HOKA! HOKA! HEY! HEY! Topic

Liawatha not an Indian. Just a racist.

Liz Warren's entire life is a fraud. Of course the Boston Globe held the article until a Friday night.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2018/01/19/elizabeth-warren-native-american-problem-goes-beyond-politics/uK9pGOl4JBmqmRUcxTNj3H/story.html

Elizabeth Warren’s Native American problem goes beyond politics

WASHINGTON — There’s a ghost haunting Elizabeth Warren as she ramps up for a possible 2020 presidential bid and a reelection campaign in Massachusetts this year: her enduring and undocumented claims of Native American ancestry.

Warren says now, as she has from the first days of her public life, that she based her assertions on family lore, on her reasonable trust in what she was told about her ancestry as a child.

“I know who I am,” she said in a recent interview with the Globe.

But that self-awareness may not be enough, as her political ambitions blossom. She’s taken flak from the right for years as a “fake Indian,” including taunts from President Trump, who derisively calls her “Pocahontas.’’ That clamor from the right will only grow with her increasing prominence.

And, more telling, there’s also discomfort on the left and among some tribal leaders and activists that Warren has a political blind spot when it comes to the murkiness surrounding her story of her heritage, which blew up as an issue in her victorious 2012 Massachusetts Senate race. In recent months, Daily Show host Trevor Noahmockedher for claiming Native American ancestry and the liberal website ThinkProgress published a scathing criticism of her by a Cherokee activist who said she should apologize.

As Warren is mentioned as a serious presidential contender in 2020, even some who should be her natural allies say Warren has displayed a stubborn unwillingness to address the gap between the story she was told of Native Americans in the family tree and a dearth of hard evidence to back it up.

It’s a disconnect that has lingered unresolved in the public sphere for more than five years.

Warren says she grew up understanding that forebears in her mother’s family had Cherokee and Delaware blood. But examinations by genealogists of documents including birth, marriage, and death records have shown no conclusive proof of Native American ancestry.

While it may be easy to dismiss Trump’s continued Twitter attacks as bigotry, which has been Warren’s response thus far, the view of her more sympathetic critics is that she is leaving herself vulnerable by not clearing the air in a definitive way. Their fear is that the issue could act as a drag on her profile as she considers whether to seek the Democratic nomination for president.

If Warren seeks to tackle the issue, there are no easy options. Some tribe members want her to apologize to Native Americans for claiming heritage without solid evidence. Tribes across America have spent centuries denouncing whites who claim Indian DNA without a clear basis, claims they find deeply offensive.

Another path includes pursuing stronger outreach to the tribes with whom she claims to share kinship, a strategy that she’s begun to employ. This too is fraught, as some Native American leaders are resentful that she’s done, in their estimation, little to help tribes as a powerful senator.

“She’s not part of the Cherokee community,” said Chad Smith, who was the principal chief of the Oklahoma-based Cherokee Nation from 1999 to 2011. “She hasn’t reached out. She hasn’t come here and participated much.”

“The mark of value in claiming heritage is: Do you use your position to give back?” Smith said. “If it is a claim that is valuable to her, she should be helping Indian country. She might be doing it with the overall agenda. But unless she’s contributing back, it is a somewhat hollow claim.”

Other Native Americans do give her credit for engaging on issues in Washington that benefit tribal members, even if the measures have been fairly low-profile and not entirely targeted at Native Americans. That includes a proposal she’s backed to allowing post offices to offer some financial services — an idea aimed generally at helping rural communities that could also be beneficial to tribes.

Warren declined to say if she would consider saying she’s sorry to Native communities, or otherwise address this lingering issue.

“My three brothers and I learned about our family heritage back in Oklahoma the way everyone does,” Warren said in a brief phone interview from storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, where she led a delegation of Massachusetts lawmakers this month. “From our aunts, our uncles, and our grandparents. I never asked for any benefit from it and I never got any benefit from it.”

Warren disputed the notion that she’s been absent on Native American issues, saying that she’s forged relationships with tribal leaders from Massachusetts and elsewhere including meeting with the current chief of the Cherokee Nation.

She’s pointed to her work ensuring that data is collected to monitor education in Native schools, and she notes her efforts in combating opioid abuse, a particular scourge among Native Americans.

