Garo Yepremian's pass against Washington.
1/15/2018 9:03 PM
The colts trick 4th down play, against the Patriots, where they had 2 vs 5 in the middle of the field, everyone else lined up to the right and tried running it has to be up there with the worst plays ever.

But from what I viewed, there is almost no explanation for what happened in the Saints/Vikings game. He ran to the side of him and ducked. Was he tackling a ghost when he put his head down, there was nobody there? It wasn't a conspiracy, but I can't come up with a logical explanation for it.

But what could've made this the worst play in the history of sports, and put it over the top is, not only did William's make an awful play, but he also knocked out his own CB in the meantime, who maybe had a chance to make the play.... in a way it was pretty comical. At least Buckner got part of his glove on the ball..lol

As they say, only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning. Even 2 plays before that, they gave them a 20 yard play(actually a 30 yard pass since he threw he from his 10), which potentially was one pass away from the Vikings kicking a FG and winning anyway.
1/15/2018 11:53 PM (edited)
For those of us of a certain age, there was the “Miracle at the Meadowlands” in 1978, which was an egregiously bad play to lose a game that was all but won.
1/15/2018 11:15 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 1/15/2018 11:53:00 PM (view original):
The colts trick 4th down play, against the Patriots, where they had 2 vs 5 in the middle of the field, everyone else lined up to the right and tried running it has to be up there with the worst plays ever.

But from what I viewed, there is almost no explanation for what happened in the Saints/Vikings game. He ran to the side of him and ducked. Was he tackling a ghost when he put his head down, there was nobody there? It wasn't a conspiracy, but I can't come up with a logical explanation for it.

But what could've made this the worst play in the history of sports, and put it over the top is, not only did William's make an awful play, but he also knocked out his own CB in the meantime, who maybe had a chance to make the play.... in a way it was pretty comical. At least Buckner got part of his glove on the ball..lol

As they say, only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning. Even 2 plays before that, they gave them a 20 yard play(actually a 30 yard pass since he threw he from his 10), which potentially was one pass away from the Vikings kicking a FG and winning anyway.
If he was adhering to prevent principles, he would have stayed behind the receiver, positioning himself (once the ball is in the air) to tackle and keep in bounds, if caught. My best guess is that he was too aggressive in trying to protect the sideline, misjudged the ball, got there early, and instinctively ducked away to avoid a potentially costly pass interference call. In other words, he got caught in a bad spot, and made the poorer of a couple bad choices in a split second.
1/15/2018 11:58 PM
◂ Prev 1234

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.