Withdrawing a Redshirt Topic

Posted by shoe3 on 1/18/2018 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2018 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Is there any upside to informing of redshirt? Sure, he'll accept once the season starts but, if a guy is upset over it in-season, you remove it and all his WE comes back.
Sure, if it’s a guy you’re going to land for cheap, and your intention is to redshirt him or look elsewhere, it guarantees that he’ll take it. Otherwise there’s a chance that he won’t, and that can mess with your season’s plans.
Since your intention is to redshirt, he's not part of your season's plans. Sitting on the bench and not playing is the same as a redshirt.

And since there's no apparent penalty for cutting a player you recruited, I don't see how it's a problem. I fail to see the upside.
1/18/2018 2:16 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2018 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Is there any upside to informing of redshirt? Sure, he'll accept once the season starts but, if a guy is upset over it in-season, you remove it and all his WE comes back.
Sure, if it’s a guy you’re going to land for cheap, and your intention is to redshirt him or look elsewhere, it guarantees that he’ll take it. Otherwise there’s a chance that he won’t, and that can mess with your season’s plans.
Since your intention is to redshirt, he's not part of your season's plans. Sitting on the bench and not playing is the same as a redshirt.

And since there's no apparent penalty for cutting a player you recruited, I don't see how it's a problem. I fail to see the upside.
There isn’t a lot of upside. Which is why I only do it with the kind of player I wouldn’t be interested in keeping, unless he redshirts; the kind of player who projects into something useful by his fourth year - then the upside is that you get him another year.

The downside to cutting a guy you sign is that you don’t get any recruiting resources to replace him that year. Basically, informing a player of a redshirt during recruiting is, for me, telling him that playing time for him is not a priority for me, and that I may or may not find some for him down the road - and if he’s going to complain about that, I’d rather he did not show up at all.
1/18/2018 2:26 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3807825

For example, this guy was recruited with no open scholarships. I recruited him onto a team that was going to have no other freshmen, and I was not interested in playing him on that team. I cut a less useful guy to make room for him, but I also informed him of a redshirt, because I did not want anyone in his class on the team. I don’t want a one person class, and I don’t want to feel any pressure to try to balance it with jucos or transfers. Redshirting him into the next class made more sense. I was reasonably sure he’d accept the redshirt and it wouldn’t hurt my standing, since I wasn’t fighting any D1 humans for him, and he had no preference to play. If I don’t inform him, and he rejects the red shirt, now I have to cut him, or deal with a one person class. Cutting him means I go an extra year without the resources to replace him - I’d have rather had the walkon in that case.
1/18/2018 2:35 PM
Posted by pdxblazerfan on 1/18/2018 1:40:00 PM (view original):
I've been screwed out of a player more than once due to this bug. I reported it and never received an answer. I will still notify of a redshirt on occasion, but only when it's very clear that no humans are on my guy (even at VL because they might blitz) and the sims are not interested anymore. Also, NEVER notify of a redshirt if they have a preference for wanting to play...that will automatically set them to zero.

I just notified my best recruit this last class successfully because no humans were on him and he had no preference for playing time. I spent money on 5 HVs and 1 CV during the same cycle as the notification. He was knocked down from 100% HV/CV to around 60% and went from moderate to low (I'm in D2 and notified him during session 1)...but then recovered back to moderate in 1 more cycle. He went from moderate to high start of session 2 and then signed because his preference was early.
I'm not sure if it's because I was D1 and the player was D1 but I've been able to inform of RS on a guy who wanted to play. The preference turned to Very Bad but I was still able to sign him.

I did send along a few HVs when I sent the inform notification though.
1/18/2018 3:18 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/18/2018 3:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pdxblazerfan on 1/18/2018 1:40:00 PM (view original):
I've been screwed out of a player more than once due to this bug. I reported it and never received an answer. I will still notify of a redshirt on occasion, but only when it's very clear that no humans are on my guy (even at VL because they might blitz) and the sims are not interested anymore. Also, NEVER notify of a redshirt if they have a preference for wanting to play...that will automatically set them to zero.

I just notified my best recruit this last class successfully because no humans were on him and he had no preference for playing time. I spent money on 5 HVs and 1 CV during the same cycle as the notification. He was knocked down from 100% HV/CV to around 60% and went from moderate to low (I'm in D2 and notified him during session 1)...but then recovered back to moderate in 1 more cycle. He went from moderate to high start of session 2 and then signed because his preference was early.
I'm not sure if it's because I was D1 and the player was D1 but I've been able to inform of RS on a guy who wanted to play. The preference turned to Very Bad but I was still able to sign him.

