$52 Million Draft League Commentary Topic

Posted by samuelyork93 on 1/25/2018 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by milest on 1/25/2018 9:41:00 PM (view original):
This is the lowest assist team I've ever fielded in any league... but... I think I have enough. We'll see, but my current theory is that if you have over 50 ast% on the floor at all times, you'll be fine... but thats a theory. I will have several minutes per game with over 50 Oreb%... and will start the game with 47%, so hopefully that will help if I don't have enough ast%.

I had the same starting backcourt last season, & my starting frontcourt this season only has slightly lower total ast%. The test will be when Faried & Birdman are on the floor together, but that's almost guaraneed to be 8 mins/game or less... Good job with the evals.
My running theory is that anything under 68% isn't functional. I may be wrong though. I'll be keeping an eye on your team because if I'm wrong it'll change how I draft completely.
I used to try to have over 60, but- I've been playing around lately and I think 50 is fine. You definitely don't 'need' 68... this may be incorrect, but I currently don't think there is much difference in the impact on efg between having 50-80 ast% on the floor. I've had inconclusive tests that suggest a 'very small' boosting impact occurs at 80% & gradually increases. I've ran teams with over 150% with mins above 160 with phenomenal numbers- and I've seen great impacts at 130... I've been disappointed at times running 100 and even 120... but I haven't really played with the high end much lately & there are others who probably know more about it than me & have posted in the forums already.
1/25/2018 11:11 PM
Great stuff, sam! Thanks for the evals.

I'm iffy on my team. If things gel, it's because of a combination of boards, FTAs, and just enough 3s to give Howard room to score efficiently in the paint. If not, it's because of not quite enough defense and giving opponents too many chances at the charity stripe.

I think I'm better off in the battle of the boards than you suggest. Boe is backed up by Kris Humphries, who is very much a comparable rebounder (in the season I'm using). And I should have 48 minutes of 20 dreb% at SF, which helps gives me an advantage against many teams.
1/26/2018 9:13 AM

23. copernicus - Artis Gilmore, Scottie Pippen, Walt Frazier, Nikola Jokic, Bo Outlaw, Tracy McGrady, Bismack Biyombo
I have one major problem with this team. 99-00 Bo Outlaw. I would not play him if it was me. I never play anyone with under 10 usage it could possibly sabotage your whole team. Defense is decent as long as Jokic doesn’t play too much. He is FANTASTIC offensively but is a liability on defense. I don’t get the McGrady pick. I feel like you either picked him because you felt he shouldn’t have fell that far or because you didn’t want someone else to have him. I am not sure. I think his super high usage doesn’t fit well with the rest of your team. I also don’t like the season you plan on picking for Pippen either (I am basing these judgments on the post you made to the forum.). Playing Biyombo as many minutes as you can would definitely help you. Your assist numbers are pretty good with most everyone pitching in. Your rebounds are decent too, they definitely won’t hurt ya. Unfortunately I don’t think you make the playoffs.

vis. Outlaw: a) dude, you drafted Ben Wallace b) I have 14 points of usage amongst my starters without even considering Bo c) that's not how any of that works
vis. The Joker a) no kidding b) hence Bo (and his 95 D)
1/26/2018 9:30 AM
This is the lowest assist team I've ever fielded in any league... but... I think I have enough. We'll see, but my current theory is that if you have over 50 ast% on the floor at all times, you'll be fine... but thats a theory. I will have several minutes per game with over 50 Oreb%... and will start the game with 47%, so hopefully that will help if I don't have enough ast%.

I had the same starting backcourt last season, & my starting frontcourt this season only has slightly lower total ast%. The test will be when Faried & Birdman are on the floor together, but that's almost guaraneed to be 8 mins/game or less... Good job with the evals.
My running theory is that anything under 68% isn't functional. I may be wrong though. I'll be keeping an eye on your team because if I'm wrong it'll change how I draft completely.
the penalty floor is around 50% (and you don't see a real boost until you get like 140+) - not a theory
1/26/2018 10:27 AM
Posted by copernicus on 1/26/2018 9:32:00 AM (view original):

