WIS Quirks/Superstitions Topic

I am a HUGE believer of the forum jinx (just had another owner kill my W15 by posting about my streak), so in my mind that is a given. Another one I firmly believe is that if I am active on the site when the games sim, I will lose those game 100% of the time (just happened again, so I'm here to post about it). The 100 win team always goes down to the lowly WC or division winner in the first round is another I'm positive happens quite frequently (the curse of the 100 win team)...

Anyone else have any WIS superstitions they want to share (so we can avoid these death traps?)?
1/22/2018 7:27 PM (edited)
Win a game by 10 or more runs, and the next game you're going to lose by one.
1/22/2018 6:24 PM
Don't forget the Hall Of Famer Cheat Code (I'm still waiting for mine)
1/22/2018 6:48 PM
Wonder what percentage of teams with the best record do lose the first round. It seems like best record = kiss of death. As far as the forum jinx goes it never seems to work in reverse, i.e. complain about your teams performance and things get worse.
1/22/2018 6:59 PM
I've lost track of how many times I've had the best overall record and lost in the 5 game playoff. I'm sure, positive, and beyond a doubt secure in saying my record in such tilts is at best .500. So yeah, I'm pretty sure there is a conspiracy against letting the team with the best overall record take all the money, marbles, and chocolate (he said, winking)
1/22/2018 7:15 PM
I am a huge believer in the forum jinx, just had to use it to my advantage recently. I’ll let y’all know when it’s safe to mention. And I never make it past the first round with 100 win teams. Best example when I had a 104 and 108 win team..in the same league. Both got swept in the first round
1/23/2018 12:22 PM
I don't think that the best record in the regular season is a jinx but more likely do to the fact that your team is optimized to the regular season where the wild card teams might be more optimized for the post season.
1/24/2018 2:15 AM
My little quirk is that if I notice one of my guys on some sort of hot streak, either hitting or pitching, I won't dig into their recent stats cause that will immediately end the streak.

But at the same time, I'll post any negative streaks to the league message board, cause that tends to end those.
1/24/2018 6:39 PM
Posted by joerat1 on 1/22/2018 6:59:00 PM (view original):
Wonder what percentage of teams with the best record do lose the first round. It seems like best record = kiss of death. As far as the forum jinx goes it never seems to work in reverse, i.e. complain about your teams performance and things get worse.
Balanced teams do better in the regular season. Unbalanced teams are better suited for the playoffs. so there is some logic to the best record team losing. But that's not the main problem , it's more about the small sample size of a 5 game series. And since you expect the best team to win it's more noticable when they don't.
1/24/2018 9:13 PM
I being a man of reason believe in all of the above.

Plus, if I name a team something obscure or innocuous, it does ok, but if I give it an explicitly political name it usually does terribly. Maybe in the post-Fox era that won't be the case anymore. Dare I?

I also superstitiously believe that if I am in a league with a team whose name ends in dominican boggs, I am not going to win the World Series.
1/25/2018 7:52 AM
I adhere to many of the superstitions listed above, plus this one...

I have a firm belief that a player's WIS performance drastically (and temporarily) improves immediately following their death in real life. For example, Roy Halladay performed like 1908 Addie Joss at WIS for about a week after his tragic plane crash late last year.
1/29/2018 1:34 PM
I absolutely 100% believe in the powers of the forum jinx. It can be quite lethal.
1/31/2018 11:13 PM
I believe that any time I draft Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera or Roy Campanella, the code kicks in to ensure one of their worst seasons.

Other players appear to be immune from this curse. So far anyway.

I'm afraid to mention anyone who has done well for me a few times, because, well, you know ...
2/1/2018 2:43 PM
Posted by redcped on 2/1/2018 2:43:00 PM (view original):
I believe that any time I draft Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera or Roy Campanella, the code kicks in to ensure one of their worst seasons.

Other players appear to be immune from this curse. So far anyway.

I'm afraid to mention anyone who has done well for me a few times, because, well, you know ...
Shortstop A-Rod ain’t worth jack.

3rd base A-Rod is a banger tho.

Crap! I revealed my HoF secrets!
2/1/2018 3:34 PM
Posted by profcake on 1/24/2018 2:15:00 AM (view original):
I don't think that the best record in the regular season is a jinx but more likely do to the fact that your team is optimized to the regular season where the wild card teams might be more optimized for the post season.
Agreed,I always build my teams to succeed in the playoffs......and hope they get there!
2/1/2018 5:12 PM
12 Next ▸
WIS Quirks/Superstitions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.