Scorecard of last POTUS Topic

I got bored and thought it would be fun to do a scorecard of the last president. I am going to attempt to post mostly objective material. Would love to hear from both sides of what they found good and bad with Obama. Feel free to add fact or opinion.

I am going back 10 presidents for comparison.
1/21/2018 10:50 AM
-Jobs gained: 8.6% (ranks 7/10)
-Unemployment rate change: 3% drop (ranks 3/10)
-Unemployment rate median: 7.7% (Highest since WWII)
-Household income: 5.3% (4/10)
-Poverty Rate change: 0.5% drop (5/10)
-Home prices: 19.8% growth
-Home ownership: 3.8% drop
-food stamps: 33% increase, 10.7M gain
-Corporate profits: 57% gain (4/10)
-Stock prices: 166% gain (2/10)
-Federal debt: 128% increase
-Health care premiums: 43% increase
Illegal immigration: 6% decrease
-Trade exports: 19.8% increase
-Guns production rose by 192% under BHO
-Violent crime rate: 16% decrease
-property crime rate: 24% decrease

1/21/2018 11:09 AM
In my opinion:

Biggest success: Stock market
Biggest failure: pulling troops out of Iraq

Score: B-
1/21/2018 11:10 AM
The debt figure is the most telling for me. The willingness of Democrats to just keep giving things away, whether to US citizens or other Countries is mind-boggling . . . and costly.
1/21/2018 11:14 AM
I am an extreme anti-debt guy, but I don't judge the pro debt core. My problem is that his words didn't match his actions in a lot of cases. He called Bush "unpatriotic for taking out a credit card in the name of the American people." He also said that families premiums would go down with the ACA.
1/21/2018 11:25 AM
Factoring in the great recession he inherited and the actions of the Republican Party, I'm going to give him a solid B+. The theft of the Supreme Court seat is one of the lowest things ever done in US government.
1/21/2018 12:09 PM
I want to do an economic comparison between him Reagan. Both inherited recession economies and the opposition party controlled congress.
1/21/2018 12:24 PM
I think one thing that really hurt Obama was that he either lacked the ability or the interest to unify.
1/21/2018 12:26 PM
Factoring in the Great Recession caused by democrat and liberal legislation involving the housing market and their anti-capitalism anti-American hate speech, along with the destruction of the black family through jobs given to illegal future voters, now more important than the "taken for granted" black vote, the criminal takeover of the IRS, Justice department, the FBI and the continued support from the hi-jacked and now totally FAKE and PROPAGANDA driven liars in print and broadcast in their combined effort to subjugate a free people and take away their rights and privileges, the failure of the economy and the support of technology and money given to enemies worldwide bent on our destruction, his hatred of Jews and Christians and attack on the black family and the rise of food stamps and welfare, the increase of riots and murder and violence and the tearing apart of the very fabric that has united us over the years, I WOULD HAVE TO GIVE HIM A D- because only a HITLER or STALIN or MAO could earn an F.
1/21/2018 12:26 PM
To play devil's advocate, I don't think illegal immigration played a factor in black unemployment. There were between roughly 5M and 6M open positions while Obama was in office do to large numbers of people leaving the job market. Also, illegal immigration actually declined under Obama.

As far as food stamps, there were a lot more given out under the Bush administration than Obama's Food stamps numbers rose by 85% under Bush and 34% under Obama. The amount given per person rose by 54% under Bush compared to 9% under Obama.

1/21/2018 12:43 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree here. I think you are dead wrong. I do not know where you got your numbers.

Please allow me a few minutes to gather some information. I must admit, your allegations are quite shocking to me.

Let's find the truth together.
1/21/2018 12:48 PM
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/JTS00000000JOL