23. copernicus - Artis Gilmore, Scottie Pippen, Walt Frazier, Nikola Jokic, Bo Outlaw, Tracy McGrady, Bismack Biyombo
I have one major problem with this team. 99-00 Bo Outlaw. I would not play him if it was me. I never play anyone with under 10 usage it could possibly sabotage your whole team. Defense is decent as long as Jokic doesn’t play too much. He is FANTASTIC offensively but is a liability on defense. I don’t get the McGrady pick. I feel like you either picked him because you felt he shouldn’t have fell that far or because you didn’t want someone else to have him. I am not sure. I think his super high usage doesn’t fit well with the rest of your team. I also don’t like the season you plan on picking for Pippen either (I am basing these judgments on the post you made to the forum.). Playing Biyombo as many minutes as you can would definitely help you. Your assist numbers are pretty good with most everyone pitching in. Your rebounds are decent too, they definitely won’t hurt ya. Unfortunately I don’t think you make the playoffs.

vis. Outlaw: a) dude, you drafted Ben Wallace b) I have 14 points of usage amongst my starters without even considering Bo c) that's not how any of that works
vis. The Joker a) no kidding b) hence Bo (and his 95 D)
I think your team will be interesting. There's a lot I like about it, but it could end up not quite fitting together right (of course I don't know who you're planning on drafting for your last 1000 or so minutes). My concern would be that it seems your team will have drastically different usage amounts depending on who subs in. When McGrady comes in for Outlaw, for example, there would be way too much usage on the floor at once. But if Biyombo and Jokic are on the floor together, usage may swing well under 100% and lead to a penalty (unless McGrady is also in). If the SIM would give us more lineup control, that would be less of a problem, but you'll be at the mercy of random substitution patterns that may put some head-scratching lineups out there.
1/26/2018 11:26 AM
the only problem with 'too much usage' is if a low efg guy (like say, T-Mac) is taking shots away from high efg guys (like A-Train and Jokic) - so that could be a concern, yes

as far as the low usage situation goes I start at 14.5 usage points and then TMac comes off the bench behind Scottie driving up the usage a little and/or Bo driving it up a lot (presumably T-Mac comes in at the same time Biyambo does to offset the loss of usage when the Joker steps off the floor but yeah, the sim sub pattern is a joke so who knows?)

my last 4 undrafted players are all point guards w/ min 2p (but in some cases 4) of usage and I'm just going to rotate them behind Clyde
1/26/2018 11:50 AM (edited)
Posted by copernicus on 1/26/2018 10:27:00 AM (view original):

the penalty floor is around 50% (and you don't see a real boost until you get like 140+) - not a theory
I said that I said would be argued against... but I know a large boost happens at 130% bc I ve done it several times... you can call me a liar- but I've done it and seen it with my own eyes. That's all I'll say about that
1/26/2018 12:06 PM
As long as you have 10 points of usage on the floor at all times.. and 'close' to 100%, then you're good. You can run 10 points of usage all game with 95% total and never have a penalty or a problem....
There is no such things as 'too much usage' unless you have Steph, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, or some other player with an extremely high efg... you want to keep total usage under 110 for sure if you have one of more of those guys to maximize their FGA/FTA. I know there is talk of an individual usage penalty, but I've never really seen it- not with efg anyway.. I think having under 100% usage causes your top dogs to have a slight increase in TOs, but naturally as they are handling the ball more often.

My current ODL team has less than 100% usage on the floor for many minutes/game (depending on substitution patterns) and I have the 2nd best record in the league.

I hope you disregard my words and assume I don't know hat I'm talking about however- That would be fine with me, bc I don't want you guys building better teams than you currently do...
1/26/2018 12:20 PM
Great evals samuelyork93.

I'm going to try something different than expected to boost the inside defense all game long, and to provide extra scoring punch usage support on the inside, for MJ. Also going to go with more defense on at the backup PG spot than taking the obvious choice. The downfall is tons of fouls at the PF and C spots. But after failing to make the Lebron/Kemp team work a few seasons back I wanted to get more inside offense and inside defense behind Kemp this season.

Didn't dh555 win a title here using Shawn Kemp and Tree Rollins a long time ago ha ha! But as we all know I'm no dh555.
1/26/2018 12:24 PM
Posted by vancem on 1/26/2018 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Great evals samuelyork93.

I'm going to try something different than expected to boost the inside defense all game long, and to provide extra scoring punch usage support on the inside, for MJ. Also going to go with more defense on at the backup PG spot than taking the obvious choice. The downfall is tons of fouls at the PF and C spots. But after failing to make the Lebron/Kemp team work a few seasons back I wanted to get more inside offense and inside defense behind Kemp this season.

