how to get a top recruit? Topic

Hypothetically, if you were in your first year in D1 with a very weak team and had a chance to get a VERY good player with no preferences, what would you do?
I will offer a scholly, start, 50 minutes a game, 20 home visits and a campus visit in about that order. Do I have a chance and is there anything else I can do? Thanks.
1/10/2018 6:02 PM
It will depend on who else jumps on the recruit. At D+ prestige even if you use max resources you still won't have much of a chance against A and B prestige schools. You could give yourself a chance against a C prestige.

See what other coaches say though. This is just based off my recent experience at Colorado State. I started with them as D+ prestige and am now B-.

If I saw an A offer a scholy it was usually best to put my focus elsewhere.

Especially with no preferences.

If no big schools are targeting him, use AP and promises at first, then wait to spend money till the first chance they can actually sign, just to make sure you don't sink money into a recruit that is just gonna get taken away before signing even starts.

Thats just one opinion though.
1/10/2018 6:21 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I was either lucky in D2 and avoided all D1 human teams so I never encountered that (that I knew of).
That helps, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks!
1/10/2018 7:26 PM
1. Offer minutes first. They are a multiplier on all future actions.
2. When's his signing preference? The earlier the better!
3. Take a long look at the guy and try to think if he really is a A prestige caliber player. By this I mean, is he perfect? If so, don't even try. If he has flaws that you can live with but UNC probably can't, give it a shot.
4. I would max out the AP, then 25 minutes, scholarship and start and see where you are. If you aren't still VERY LOW and/or there isn't any B+ better schools, go all in and pray!
1/10/2018 7:32 PM
50 mpg! That dude is gonna be exhausted. 50 minutes of hell!
1/10/2018 9:14 PM
I will update my thoughts after this recruiting season. I have some thoughts that I am testing out currently on top recruits.
1/11/2018 3:32 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/10/2018 9:14:00 PM (view original):
50 mpg! That dude is gonna be exhausted. 50 minutes of hell!
This guy better have the stamina of a Kenyan marathon runner.
1/11/2018 3:51 PM
That's what I'm looking for! But it was a joke.

After reading fluff_nasty I realized what TrentonJoe said and would have to be very lucky to get someone that good.
I was worried about how all the preferences needed to be just right to get a player in D1 but now it seems more like what I did in D2 as far as finding the "quality level" of player I could get. I'm looking at preferences more but they aren't the all-deciding factors that I was worried about.
And thanks for the good additional info TrentonJoe!
1/12/2018 4:33 PM
Preferences are important especially if your a lower prestige school.

We just finished the first phase of recruiting. I recruited the 2 players I wanted and had some extra cash and there was a local 5 star recruit that had a late signing preference, he was the only recruit that was worthwhile that I could max out in home visits and campus visits. The 1 school that was listed very high had a C prestige and I have a A+ prestige. I dumped enough AP into the player to get the visits I need going into round 2. All his preference for me was very good except offense which is neutral. I promised him a start and 20 minutes. I did a campus visit and 20 home visits. after all that I am listed as High.

Currently there is 2 very high schools on the recruit one is a C and one is a B+ and another school listed at high is a B. I cant imagine the C school is very good when it comes to wants success, the B+ school should be very good and the B school should be good. I am guessing the C school has been dumping 80 AP or close to it from the start.

I have not talked to any of the schools but my guess is my school and the C school have about equal in preferences or close to equal except he has been maxing AP out while I have the minimum. Whatever it is its enough to elevate a C school to very high over a A+ school that is high.

I think this one recruit alone has proven to me that a C school can compete against a A+ school if they have a AP advantage and I believe preferences matter. I am betting if the offense was very good for me and neutral for the C school the roles of very high and high would be switched.
1/16/2018 2:33 PM
Preferences matter a lot in a case like this. If you can match offense and defense on a top player, and go all in with AP, a start, 25 minutes of playing time right from the start. One other thing is that a good coach of a higher prestige team which does not match preferences would be much less likely to jump on a recruit that has a perfect match like that. Especially if there are other targets that he is battling for. He would figure he may have to go all in to win, and may not be able to afford to do that if he is battling for other players who may be better.
1/16/2018 3:04 PM
I just posted my new strategy on my blog about recruiting. There are two but I only really document one because I am used one this time and the other was before this most recent one. I think I was able to find a decent way to focus recruits and have a better chance of signing guys and it would work great at a high prestige program as well.

https://hdtutorials.lovenetwebservices.com/

I would agree with everyone here that the biggest part is definitely the preferences. Always go for guys with preferences aligned with your school either Good or Very Good, that will give you the best success.
1/16/2018 9:16 PM (edited)
Always and never are bad suggestions.
1/16/2018 3:30 PM
Posted by obituaryconc on 1/16/2018 3:20:00 PM (view original):
I just posted my new strategy on my blog about recruiting. There are two but I only really document one because I am used one this time and the other was before this most recent one. I think I was able to find a decent way to focus recruits and have a better chance of signing guys and it would work great at a high prestige program as well.

I would agree with everyone here that the biggest part is definitely the preferences. Always go for guys with preferences aligned with your school either Good or Very Good, that will give you the best success.
Your link may not be working.
1/16/2018 3:41 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/16/2018 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Always and never are bad suggestions.
Ha, however when it comes to preferences they make a ton of sense. Why go for a player that has Bad or Very Bad preferences. That is just bad recruiting. You might need to expand your vocabulary trentonjoe.
1/16/2018 9:17 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 1/16/2018 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by obituaryconc on 1/16/2018 3:20:00 PM (view original):

Your link may not be working.
I fixed it literally a letter wrong in the link it always happens to me for some reason.
1/16/2018 9:18 PM
12 Next ▸
how to get a top recruit? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.