Sorry, don't know how to hyperlink.
1/21/2018 12:52 PM
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/pd/34SNAPmonthly.pdf
1/21/2018 12:54 PM
Here's my first effort.
  • Since President Obama took office, 67 percent of employment growth has gone to immigrants (legal and illegal).
  • There were 1.94 million more immigrants (legal and illegal) working in the third quarter of 2012 than at the start of 2009, when the president took office. This compares to a 938,000 increase for natives over the same time period.
  • Most of the immigrant growth in employment was the result of new immigration, rather than immigrants already in the country taking jobs. Some 1.6 million new immigrant workers arrived from abroad since the start of 2009 — we estimate 70 to 90 percent entered legally.
  • Immigrants made employment gains across the labor market. In occupations where immigrant gains were the largest, there were 2.2 million unemployed natives.
  • A large share of employment growth was going to immigrants well before President Obama took office. However, he has taken steps to increase the level of job competition from foreign-born workers:
    • He offered work authorization to an estimated two million illegal immigrants who arrived in the country before age 16 — nearly 200,000 of whom have applied so far.
    • When auditing employers who hire illegal workers, the administration has not detained the illegal workers as a matter of policy, allowing them to take new jobs.
    • The administration called on the Supreme Court in 2010 to strike down Arizona’s law requiring employers to verify the legal status of new workers.
  • Natives have done better in the labor market recently. From the third quarter of 2011 to the third quarter of 2012, two-thirds of employment growth went to native-born workers.
  • Despite recent improvements, in the third quarter of 2012, there were a huge number of working-age (18 to 65) native-born Americans not employed:
    • 7.6 million with less than a high school education (18 to 65);
    • 18.1 million with only a high school education (18 to 65);
    • 15.8 million with some college (18 to 65); and
    • 9.2 million college graduates (18 to 65).
  • Some people who are not working do not wish to work. However, the broad measure of unemployment, which includes those who have given up looking for a job, shows a dismal picture for adult natives (18+) in the third quarter of 2012:
    • 30.8 percent for high school dropouts;
    • 18.1 percent for those only a high school education;
    • 13.8 percent for those with some college; and
    • 8 percent for all college graduates and 13 percent for college graduates under age 30.
  • While significantly more immigrants are presently working, their unemployment rate remains high and the share of working-age adults (18-65) holding a job has only slightly improved since President Obama took office.
YOU'LL NOTICE THE LAST LINE. IT'S JUST ANOTHER WAY OF SAYING OBAMA POLICY FAILED TO CREATE THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF JOBS FOR A HEALTHY AND GROWING ECONOMY.

NOTE: By now it should be common knowledge that the liberal site called "Fact Check" has been taken over and is no longer worthy of consideration while looking for truth or gathering information needed to make valid conclusions on any matter.
1/21/2018 1:03 PM

To be sure, the president inherited an immigration system that allows in a million immigrants annually. This is the so-called green card that allows immigrants to live permanently in the United States and apply for citizenship after five years. As discussed above, since the Great Recession began 4.3 million new green cards were issued from 2008 to 2011.5 While data are not yet available, it seems very likely that roughly one million additional green cards were issued in fiscal year 2012, which ended in September of this year. In addition, several hundred thousand guest workers also have been allowed into the country each year. Neither President Obama nor Congress has been willing to modify this system.

During the Bush administration a large share of employment growth also went to immigrants — 44 percent. In the fourth quarter of 2008 there were 4.38 million more natives working than in the first quarter of 2001, when President George W. Bush took office. Among immigrants, the number working increased by 3.48 million. (See Table 1.) However, employment peaked by the fourth quarter of 2008 and was headed down when President Bush left office.

There is no question that President Obama inherited a labor market that was deteriorating. (See Table 1.) But he has taken a number of steps that have increased job competition for native-born workers. He has offered work authorization to an estimated two million illegal immigrants who arrived in the country before age 16 — nearly 200,000 of whom have applied so far.6 When auditing employers who hire illegal workers, as a matter of policy the administration has not detained the illegal workers, allowing them to take new jobs. The administration also called on the Supreme Court in 2010 to strike down Arizona’s law requiring employers to verify the legal status of new workers.7 Most importantly, he has proposed no reduction in legal immigration levels.

There is a long-standing debate among economists about whether immigration reduces labor market opportunities for the native-born. There is good research showing that immigration displaces natives from the labor market.8 But there is not a consensus. What we can say is that there are currently an enormous number of working-age, adult (18 to 65) native-born Americans not working — 50.8 million. If we include naturalized citizens the number is 54.7 million. Equally important, the share of working-age natives holding a job was declining even before the recession, which has nothing to do with the Obama administration. As immigration increased through the last decade, the employment rate of natives fell. Just 69 percent of adult natives (18 to 65) held a job in the third quarter of this year, compared to 74 percent at the end of 2007, before the recession. Back in the third quarter of 2000 it was 76 percent. The last decade was a period of high immigration and declining employment rates for natives.

It is clear that a large share of employment growth was going to immigrants long before the president took office. What the president has failed to do is propose any reduction in immigration levels and he has embraced policies and positions that made the situation worse. Immigration levels are a discretionary policy, which can be changed. Both the president and Congress share the blame or credit, depending on one’s point of view, for the decision to keep legal immigration at very high levels despite the dismal state of the job market.

1/21/2018 1:07 PM
1234 Next ▸
Scorecard of last POTUS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.