian Edelman wins the MVP next year because he is a Jew?
  1. Jews rarely if ever win MVP awards in sports
  2. White receivers never win
How would that be?
1/22/2018 7:04 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/22/2018 7:04:00 PM (view original):
How would that be?
Do white receivers not win because the NFL has been discriminatory against them for being white?

Sports are different. Measurements of "best" are significantly more objective than in things like film and television.

It's unlikely that a white person is losing out on awards because of discrimination.
1/22/2018 7:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/22/2018 7:15:00 PM (view original):
How would that be?
Do white receivers not win because the NFL has been discriminatory against them for being white?

Sports are different. Measurements of "best" are significantly more objective than in things like film and television.

It's unlikely that a white person is losing out on awards because of discrimination.
NFL disregards the slot receiver LOL.

But if something is subjective should not the best person win regardless of race or color? I don't like labels. I do understand where you are coming from but IMO that creates just a wider divide.
1/22/2018 7:16 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 1/22/2018 7:00:00 PM (view original):
well, since many on here have called me a left leaning liberal, and I don't care, you're obviously wrong! LOL
Bad Luck cares
Tangy cares
1/22/2018 7:19 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/22/2018 7:16:00 PM (view original):
How would that be?

But if something is subjective should not the best person win regardless of race or color? I don't like labels. I do understand where you are coming from but IMO that creates just a wider divide.
That's the point. Up until very, very recently, you could make an argument that blacks were being discriminated against. Look at the academy awards. They started in 1929. Best actress in a leading role didn't go to a black woman until 2001. That says a couple things 1) black women don't get cast for leading roles very often and 2) they don't get nominated for awards when they do.

The explanation for this lands in one of two places:

1) black women aren't very good at acting
2) racism

Saying "I'm rooting for black people to win" isn't divisive. It's saying "I hope that we've moved forward as a society to the point where black people get proper recognition for the work they do."
1/22/2018 7:25 PM
How would that be?
it would be a waste of time, but other than that I have no problem with it!
1/22/2018 7:26 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/22/2018 7:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/22/2018 7:16:00 PM (view original):
How would that be?

That's the point. Up until very, very recently, you could make an argument that blacks were being discriminated against. Look at the academy awards. They started in 1929. Best actress in a leading role didn't go to a black woman until 2001. That says a couple things 1) black women don't get cast for leading roles very often and 2) they don't get nominated for awards when they do.

The explanation for this lands in one of two places:

1) black women aren't very good at acting
2) racism

Saying "I'm rooting for black people to win" isn't divisive. It's saying "I hope that we've moved forward as a society to the point where black people get proper recognition for the work they do."
I think there is a difference between hoping that black people get recognition and hoping that black people solely win. You could say, 'I hope this black person gets this award because they deserve it', instead of 'I hope black people win'.
1/22/2018 8:20 PM
How would that be?
If it makes you feel better, the only black receiver to win the award was the greatest player the NFL has ever seen, Jerry Rice.
1/22/2018 8:33 PM
Tom Brady is a WR?
1/22/2018 8:37 PM
If Jerry played today, in a world tailor made for offense and the passing game in particular, he'd have 180 catches, 3000 yards and 40 Td's a year. Brady is probably the best QB of all time, Jerry is the best player of all time.
1/22/2018 8:39 PM
Maybe
1/22/2018 9:14 PM
Montana?
1/22/2018 10:11 PM
I'm a 49er fan and Montana was great, but Brady is better based on his numbers. Of course who knows how Montana would fare in today's NFL or how Brady would have fared in Montana's era. I have a feeling they would both succeed.
1/22/2018 11:25 PM
Montana didn't cheat. Like Barry Bonds being the best baseball player ever, we will never know.
1/23/2018 7:58 AM
We don't know who cheated or who did not but clearly that ball issue was way overblown.
1/23/2018 8:46 AM
◂ Prev 1...94|95|96|97|98|99 Next ▸
Biased Media Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.