I did send along a few HVs when I sent the inform notification though.
When you do this, does it HAVE to be visits? And does it always/mostly/generally work?

I've offered the redshirt a few times on recruits i was pursuing, once all my scholarships were filled and i no longer needed the guys. For experience purposes. And every time, they drop to 0s across the board. I've only used AP tho. No visits. And even when I continue to use AP throughout the following cycles, everything still stays at 0s.
1/18/2018 3:31 PM
seems like freshmen lately (at least for me at d3) usually take it with no we loss. or fairly minimal we loss.

so i cant recall informing of rs with freshman recently.

where i like to inform of rs is with jucos. and i feel like i have done it fairly recently... but i guess it could have been pre-3.0

and alot of times the jucos im talking about are really good for d3.. and i would want them either way... but being able to rs a juco cant be a big bonus and allow you to really get full bang for your buck outta him.

but now i dont know if that is such a good idea anymore
1/18/2018 4:18 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 1/18/2018 2:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2018 2:16:00 PM (view original):

There isn’t a lot of upside. Which is why I only do it with the kind of player I wouldn’t be interested in keeping, unless he redshirts; the kind of player who projects into something useful by his fourth year - then the upside is that you get him another year.

The downside to cutting a guy you sign is that you don’t get any recruiting resources to replace him that year. Basically, informing a player of a redshirt during recruiting is, for me, telling him that playing time for him is not a priority for me, and that I may or may not find some for him down the road - and if he’s going to complain about that, I’d rather he did not show up at all.
The redshirted player would grant you no additional resources next season either.

I'm just nitpicking but the upside is so minimal, it doesn't seem worth it.

To me, the redshirt process is incomplete. The "inform or redshirt" would be practical if an attempted, and failed, redshirt came with a penalty. WE drops to 1 like it does now. Removing redshirt would increase WE but with a 20% penalty. Then informing during recruiting would have a use.
1/18/2018 4:25 PM
The WE doesn't always drop to 1. I've redshirted players with very high WE without informing them and it only dropped 15-20 points a couple of times. In those cases they were still over 50 WE so I left the redshirt on them regardless of how they felt about it.
1/18/2018 4:50 PM
“The redshirted player would grant you no additional resources next season either”

Had I not informed, and had Sullivan subsequently refused to redshirt, I might have cut him at the end of last season. Then I’d have the walkon this season, and don’t get the resources next season. So it’s basically deferring the walkon, and the resources. You’re right that it’s not much of an upside. But it is an upside in a few selected cases, if you plan to find use for a player in his 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons, but have none for his first 2.
1/18/2018 4:53 PM
Just a risk/reward thing I guess is all I'm saying. The reward seems almost non-existent while the risk is monumental if you actually think the guy can contribute at some point.
1/18/2018 5:19 PM
Posted by pdxblazerfan on 1/18/2018 4:51:00 PM (view original):
The WE doesn't always drop to 1. I've redshirted players with very high WE without informing them and it only dropped 15-20 points a couple of times. In those cases they were still over 50 WE so I left the redshirt on them regardless of how they felt about it.
Maybe I have a wrong idea about this redshirt process completely. Maybe it’s because I took a 5 year break from this game.....

I thought if you redshirt a player and they lose significant work ethic, whatever that means (maybe from 62 down to 18 for example), I thought that player was a lock to transfer from your team at the end of the season. Is that not right? I’ve posted comments around this type of discussions, and no one has said that’s incorrect. But mainly because of long threads and multiple topics in each one?

So so at what point does a player transfer regarding WE drops of any fashion? And what about WE drops specifically from redshirting?
1/18/2018 6:56 PM
You can remove the redshirt and they regain their WE.
1/18/2018 7:06 PM
Small WE drops are acceptable. The big ones matter because the player is no longer going to project to be the player you recruited. I could be mistaken, but I don’t think most players transfer after their first season, unless you break a promise.
1/18/2018 7:08 PM
So recruits will not transfer if their WE drops from 99 to 1? (They’ll just suck)..... I never knew that. I can’t believe I’m saying this..... Mike, when I submitted a ticket to I have WE restored after redshirting a guy twice (within seconds) before I understood...... I was wrong!

There I said it! I would’ve just dealt with it and went on. I always thought guys transferred with WE drops from a redshirt.
1/18/2018 7:17 PM
What happens if you inform of redshirt. Drop off the radar. Then next cycle you lose a different recruit you thought you had in the bank when someone snipes you. Now you are scrambling to fill out your roster. So you pull the notification from the first guy and offer him 10 minutes instead. What happens?
1/18/2018 10:42 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Withdrawing a Redshirt Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.