$52 Million Draft League Commentary Topic

Posted by maglor1 on 1/24/2018 5:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 1/24/2018 5:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by maglor1 on 1/24/2018 5:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by longtallbrad on 1/24/2018 4:47:00 PM (view original):
Swen Nater! About as good a rebounder as there is in the sim, and a bad enough defender that I haven't seen him drafted for several seasons in this league.
Now that draft is over, I think, it would be very interesting if we do something like 52 or 53 million dollar draft with everyone being forced to accept one famous player that almost never gets drafted, like Nate Thurmond, Elvin Hayes, Allen Iverson, or other players people are too afraid to try. And not only do they have accept that famous player, they have to play that player more than 2000 minutes in the season or they have to forfeit their playoff spots.
$52 mil would be too high of a cap for that. More like $47 mil or maybe $50 mil. And it may be harder than you think to figure out who those 24 guys are gonna be. But really, that's the concept of LTB's Joes not Pros league, which everyone needs to come join in the classifieds!
Are you sure? Because this is a league I envision everyone needing to lock up 8 to 10 million dollars on players like Thurmond or Hayes. In fact, we may force people to select a season that is more than $7 million for these "Joe"s . If it is $47 million, you are basically asking someone to build a team with $40 million dollars that can hide all the problems that big Joe has.

In fact, we may want to try both 47 mil version and 57 mil version. 47 mil version will have players fight over getting the best of "Joe" possible while 57 mil version will have players fight over "least restrictive" of the Joes. Totally different emphasis, I think.
Those players play a lot of mins/$. It depends on how many of those type of players you envision on each roster, but anything above $50 is going to be too much. Especially if it's only 1, and without a banned list. It will be to easy to 'hide all of the problems that big Joe has', or even lessen his mins/game to lessen his impact. A cap above $50 would lessen the challenge using a guy like Iverson...

There was a league similar to Joes/Pros league a few years ago where each owner named 3 'Joes' with Salaries above $7 when we signed up, which were randomly assigned to each owner. We had to build a team using only real life teammates (the season used had to be one in which they actually played together- no twisting) of the 3 Joes- and the Cap was very low. I had Iverson, Cowens, & Gallatin...

I think a cool league would be to name 2-3 players with a salary above $7M, and 'maybe' a 3rd or 4th over $6 (to expand the pool a little). Then the owners draft from that pool of players. Then the owners can fill the roster with any available players. A high cap would allow owners to just pick Lebron & the best players- and or accumulate enough mins to reduce the mins that the drafted players are meant to play... The cap should be $50 or lower for that. You will be using at least $7 on 3 or 4 guys, but again- they will be playing a lot of minutes for that money--

It seems like you want to do that with only 1 $7M+ 'Joe'-- A high cap wouldn't make much sense in my opinion.
1/24/2018 9:20 PM (edited)
Posted by bds9992 on 1/24/2018 6:14:00 PM (view original):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14NctU3nuq-5E0w8dA53LM-qxyi3UjCQ15pu7W-wzIUE

full spreadsheet of picks

thoughts on my team?

I'll trade anyone: you offer your thoughts on my team, I'll do the same for you (that is, if you want that).
Bds- I like your team in general- but Kevin Love ruins it for me. I don't think he even belongs in this league.. I know that may not be a popular opinion amongst the other DH52 owners, but it is my opinion....
1/24/2018 9:16 PM
Posted by milest on 1/24/2018 9:16:00 PM (view original):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14NctU3nuq-5E0w8dA53LM-qxyi3UjCQ15pu7W-wzIUE

thoughts on my team?

I'll trade anyone: you offer your thoughts on my team, I'll do the same for you (that is, if you want that).
Bds- I like your team in general- but Kevin Love ruins it for me. I don't think he even belongs in this league.. I know that may not be a popular opinion amongst the other DH52 owners, but it is my opinion....
2011 Love is a fantastic rebounder. Wanted someone with a clean game. Three point shooting was extra. Felt like I was going to get into foul trouble if I went for Boozer, on top of Draymond, Ward, McMillan. Turnover concern as well.

I needed a better than average rebounding team; Noah is about average for this league. Love was my favorite option.

we'll see if we shoot 45% from the field as a team, if Boozer could've corrected that. I'm happy with Love for now.
1/24/2018 9:19 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 1/24/2018 9:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by milest on 1/24/2018 9:16:00 PM (view original):

thoughts on my team?

2011 Love is a fantastic rebounder. Wanted someone with a clean game. Three point shooting was extra. Felt like I was going to get into foul trouble if I went for Boozer, on top of Draymond, Ward, McMillan. Turnover concern as well.

