$52 Million Draft League Commentary Topic

more of a thing at a lower cap but still true
1/26/2018 3:29 PM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 1/25/2018 9:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 1/25/2018 9:30:00 PM (view original):
great job on the evals sam....but you sleep on dale davis in the 6th
This is why I was asking where he will be playing. I think he will bee the key to your success.
dale davis is playing the 4 or 5..probably the 5

harper/tinsley
kawhi/j.r. smith
kg
gasol/ 2019 finals mvp and another 10mpg player
dale/ low usg boarder

in the 6th round you wont find many low usg boardsmen with his combo of defense, efg, oreb, and lowish(for his position 4.5 is not too bad) fouls...it was a tough choice between him and kris humphries but i liked the higher d and lower usg of davis

overall a pretty bleh team tho...i wouldnt be shocked if i missed the playoffs like you said....kawhi is a great player but i dont think he was the right pick for me in the 2nd...i should have went with a 4/5...sg is just too deep...i could have grabbed mcgrady later
1/26/2018 5:51 PM
Posted by milest on 1/26/2018 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vancem on 1/26/2018 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Great evals samuelyork93.

I'm going to try something different than expected to boost the inside defense all game long, and to provide extra scoring punch usage support on the inside, for MJ. Also going to go with more defense on at the backup PG spot than taking the obvious choice. The downfall is tons of fouls at the PF and C spots. But after failing to make the Lebron/Kemp team work a few seasons back I wanted to get more inside offense and inside defense behind Kemp this season.

Didn't dh555 win a title here using Shawn Kemp and Tree Rollins a long time ago ha ha! But as we all know I'm no dh555.
That was me. I don't know if I won or lost in the finals, but I had Kemp, Tree, & 14-15 Steph... The last season before 15-16 Steph was available in a draft league.. I don't remeber who else I had, bc I had a very similar team in the draft league Jhsukow ran for 2 seasons- and I'm mixing the 2 in my head.. I won that league though.
Fouls are tricky.. I've drafted over 1800 several times and even 2000 before and not had an issue with them in the SIM. I've also drafted around 1700 and couldn't stop from fouling 22 times/game-- So- I don't really know what to say about fouls.. TOs can be tricky as well..
good memory vance...yea that was me...my first draft league title

wade/west/?/kemp/tree with terry tyler and nate thurmond(!?!) as my picks...ran half-court to soften the to/fls blow and it actually worked
1/26/2018 5:55 PM
Posted by dh555 on 1/26/2018 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by milest on 1/26/2018 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vancem on 1/26/2018 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Great evals samuelyork93.

I'm going to try something different than expected to boost the inside defense all game long, and to provide extra scoring punch usage support on the inside, for MJ. Also going to go with more defense on at the backup PG spot than taking the obvious choice. The downfall is tons of fouls at the PF and C spots. But after failing to make the Lebron/Kemp team work a few seasons back I wanted to get more inside offense and inside defense behind Kemp this season.

Didn't dh555 win a title here using Shawn Kemp and Tree Rollins a long time ago ha ha! But as we all know I'm no dh555.
That was me. I don't know if I won or lost in the finals, but I had Kemp, Tree, & 14-15 Steph... The last season before 15-16 Steph was available in a draft league.. I don't remeber who else I had, bc I had a very similar team in the draft league Jhsukow ran for 2 seasons- and I'm mixing the 2 in my head.. I won that league though.
Fouls are tricky.. I've drafted over 1800 several times and even 2000 before and not had an issue with them in the SIM. I've also drafted around 1700 and couldn't stop from fouling 22 times/game-- So- I don't really know what to say about fouls.. TOs can be tricky as well..
good memory vance...yea that was me...my first draft league title

wade/west/?/kemp/tree with terry tyler and nate thurmond(!?!) as my picks...ran half-court to soften the to/fls blow and it actually worked
Blast! You revealed my secret weapon for the next draft!
1/26/2018 7:22 PM
Nice DH, I didn't realize you won with then both. I think I lost in the finals with them. I finished 2nd to you in my division that season, but I'm still pretty sure that team made the finals & lost. I could be wrong ... I had Hinrich & Donyell, with Kemp, Tree, & Steph. I looked it up
1/26/2018 8:06 PM
I agree with what Tarheel said- it's pretty obvious, but at this cap level, sometimes the best option is a higher usage guy- sometimes the only guy who meets or best meets your other criteria, has more than ideal usage-- but the extra D or reb% or whatever may be worth the 'too much' usage.. in this league