Didn't dh555 win a title here using Shawn Kemp and Tree Rollins a long time ago ha ha! But as we all know I'm no dh555.
That was me. I don't know if I won or lost in the finals, but I had Kemp, Tree, & 14-15 Steph... The last season before 15-16 Steph was available in a draft league.. I don't remeber who else I had, bc I had a very similar team in the draft league Jhsukow ran for 2 seasons- and I'm mixing the 2 in my head.. I won that league though.
Fouls are tricky.. I've drafted over 1800 several times and even 2000 before and not had an issue with them in the SIM. I've also drafted around 1700 and couldn't stop from fouling 22 times/game-- So- I don't really know what to say about fouls.. TOs can be tricky as well..
1/26/2018 12:34 PM
Posted by milest on 1/26/2018 12:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 1/26/2018 10:27:00 AM (view original):

I said that I said would be argued against... but I know a large boost happens at 130% bc I ve done it several times... you can call me a liar- but I've done it and seen it with my own eyes. That's all I'll say about that
I'm just quoting Ash about the 140 thing but it's not a hard boundary clearly (my post was more a commentary on sam's 68% remark)
1/26/2018 1:11 PM (edited)
Posted by milest on 1/26/2018 12:21:00 PM (view original):
As long as you have 10 points of usage on the floor at all times.. and 'close' to 100%, then you're good. You can run 10 points of usage all game with 95% total and never have a penalty or a problem....
There is no such things as 'too much usage' unless you have Steph, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, or some other player with an extremely high efg... you want to keep total usage under 110 for sure if you have one of more of those guys to maximize their FGA/FTA. I know there is talk of an individual usage penalty, but I've never really seen it- not with efg anyway.. I think having under 100% usage causes your top dogs to have a slight increase in TOs, but naturally as they are handling the ball more often.

My current ODL team has less than 100% usage on the floor for many minutes/game (depending on substitution patterns) and I have the 2nd best record in the league.

I hope you disregard my words and assume I don't know hat I'm talking about however- That would be fine with me, bc I don't want you guys building better teams than you currently do...
individual penalty is discussed in FAQ and impacts FG% and TOs a little like fatigue - how much? who knows?
1/26/2018 12:54 PM
Right.. I didn't mean to say it's not a real thing- but it's hard to get too... we've all had players who average 15-20 shots per game IRL put up 40 shots in the SIM and shoot a high percentage and not necessarily have a boat load of TOs.. What I meant was that, it may exist, but you don't need to worry about it- if you have 95% or more usage on the floor at all times, you won't reach it... I don't know the usage floor is to reach an individual penalty- or how many more shots a player needs to take per game vs RL to reach it- but it's a lot. We recently had a theme league which only allowed 2 players per roster with 4 points of usage or more... and everyone else had to be a under 2 usage points.. Needless to say- there were several teams that had less than 100% usage, and some that played half the game with less than 90% usage... and there weren't any glaring problems that im aware of... The individual usage penalty undoubtedly exists-- but when does it occur and at what detriment? I personally would say it isn't likely to occur unless your usage is WAY under 100% for an extended period of time... I 'could' be wrong, but I doubt that considering my Kobe team won that league I was just talking about- and I rarely had 100% usage on the floor (easily less than half of the game) and it was much lower than that when either Kobe or Steph sat.
1/26/2018 2:34 PM
This is what I'll say about "too much usage." When I say that I don't necessarily mean that having "too much usage" will cause some negative effect on your team. When you have too much usage on the court, though, it means you've got usage you paid for that you're not using and are likely sacrificing elsewhere as a result, most commonly in terms of efficiency but sometimes in other areas as well. The key to success in this league is generally to be as lean and efficient with the money you have as possible - to avoid paying for excess minutes and usage that you don't need at the expense of one or all of less efficient possessions (lower shooting %s, more turnovers), fewer possessions (less rebounding), or letting your opponent use their possessions more efficiently (defense, steals, blocks). The margins between teams are generally going to be small, so giving up fractional amounts in those other areas in order to have minutes and usage that aren't needed can be the difference between making the playoffs and missing them.

As a result, in my experience (and this is anecdotal evidence, not empirical evidence, so take it with as large a grain of salt as you need) teams that do a better job keeping a consistent usage level of around 100-110% on the floor will be better off than teams that fluctuate between, say, 90% and 120% (or even wider than that) depending on who's in the game.
1/26/2018 2:57 PM
What tar said.
1/26/2018 3:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
$52 Million Draft League Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.