Also, it's likely Williams didn't anticipate a high throw and Diggs having to leap to make the catch. He "plunged" low and to the left, again, to tackle Diggs in bounds and end the game. In response to your original post.

I'm not saying you're absolutely ridiculous in assuming a fix, but all of those things sound a lot more likely than what you're suggesting.
1/15/2018 2:14 PM
Posted by zorzii on 1/15/2018 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 1/15/2018 2:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 1/15/2018 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Check all angles, Williams is tackling in an empty space, he went to the left of Diggs and tackled. Not even close to the wide receiver. Even Diggs is all alone and can't believe it after that athletic high leap.
He went left (toward the sideline) to prevent Diggs from getting out of bounds, stopping the clock, and letting the Vikings set up for a 47-yard FG for the win. Had Williams succeeded, Diggs would have been tackled in bounds and the clock would've run out.
That'd be prolly the explication of that botched play. He overthought what he needed to do and anticipated Diggs would go his way. Yet, Diggs is in the air and he already had missed.
Sure, then we're back to him being a 21-year-old rookie in a pressured situation.
1/15/2018 2:16 PM
Just trying to make sense of it. One thing for sure, Williams is mentally weak or cannot sustain pressure. That play will haunt him forever.
1/15/2018 2:17 PM
Posted by zorzii on 1/15/2018 2:17:00 PM (view original):
Just trying to make sense of it. One thing for sure, Williams is mentally weak or cannot sustain pressure. That play will haunt him forever.
Hopefully it won't, but it's possible. I wouldn't even stay he's mentally weak. He's 21.

When I was 21, I ate 30 White Castle hamburgers while drinking coffee. I was in the bathroom for three days. We mess up.
1/15/2018 2:20 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/15/2018 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I lost some money on the game, but I didn't see anything "off" about the play. It was just a really, really bad play. Rookie got excited to end the game. He missed the tackle by trying too hard to cut off the sideline and ensure the receiver stayed in the field of play and the clock kept running. It was the right idea, just too aggressive and very poor execution.
dasher, is, as usual, correct, in my opinion.

i was screaming at the tv and telling anyone who would listen that williams should be cut immediately and have to walk home. I actually refused to even say his name and kept calling him "43" even though i know his name.

but after some reflection i realize he is a very good young player who made a bad mistake.

that type of tackle (head down kind of spearing the lower body of opponent without using arms to wrap the up) is probably my biggest pet peeve. i just really dont understand it but see it all the time.

but i think the biggest issue was he was trying to hit diggs in such a way so that he might keep him in bounds... which would have been really tough at the angle he was coming

also, let dont forget that our offense had 3rd and 1 with about :40 seconds left and got nothing. if we can get that first down, we make the go ahead kick with no time on clock.
1/15/2018 2:21 PM
and really, if he makes the "normal" play that I and most others want him to make... i think diggs is carried out of bounds and vikes have a really good kicker in a dome with a 50 yard field goal to win it. i mean... i would have preferred that. but realistically i think we still lose
1/15/2018 2:25 PM
zorrii must have meant "IF williams is mentally weak....."

and i agree with him if he intended the IF to be in there.

if zdude is saying, on the basis of that play, that williams is mentally weak... that doesnt make sense
1/15/2018 2:28 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by zorzii on 1/15/2018 2:17:00 PM (view original):
This is dumb. You don't get to the NFL if you're mentally weak. You probably break in HS.
1/15/2018 2:35 PM
If you want to talk about conspiracy I'd look at the Vikes not kicking the final extra point to prevent covering the spread ??
1/15/2018 2:38 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 1/15/2018 2:38:00 PM (view original):
If you want to talk about conspiracy I'd look at the Vikes not kicking the final extra point to prevent covering the spread ??
+1
1/15/2018 2:38 PM
I don't know you personally but if you live your life with that bullshit I seen it on TV, anybody else could probably have done it logic, then you suck as a person. I wonder how many daily mistakes you make under non pressure situations, while not playing against elite athletes.

You wrote "prolly". I bet you've been spelling for longer than dude has played football. But you like most others PROBABLY hold others to a higher standard than yourself.
1/15/2018 2:44 PM
Posted by cardman17 on 1/15/2018 2:44:00 PM (view original):
I don't know you personally but if you live your life with that bullshit I seen it on TV, anybody else could probably have done it logic, then you suck as a person. I wonder how many daily mistakes you make under non pressure situations, while not playing against elite athletes.

You wrote "prolly". I bet you've been spelling for longer than dude has played football. But you like most others PROBABLY hold others to a higher standard than yourself.
https://media.giphy.com/media/cga6vXMLlOSw8/giphy.gif
1/15/2018 2:47 PM
Cardman : Breathe. I am just starting a conversation about something amazing that happened yesterday. Everyone is entitled to his opinion.
1/15/2018 3:22 PM
I suspect either someone is a saints fan, or lost money on the game. Williams is an elite athlete, playing against other, more experienced elite athletes. Mistakes happen in that situation. He also made a good interception that allowed the Saints to even have a chance to win the game.

He was too aggressive on this play, and cheated too far to the sideline. The smart play was to play the ball, stay behind the receiver and try to defend the pass; then the worst case scenario is Diggs makes a great catch, manages to fight his way out of bounds with enough time for a long field goal attempt. It was a mistake, but not a particularly stupid one. Players far more experienced than he have made worse mistakes.
1/15/2018 3:25 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.