I needed a better than average rebounding team; Noah is about average for this league. Love was my favorite option.

we'll see if we shoot 45% from the field as a team, if Boozer could've corrected that. I'm happy with Love for now.
That does makes sense, to be honest.... Assuming you needed the Usage- But Bynum & Wade (and their backups) could cover most of those needs.

I also just realized you drafted him at the 5th/6th turn. Your 3 picks there were very nice.. well, at least the 2 in the 6th. Lol. Just kidding, but I do like Bynum. I think you can win with him using his best season in the ODL with the right roster around- and he has variety valuable seasons for this league as well. The only downside to Nate is the fouls- He, Ward, & Dwade make a nice backcourt... I'm not sure what I think about Draymond, tbh-- I think he's someone you can take advantage of his unique skillset & possible use players at G that you usually cannot and that other owner cannot (which you didn't necessarily do- and that's not a 'knock')- but I dislike his TOs, streaky shooting, and that he doesn't give you many offensive boards... You've got an interesting squad- I'm just starting the process of looking at them for the division draft (I'll try to get it in by Fri night), so you'll eventually see how I rank it,, I'm not sure yet
1/24/2018 9:38 PM (edited)
Definitely using 11-12 Bynum
10-11 Love
13-14 Noah
93-94 McMillan
08-09 Wade
15-16 Draymond
97-98 Ward

for reference
1/24/2018 9:56 PM
Dwyane Wade, Draymond Green, Joakim Noah, Charlie Ward, Kevin Love, Andrew Bynum, Nate McMillan

bds, I love the Wade-Draymond combo. Noah didn't fit right to my mind. Since his efg and dreb are subpar, the chief reason to draft him is that his passing can give you some flexibility to focus on other things in your backcourt. But you've got plenty of passing throughout the team, so I think it would have made sense to look in another direction and grab, say, Brent Barry or Willis Reed. Similarly, Charlie Ward doesn't bring a lot. On the other hand, he doesn't detract. He'll pass the ball around, guard his man, pop in a shot every once in a blue moon, and won't screw up much. He and Draymond are basically Wade intensifiers. I do like the Love addition; you really needed the boards he gives you (as long as you use 10-11). And he, Noah, and Bynum make for an interesting rotation. Three bigs who are are utterly different from each other.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about the squad, but I think it comes down to Wade's ability to be a one-man wrecking crew. You've built a squad that fills in around him, and should have a shot at making the playoffs.
1/24/2018 10:02 PM
Cool. Thanks, gents!

Tyson Chandler would've been a great fit, but he went a couple of picks early. I needed a defensive anchor. I prefer 1970 Reed to 1969, but then my usage would've been dangerously close to 115. Tried to avoid that.
1/24/2018 10:14 PM
Im doing evals right? I plan on starting on them tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get them all done by tomorrow. But I make no promises
1/24/2018 10:38 PM
do we have a league # yet?
1/25/2018 12:24 PM
Half way done with Evals at this point. I was wondering if someone could eval my team? I would like an impartial look at them if someone wouldn't mind? Thanks.
1/25/2018 1:47 PM
who are you playing at SF?
1/25/2018 3:36 PM
Posted by copernicus on 1/25/2018 3:36:00 PM (view original):
who are you playing at SF?
Me? Probably Carter
1/25/2018 3:59 PM

Evals about to be posted.

WARNING: I do not know exactly which seasons you all will be using so I am going to make my best educated guesses, these evals will reflect that. Also, some of these evals may sound harsh but I have absolute respect for every owner in the sim and could be 100% wrong on everything I say on here. The sim is fickle and I have a lot in common with Jon Snow.

1/25/2018 4:34 PM (edited)
1. mikee1 - Wilt Chamberlain, Gary Payton, Anthony Davis, Mookie Blaylock, Carlos Boozer, Anthony Mason, Reggie Evans
There is a lot to like about this team. Going to be crazy on the boards, play good team ball, and make enough 3-pointers. Carlos is a glaring weak spot defensively BUT your other four starters play good enough defense to maybe make up for it. With your first 4 picks your team terrified me but Boozer is where it fell off for me for me. He plays horrible defense and his usage is too high for the other players you had drafted. BUT overall I think you have a shot at the playoffs due to everything else this team has going for it.

2. ysw128 - LeBron James, Klay Thompson, Dikembe Mutombo, Maurice Cheeks, Jose Calderon, Charles Oakley, Swen Nater
This team’s success may hinge on how you play Mr. James. Calderon and Cheeks make a good pair IF you don’t care about rebounds. I think you tried to make up for it with Nater, but if he is on the court at the same time as Calderon your defense is going to suffer harshly. I also think Klay Thompson is always drafted a little too high in this league. He scores and plays good defense but that is it. He doesn’t pass or rebound worth a darn and his minutes are kinda low to be drafted so high. Good thing is though you should be making a lot of your shots, EFG is high along with high Ast% numbers. That won’t make up for your weak rebounding compared to some of the other teams here so I think you might miss the playoffs.