In the ODL, usage is MUCH more important for budgeting purposes as it related to Tarheel's post. You can almost just look at usage alone, and determine if a team as no chance- by if they 'have too much'. You can DEFINITELY have too much in the ODL... You can't really in this league though bc of the cap- other than wanting to maximize shots for the elite guys.
1/26/2018 8:24 PM
The division draft is really difficult btw..There are a lot of really well put together teams. I had one team ranked 1st, and ended up moving it down to like 14th, and so on...I miss bandit and his automatic top 1 or 2 spot on my list. Lol. I said I'd try to get it done tonight, but I'll finish up by Sunday. That shouldn't be too late.
1/27/2018 12:44 PM (edited)
Posted by milest on 1/26/2018 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Nice DH, I didn't realize you won with then both. I think I lost in the finals with them. I finished 2nd to you in my division that season, but I'm still pretty sure that team made the finals & lost. I could be wrong ... I had Hinrich & Donyell, with Kemp, Tree, & Steph. I looked it up
just went back to check that draft out...

that was the season you stole tree from me!...i even b!tched about it in the evals that season

" You broke my heart. Every single time I've built a Wade-defense team, I pick Tree to be my C. I usually pick him in the 4th round too. This time however, I rolled the dice and waited til the 5th so I could grab a PG. I felt good about it because there was only 2 or 3 teams that could've fit Tree on their team. Then by the time the 5th started, it was just you that I had to worry about. I thought, "he's already got a 100 d guy with crazy fouls, he doesn't need two of them." Next thing I know I'm picking Mark friggin Eaton and hating my team. You suck! "

fun fact that i had completely forgot about...that 4th round pg that i picked was mo cheeks...i ended up using cheeks 700 min season and going with the undrafted fat lever...lever/wade/nance/zo/eaton with your boy larry sanders backing up nance and eaton...averaged 20 blocks that season(i do remember that)

im surprised i beat you out for the division...looking back(and fully understanding currys impact in the sim - even his 14-15 season) you had the better team...not surprising you went further
1/26/2018 8:42 PM
Posted by milest on 1/26/2018 8:38:00 PM (view original):
The division draft is really difficult btw..Therevareca lot of really well put together teams. I had one team ranked 1st, and ended up moving it down to like 14th, and so on...I miss bandit and his automatic top 1 or 2 spot on my list. Lol. I said I'd try to get it done tonight, but I'll finish up by Sunday. That shouldn't be too late.
100% agree. Before my long absence from the league, this was much easier.
1/27/2018 12:48 AM
Nice job on the evals Sam.
1/27/2018 8:30 AM
Any chance I could get an eval on my team? I think I put together a decent team but something about it doesn’t feel right.
1/27/2018 9:16 AM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 1/27/2018 9:16:00 AM (view original):
Any chance I could get an eval on my team? I think I put together a decent team but something about it doesn’t feel right.
18. samuelyork93 - Rudy Gobert, Ben Wallace, Clyde Drexler, Vince Carter, Darrell Armstrong, Kirk Hinrich, Clint Capela

To me, it seems low on rebounds, or at least not high. Even though you've got two board lords (who are also defensive beasts) in the paint, you give up that edge by playing Vince at SF. 15 dreb% is the absolute minimum I want to settle for in my starting SF. But again, your two bigs will at least keep you in the race on the glass. Maybe more significantly, I wonder if you're going to be low on FTs since none of your drafted players get to the line an absolute ton. Also, no inside offense to speak of, so defenses might cheat toward the perimeter a bit. So I guess those are the reasons why your team doesn't quite add up to more than the sum of its parts to my mind. I was intrigued by the start, but taking two pretty similar, low-usage guys in the first two rounds limited the options for covering other bases in later rounds.
1/27/2018 11:37 AM
took strong start on the boards and threw it away, middling efg for this cap (also he dinged me for taking T-Mac in the 6th who is >>>>> than VC taken in the 4th and he has a half a point of usage guy in his starting 5 which is apparently in and of itself... bad?)
1/27/2018 11:56 AM
Yah I took VC kinda early but I needed the usage. But yah I would take VC over mcgrady any day. Better defense, great 3 point shooter, and low TOs for his usage. Yah and at the time I thought Wallace a gobert was a good idea but it was a shot in the foot later on that forced me to draft a guy like Carter so early.
1/27/2018 3:21 PM
um...?
De Tov Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
64 8.4 Tracy McGrady 02-03 Magic SF 35.4 48.3 38.6 50.5 4.3 13.7 18.7 1.9 1.2
80 8.2 Vince Carter 00-01 Raptors SG 30.8 48.0 40.7 50.9 6.0 8.7 12.8 1.8 1.6

so defense and what else? (ps perimeter % is practically equal (slight nod to T-Mac on both that and actual attempts) and Mcgrady goes to the line a lot more than cousin Vince which, while of course nerfed by the sim, is still a plus on the ledger)
1/27/2018 8:30 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
$52 Million Draft League Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.