New 5 Season Franchise Progressive NEED ONE Topic

Montreal - 9 fwds - 4 D - 2 G = $114,516,955
2/17/2018 1:15 PM
Tampa - 9 fwds - 4 d - 2 g = $81,606,398
2/17/2018 8:44 PM (edited)
Minnesota/Dallas 9-4-2= $79,946,007
Need a cap of some sort to level the playing field for season 1. Owners could spend cap on any # positions they want to a max of 15 players.
2/17/2018 1:50 PM
Buffalo: 9 forwards/4 defense/ 2 goalies = $94,379,703.

With the salary cap in place I've adjusted the total down to just under 90 million.

The salary cap is an compelling idea. $120,000,000? Probably make me go back and redo the initial 15.
2/21/2018 8:33 AM (edited)
Posted by crippled on 2/17/2018 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Buffalo: 9 forwards/4 defense/ 2 goalies = $94,379,703.

The salary cap is an compelling idea. $120,000,000? Probably make me go back and redo the initial 15.
For me, it comes down to can my guys score. The lesser teams just don't have the consistent scoring the top teams have like Kurri, Gretzky, Messier, Bossy, etc. Ottawa has no one that can score consistently. The lesser teams just don't have those 20%+ goal scorers.
2/17/2018 6:50 PM
Here's an interesting twist that would be interesting...

Each owner gets to draft 12 exclusive keepers. HOWEVER, if Rangers draft Gretzky then NO ONE else can draft Gretzky. Now, the Rangers can only use his Rangers seasons YET it would be a strategic move to remove Gretzky from the picture for Edmonton, thus evening the playing field. Detroit could nab Hull... Toronto could nab Mogilny... Penguins could nab Trottier... Avalanche could nab Kurri...

See where I'm going with this? The purpose behind the draft would change dramatically. And then you would have an even playing field. Otherwise, why would Rangers owner draft Gretzky? Why would Coyotes draft Hull or Roenick?

And thinking about that, even though that would happen, teams like Lightning, Ducks, Sens, etc. still don't have the consistent scoring that the other franchises have to be competitive. After Alfredsson and Heatley, Sens have nothing. And if those guys get nabbed by another owner, then Sens are toast.

Not complaining. As I said before, I like leagues like this, however since the seasons are restricted and the players aren't completely exclusive, the playoff teams and Cup contenders will be a very limited number of teams.

Even if you opened the draft up so that owners could draft exclusive players and use any season of their SIM career that would help a lot. Thus, Hossa becomes more attractive to Sens... Devils may use Kovalchuk... Avalanche may draft Selanne... etc.

Thanks!
2/17/2018 7:35 PM
The problem with that is everyone already picked their teams based on the rules as they were. We only need one team to fill the league. Does it makes sense to change the format of the league just to get one last team?

Some of the best goal scorers in the game will be available in the draft. The Canucks won't be much better but I think I might be able to build a competitive team with a high pick and possibly a high salary cap.
2/17/2018 8:08 PM (edited)
9 F, 4D, 2G

LA $89 715 621

Van $69 095 615
2/17/2018 8:06 PM
Posted by tkconcrete on 2/17/2018 8:08:00 PM (view original):
The problem with that is everyone already picked their teams based on the rules as they were. We only need one team to fill the league. Does it makes sense to change the format of the league just to get one last team?

Some of the best goal scorers in the game will be available in the draft. The Canucks won't be much better but I think I might be able to build a competitive team with a high pick and possibly a high salary cap.
The best scorers are available, yet not their years. If you draft Mogilny you don't get that 76 goal season. Same with Pederson or Neely or Messier or Sundin... Only the seasons from the Canucks. If I read the rules correctly.

I just want to do a draft league. Maybe someone will start another.
2/17/2018 8:53 PM
NY islanders around 95M. Not sure about 2 players.
2/18/2018 12:01 PM
Posted by tkconcrete on 2/17/2018 8:08:00 PM (view original):

I don' think instituting a cap - even if done from the start - would have changed things that much. The same teams (Montreal, Boston, Edmonton, etc.) would still get picked first. The difference is that now top heavy teams won't be able to load up on expensive players in the draft whereas the low salary teams will make up the difference through drafting. Top heavy teams may even choose to redo their initial picks to hoard their money more strategically.

This is a five season league! Do we just gift the cup to Montreal every year? I vote that the rules be tinkered with to make it worth it for everyone.
2/18/2018 2:02 PM
Not sure a rule change is necessary - we all knew the rules when we signed up! I certainly did when I grabbed Hartford as my second team. I think the reverse order draft (by season 1 total salary (non-snake draft) for the initial draft is fine....Season results will still make the drafts fair. I didn't pick Hartford to win Season 1 - but I think it'd be fun to try to get them close by Season 5.
2/18/2018 3:44 PM
Chicago, 9 Forwards, 4 defence, 2 goalies = $72,199,929
2/18/2018 9:32 PM
The salary cap will be $120M.

Great franchises like Montreal will have their solid 15 players while the lesser newer franchises can beef up their rosters with free agents.

To clarify, franchise exclusive players can be traded as well as any other players. The new teams just have to use the exact seasons their former teams were using.
2/23/2018 6:59 AM
What is the max number of players out going to be?
2/23/2018 11:39 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
New 5 Season Franchise Progressive NEED ONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.