BALL PARK SIZE MATTER? Topic

A FRIEND
1/23/2018 4:58 PM
Who shared a cell?
1/23/2018 5:07 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 1/23/2018 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hypnotoad on 1/23/2018 2:57:00 PM (view original):
I think what they meant is that they don't treat it like a literal dice roll modifier (adding +1 if you hit it to LF for example), but they use it to represent the relative differences between the parks. So a +4 rating in Santa Fe makes it a lot more homer friendly than a 0 in Rochester, but nowhere in the programming is '4' added to anything.
No, this is wrong ^

For home runs specifically, positive park factor "enhances power" and it does so literally in the hitter's power attribute. In WIS, POW is calibrated to [home runs per hit], where 0 units of power is literally calibrated to 0% HR/Hit and the top of the scale of 99 power is calibrated to approximately 28% HR/hit. This is based on the historical average up until 2005 or whenever WIS was created.

So when the game does the pitcher-batter interaction, having +4 HR means that a hitter with 99 power aka 28% HR/hit will hit a HR at a higher rate than he would in another stadium. So in a sense it creates the illusion that the batter has power of 103 because his HR/hit is skewed in that direction. Same principle for -4 stadiums but in the other direction

Let's consider one of the asymmetrical stadiums- Minute Maid Park.The given dimensions are "315 362 435 373 326" and the real life data supports the authenticity of WIS's given PF as 0 0 2 2 1. They play indoors on turf or whatever with slightly above average foul territory, so this creates a standard volume of singles and doubles. However, because of the stupid mound in dead-center, everything that would normally go for a double (or a 400-435 HR) goes for a triple, thus the +2 increase for their weird asymmetry

Also, let's also consider Minute Maid's directionality for a moment. Left field is short and has the train above the restaurant, center field has the grassy knoll, and right field is slightly shorter compared to other stadiums but not as short as LF--- 315 at the LF pole is super short and 362 in the alley is very generous, so real life data supports that more HR are hit to LF than RF in this stadium. What this means for HBD is that for every at-bat:

whether an out, or when a batter gets a hit based on splits (.280 or whatever), the game uses whatever his power is calibrated to (let's say 99 = .280 again) to determine HR or XBH or single, and then determines push/pull to determine the directionality of every out/hit. So if our sample .280 x 280 batter is RH with low push/pull, he ends up having a slightly higher HR/hit and HR volume than a LH batter with the same .280 x .280 combination at this specific park. The difference ends up being very small, like 29% or 29.5% HR/hit vs the "normal" 28%

You won't notice the affect in a visiting series or even a single home season, but over hundreds and thousands of games you will begin to observe the slight boost. It is actually built in, even though the devs gave a very poor explanation in the past
All due respect, but I want to see the code.
1/23/2018 5:24 PM
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE CODE!

1/23/2018 6:44 PM
we all want the code

the whole point of life is trottin home without it
1/23/2018 6:51 PM
1/23/2018 9:43 PM
I updated my park factor data that I did years ago recently.

Here's the google doc from the data that I just pulled earlier this month. Season count is how many full season's worth of data I have for that team, and PF Mean is the average park factor over all the season's worth of data. This isn't window dressing like the WIS park factors on the team select screen. This is actual data on how each park has impacted run production in the simulation.
1/23/2018 11:05 PM
Pjfoster, where do you get your numbers from? It seems legit enough but how could you possibly know exact percentages of what a 99 power guy are?
1/24/2018 10:46 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 1/24/2018 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Pjfoster, where do you get your numbers from? It seems legit enough but how could you possibly know exact percentages of what a 99 power guy are?
...once I understood which data element Power was actually linked to- HR per hit. It's about how often, not "how far" or "how strong" or anything else that might come to mind when you think of guys like Stanton or Judge. So once you know what the attribute is linked to you can go and study what is the real-data-to-attribute-to-Sim calibration, and how the calibration itself gets skewed by something like park factor (another example of the analogy to redshifting and blueshifting of light waves, or the doppler effect of sound waves)

I realize I tend to over-explain at times, but this concept about PF is complicated and warranted a longer explanation. The one constant thing about this game that summarizes any of my answers -- Stop thinking like a human thinks, start thinking like a computer thinks
1/24/2018 2:32 PM
This is the answer I got from customer support. So does that mean that park size does matter or are the just BS'ing me?

The player's range is independent of the ballpark, but a lower range player would obviously have more trouble in a large ballpark than in a small one.
1/25/2018 11:53 AM
BS.
1/25/2018 11:55 AM
I re asked the question and got this response. This makes more sense.

Sorry, I should clarify that the size of the park isn't used by the engine, just the park factors. So, the effect of limited range is important, but doesn't work exactly like real life. As an example, if a certain batted ball has a 25% chance of falling for a single, those odds will go up or down based on the park factors and the range of the fielders involved
1/25/2018 1:23 PM
Pay attention to the park factor, not the +/-. Just one of several examples:

El Paso (Texas) Citibank Ballpark 6,696 0 0 0 -2 -2 0.963 South
vs
Pawtucket (Rhode Island) McCoy Stadium 10,031 0 0 0 -1 -1 0.960 East, North
Jackson (Mississippi) Boon Stadium 7,500 0 0 0 -1 -1 0.957 South

Just looking at the +/- numbers, you'd expect El Paso to be more of a pitcher's park than Pawtucket or Jackson, but the PF for ELP is actually higher. PF is what matters to the game engine. The only use for +- numbers is to offer slight bonuses to asymmetrically built teams, and I'm not even sure how much that matters since there are no parks with more than two steps of difference between LF and RF HR factors.
1/25/2018 1:27 PM
So based on this I would assume that range is more important in + ballparks because there is more hit chances. Better range will reduce that. In - parks range helps but there is already less of a hit chance.
1/25/2018 1:30 PM
The wording of their answers is always so clumsy.

but a lower range player would obviously have more trouble in a large ballpark than in a small one.

it feels like they're trying to say that a stadium like Coors has +2 doubles and +3 triples already built into park factor itself, meaning that the punishment for bad defense is higher. WIS doesn't have outfield square footage and wall height and all that other stuff built into their formula, but all of that stuff is rolled into the sim altogether as one composite. Like what they mean is that extra baserunners score more often in Coors than in a neutral park, but their way is a stupid way of saying it
1/25/2018 1:32 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
BALL PARK SIZE MATTER? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.