A little tribute to a Legend! Topic

I just wanna give a shout-out to one of the greatest owners this site has ever had - my dude Karl aka pfatkatt. Karl lived on the east coast (PA I think) and once a month or so would travel through my neck of the woods (Delaware) for work. I knew of him since 2004/2005 time frame and like most people on here back in the day - he did not really get along with a young version of tribechamp lol. I can't remember how it got set up but sometime around a decade ago we offered to buy me dinner when he came through DE for work. I thought it was a little odd, we surly had some heated discussions before no doubt but I jumped at the offer. None of my friends played whatif and I thought it would be fun to talk about it in person with someone.

I was 19 or 20 when I met him, he was mid to late 50's. We came from different backgrounds and would of never had any connection outside of this little computer game. For a couple of years I met up with him every month. What started as talking about team strategy's and optimal lineup construction, ballparks and adjusted stats, theme league ideas and the cookies those times (Joss, pitchers that could hit batting cleanup, Highball Wison, 1894 pitchers) ended up moving into talks about family, work, food, friendships, hobbies. Karl taking an interest in my life...I was troubled for sure, I had my fair share issues. Karl took it upon himself to take me under his wing, listen to me and give me advice. Advice on getting a promotion at work, going to school, getting sober and how to get the girl I had my eye on forever and ever.

Since he passed away a few years ago I graduated second in my class in culinary school, opened up a restaurant (wish we could of ate here big guy), kicked the pain pill addiction and married the girl of my dreams. We used to talk about how our teams (Indians for me, Mets for him) would never make it to October. The Mets went to the world series in '15 and the Tribe the following year. Karl's favorite place to meet up was either a Chinese buffet or a Ruby Tuesday. He could put away some Chinese food and always got his moneys worth lol. Karl was an avid baseball, whatif and Mets fan. He thought the world of his wife and son (who I think was damn near 7 foot tall.) He always stayed positive and had a smile on his face no matter how bad his health was.

You are a legend around here PK and I miss the hell out of you buddy.
1/21/2018 7:11 PM
Well said tribechamp17.
1/21/2018 8:09 PM
Argh. Very well said Eric. A great guy.

Prost!
1/21/2018 8:35 PM
Keep on truckin', pfatty!
1/22/2018 10:39 AM
I'm sure pfatt would be happy to know how well you're doing. In fact, I'm pretty sure he does know. Your success and happiness is a great example of people "living on" past their mortal life. It's first class of you to give credit where it's due, even posthumously.
1/22/2018 7:11 PM (edited)
Well said, redwingscup, and I second that.
1/22/2018 12:42 PM
Very much missed pfatt...hope you're watching down on all of our sim games from heaven!
1/22/2018 6:07 PM
I talked to pfattkatt on the phone a few times. He's actually responsible for getting me into chess. He used to really abuse my f7 square when I was black.

We never got to meet in real life, although he knew the town I'm from because it is on the intersection of two interstate highways. It's kind of funny listening to someone on the phone from the east coast describe your small town in detail down to which side of the street the Dennys is and which side street you can find the truck wash.

His advice on women was hilarious. He told me that he and a friend would go out to pick up chicks. His friend tried the strategy of going for the prettiest girl in the room. Karl aimed...ah...a little lower. Karl always went home with someone. The friend not so much. "Single moms are like shooting fish in a barrel." Eh, probably true...

Karl was a lot of fun and made the site a community. He felt that getting cancer was the best thing that ever happened to him. It put life in perspective for him.
1/24/2018 12:14 AM
speaking of legends, how long has it been since boogerlips showed up here?
1/24/2018 9:15 PM
thanks for reminding us of one of the most revered people here ever.

Karl was a friend. A thinker. We had countless conversations by sitemail and by telephone on days when we were both bored otherwise about what kinds of new strategies might work at WIS. He was full of ideas. I was never very good at implementing them.

He also took over and ran the platoon theme league that I started after the first few seasons and I am grateful for that, and thought of him recently when I built a platoon team for an OL that is now starting the playoffs.

He is very much missed here.
1/25/2018 7:55 AM
Posted by rbow923 on 1/24/2018 9:15:00 PM (view original):
speaking of legends, how long has it been since boogerlips showed up here?
Boogerlips showed up a few weeks ago to make a comment on the forum. I wrote him a sitemail and he replied that he is alive and well and is living a happy family life (I won't say more without his okay since I don't want to invade his privacy). But so far as I know he has no team here, real life commitments taking priority.
1/25/2018 7:58 AM
Wrong. I am wrong. Boogerlips posted on the main forum that he was entering an OL and asking someone to join him in the league before it closed. But the name of the initial poster on the Forum is now in very small print, I never noticed that it was him. But he is BACK !
1/26/2018 7:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2e6LWBhhU

1/26/2018 7:36 AM
Posted by italyprof on 1/25/2018 7:55:00 AM (view original):
thanks for reminding us of one of the most revered people here ever.

Karl was a friend. A thinker. We had countless conversations by sitemail and by telephone on days when we were both bored otherwise about what kinds of new strategies might work at WIS. He was full of ideas. I was never very good at implementing them.

He also took over and ran the platoon theme league that I started after the first few seasons and I am grateful for that, and thought of him recently when I built a platoon team for an OL that is now starting the playoffs.

He is very much missed here.
Insert thumbs up emoji here >…
1/26/2018 8:28 PM
My family lives in the U.P. That's Upper Michigan. Big hockey area. My family loves the Red wings. I have two cousins named Gordie and one of them has a son with the middle name of Yzerrman.

I love playing SIM hockey. I suck at it worse than SIM baseball. There was a buddy league starting up. You had to find a partner and your combined season record determined if you made the playoffs . I noticed that pfattkatt had tried SIM hockey so I asked him to be my partner .He said I should find someone else because he wasn't very good. I said that was okay. He agreed to join even though I could tell he really didn't want to. Anything for a friend. That's the kind of guy he was .

It turned out to be the most fun I've had on the site. My team was actually pretty good and his was terrible. He kept apologizing for his teams performance; but the truth of the matter was without him I wouldn't have been able to even join the league.

We talked back and forth on how to set up his lines. I was more interested in seeing how his team did than my own. We ended up making the playoffs. You would have thought we won the lottery. He ended up joining a few leagues on his own and even made the finals once. He was one of a kind. The best kind. A true friend.
1/28/2018 2:21 PM (edited)
A little tribute to a Legend! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.