“I work on these issues,” said Warren. “I meet with tribal leaders. I attend events. I speak. I’ve appreciated the opportunity to speak out. And I’ve tried to be helpful.”

Still, highlighting such relationships can be awkward for Warren, given the avalanche of criticism she endures when questions about her heritage arise. But just as Barack Obama had to deal with claims that he wasn’t born in America and Mitt Romney felt he had to address, in a major speech, questions about his Mormon faith, observers believe that Warren is going to have to find a way to defuse the issue before it gains traction in presidential swing states.

“She’s saddled with it,” said Jeff Berry, a political science professor at Tufts University who has closely followed her rise.

He predicted that, if she runs for president, her claims to Native American heritage will be picked over on conservative websites and the issue will bubble over into questions at her news conferences.

“From a strategic perspective, taking the live step of taking responsibility and an apology, even while noting that it was not her intention to harm anyone, is important,” said Tom Bonier, CEO of the Democratic polling firm TargetSmart. “Will that change votes? I don’t think that doing so will lose her votes.”

1/19/2018 6:54 PM
So if Trump said "All Indians have high cheek bones." then he would be a racist, no?
1/19/2018 6:54 PM
Are you talking about the lying ***** that lied to get a job?
1/19/2018 7:17 PM
trump would be ashamed to say he had indian heritage.
1/19/2018 9:48 PM
Indeed. She said he was an Indian to get her job at Harvard.
1/19/2018 10:19 PM
Posted by dino27 on 1/19/2018 9:48:00 PM (view original):
trump would be ashamed to say he had indian heritage.
Doughtful
1/19/2018 10:22 PM
in general how come democrats are held to a very very higher standard then republicans.......just askin.
1/19/2018 11:13 PM
we're civil diverse and mature
1/20/2018 12:13 AM
Posted by dino27 on 1/19/2018 11:13:00 PM (view original):
in general how come democrats are held to a very very higher standard then republicans.......just askin.
Really?

Any news about Bob Menendez? How about Obama and Fast and Furious? or letting the terrorists keep their cocaine trade with the US? or selling 20% of our Uranium rights to Russia? or using the IRS as a weapon against the Tea Party? or using the FBI as a weapon against Trump? If you read my past posts from years ago, I kept saying Obama is worse than Nixon, but he received a pass the whole time.

Every time Mueller digs deep enough with the Russian probe to find dirt on Trump, Hillary pops up. The media does their best to ignore it and go after Trump with no evidence after 20 months.

Bill Clinton eats cheeseburgers from Micky D's and he is a man of the people. Trump eats cheeseburgers from Micky D's and he is a fat oaf. Yep, very higher standards.
1/20/2018 6:40 AM
...and the media knew Liawatha's family was part of the Trail of Tears. There was a US soldier, not the Native Americans that were forced there. That article was another Friday pm release so no one would notice it.

Oh the FBI investigating Hillary? Announced in the Friday pm news cycle twice (before the 4th of July weekend and Halloween in case it needed another day). Don't worry, because they "exonerated" her during a main news cycle.
1/20/2018 6:48 AM
Posted by dino27 on 1/19/2018 11:13:00 PM (view original):
Guess you haven't compared primary processes or National Committee activities . . . . just saying.
1/20/2018 10:06 AM
I am ashamed that she is one of my senators. Abashed and ashamed.
1/20/2018 1:02 PM
dems actually listen to the issues our candidates have..thats why hilary almost lost to bernie.
outside of new jersey where is the groundswell of support among dems for menandez.
some of your other stuff were fox news conspiracy theories and nonsense.
1/20/2018 2:02 PM
Posted by dino27 on 1/20/2018 2:02:00 PM (view original):
dems actually listen to the issues our candidates have..thats why hilary almost lost to bernie.
outside of new jersey where is the groundswell of support among dems for menandez.
Seriously, if you're going to insist on posting such ridiculousness, please go back to your "safe" thread, where nothing outside your comfort zone is allowed.
Posting such things in a public Forum is going to result in comments that are going to set you off again.
Bernie NEVER had a prayer - the DNC had determined their winner before primary #1.
1/20/2018 2:25 PM
Posted by dino27 on 1/20/2018 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Dems are pro palestine and anti Israel.

Hurts me deeply.
1/20/2018 3:11 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
HOKA! HOKA! HEY! HEY! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.