3. amerk1180 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Walton, Alvin Robertson, Terrell Brandon, Roy Tarpley, Eddie Jones

At first glance this team kinda underwhelmed me. It didn’t seem to really wow me. But looking at it more closely during this eval I think this is a pretty solid unit. Drafting Bill Walton so early kinda had me worried because he plays low minutes and he can hurt your overall Oreb%, but then you drafted Alvin Robertson and Roy Tarpley and that made a big difference. Defense is also very good, not single starter under 80 if I am guessing right. The rebounds are adequate but not elite. The only weakness is there aren’t very many threes but the threes problem can be made up with the bench players I am sure. I think this team makes the playoffs.

4. gerryred - Stephen Curry, Deron Williams, Bill Russell, Buck Williams, Rodney McCray, James Worthy, Patti Mills, Chris Mullin
Bill Russell’s glaring weakness in the sim is his very low EFG. If I had to pick one play to counter that in the whole sim it would be Steph Curry. I won’t lie I really like this team. Every play seems to counter another player’s weakness. Rebounds are good enough, every one scores efficiently except for Russell. I say this with a grain of salt however. The biggest weakness I see in this team is overall defense. Teams won’t be able to score at will, but they won’t be shutting people out either. If they face a team that can keep up with them offensively they might be in trouble. I think this team still makes the playoffs though.

1/25/2018 4:20 PM
5. vancem - Michael Jordan, Shawn Marion, Shawn Kemp, Mark Price, Robert Parish, Joey Pryzbilla, Roderigue Beaubois
This team is another pretty solid unit. Defense is pretty good with Price being the weak spot there. This team is crazy efficient on the scoring end and rebounds pretty darn well. Shawn Kemp turns the ball over a whole lot, so I don’t usually draft him unless I have to, but Shawn Marion puts the ball on lockdown so it balances out there I think. I am assuming you are going to be using passing Jordan for this team. He isn’t my favorite Jordan by any means but he would fit in well here. You are week on 3s which may hurt you but other aspects of this team are so strong it may not matter. One major plus is you don’t have bad FT shooter amongst your starters and that has killed previous teams of mine. I think this is a playoff team.

6. thomcat - Shaquille O'Neal, Steve Nash, Karl-Anthony Towns, Clarence Weatherspoon, Andre Iguodala, Anderson Varejao, Adrian Dantley
If there is one thing I value in the sim more than anything else, it is defense. You can have all the rebounding, 3s, and scoring you want, but if you don’t have at least a decent defense you aren’t going to win with a cap this high. At least that has been may experience. That seems to be the exact scenario for this team. Efficient scoring? Check. Nash and Shaw are a dream combo for that. Nash and Iguodala take care of threes. And rebounding is pretty good. BUT having KAT and Nash on the same team is your down fall. Shaq, Weatherspoon, and Iguodala don’t play good enough defense to make up for their bad D. I think offensively this team will score and may out shoot some opponents, but because of defensive issues won’t win enough to make the playoffs.

7. longtallbrad - Dwight Howard, Donyell Marshall, Terry Porter, Jerry West, Tom Boewinkle, Kris Humphries, Al Horford
This team both scores efficiently and rebounds very well (when Boe is on the court). Which are both VERY important. The defense seems to be just good enough to not hurt itself in most situations and it shoots enough 3s. I love Howard in the sim and I think West is in good position to thrive when he usually doesn’t get a chance too. I think rebounding may take a dive whenever Boewinkle isn’t playing though, which is a decent amount of time. I think this is a borderline playoff team.

8. pointfwd - David Robinson, Marcus Camby, Rajon Rondo, Kobe Bryant, Larry Sanders, Blake Griffin, Ryan Anderson
I am not entirely sure what to make of this team. I have never seen the major appeal of Camby, he rebounds and defends well but not enough to make me draft him this high, especially with his limited minutes. David Robinson offers you a lot of options, he is one of the most well rounded centers in the sim. I never like drafting Kobe unless I have to because he doesn’t shoot efficient enough for his usage, but he is awesome for defense and offers decent rebounding if you play him at the 2. Overall defense for this team is pretty solid, it may take a hit with Blake griffin depending on his minutes and where you play him. This is where I am slightly confused I am not sure who you are having play where, it will be interesting to see what you do. I think you have too much usage but I don’t see that being as bad as it could be seeing as I would want to take shots away from Kobe as well. A lack of 3s and over usage really hurts this team’s chances though and I don’t see them making it to the playoffs

1/25/2018 4:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸
$52 Million Draft League Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.