Reliever "call bullpen" Topic

5 is pretty much a walk, hit, yank. Now, if there is no in-game fatigue, you set him at 150 with a 1 pull and your best pitcher pitches the entire 7th game with the off-season to recover.
1/29/2018 2:08 PM
So then my big question, different from Damag's (Did I get it right this time? I am quoting you on this one right) is, 'Is in game fatigue different from a player that starts a game with fatigue?'
1/29/2018 2:14 PM
I'll try to answer this as best I can without making it confusing for all(and myself).

A pitcher starts at 100%. Each pitch fatigues him 1%. He's at 0% after 100 pitches.
A pitcher starts at 90%. Each pitch fatigues him 1%. He's at 0% after 90 pitches.

I've not done enough research to know that say "90% equates to a 2% reduction in skills" or anything like that. But, when I lower pitch counts, my pitchers are more effective. Because of this, I seldom get a complete game but I'm almost always sporting a good pitching staff on the team stats page.
1/29/2018 2:18 PM
I'm going to try to confuse us since I'm bored at work.

(same scenario as mike)

A pitcher starts at 100% each pitch fatigues him 1%. He's a 0% after 100 pitches.
B pitcher starts at 0%. (we know he goes into an unknown negative value but forget that).

A pitcher pitch 101 = B pitcher pitch 1

yes or no?
1/29/2018 2:38 PM
I would assume the same. Once you hit 0%, I'd think you keep declining at the same rate. It's the getting to 0% that matters.
1/29/2018 2:42 PM
There's also the hidden fatigue factor. In Mike's example of sending them to the pen, maybe they are doing worse because while their fatigue says it's 100% but they are still starting a game below their true fatigue ceiling.
1/29/2018 2:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. It seems that the general consensus is: for good pitchers - using a call bullpen of 1 with appropriate pitch counts is the best strategy. That way your strong pitchers are best positioned to stay in the game until they reach your desired (and effective) pitch counts.

However, it doesn't seem there was a consensus for average to bad SPs (god forbid). If the assumption is that the majority of the bullpen are better pitchers, are y'all suggesting:

1) a higher call bullpen rating, or
2) lower pitch counts with call bullpen=1 (in order to get to pen faster), or
3) both higher call BP and lower pitch counts?

Just curious to know how folks are handling the average to bad SPs ...
1/30/2018 3:52 AM
Basically a sliding scale for me.
Best pitchers get a 1(pen or starter). Usually 3-4 SP get a 1.
Pretty good pitchers get a 2. 1-2 SP are here.
Back end bullpen, usually LRB/SUB get a 3. I may only have 1-2 here.

All are set with what I feel is an effective pitch count. SP are ready on Day 4 so they get a full day at 100%.
As I mentioned earlier, short RP are 10/15, 20/30 or 25/35. That's 1-2 innings(15 pitches per inning) and should require 1 day of rest before returning to 100%. LR ate 45/55 so they can pitch 3 innings.
1/30/2018 6:48 AM
You have your best pitchers in the 3-4 slot?
1/30/2018 7:50 AM
No, I usually have 3-4 starting pitchers set at pull 1.
1/30/2018 8:25 AM
Just checked my Coop team as it's really the only "active" one(DD waiting on playoffs to start so using slugs, T/B waiting on roll). I have zero set at 3 pull.
1/30/2018 8:27 AM
Posted by kmueller on 1/30/2018 3:52:00 AM (view original):
Thanks everyone for the responses. It seems that the general consensus is: for good pitchers - using a call bullpen of 1 with appropriate pitch counts is the best strategy. That way your strong pitchers are best positioned to stay in the game until they reach your desired (and effective) pitch counts.

However, it doesn't seem there was a consensus for average to bad SPs (god forbid). If the assumption is that the majority of the bullpen are better pitchers, are y'all suggesting:

1) a higher call bullpen rating, or
2) lower pitch counts with call bullpen=1 (in order to get to pen faster), or
3) both higher call BP and lower pitch counts?

Just curious to know how folks are handling the average to bad SPs ...
During the regular season-- option 1.
During the playoffs-- option 3.

Any SP who is as good as or better than my 3rd or 4th best reliever gets pull = 1, and I essentially never use pull > 3.
1/30/2018 11:44 AM
I've had this guy set at 150/150 all season and he's been getting shelled in later portions of the game. No way he should be sporting 5.82 ERA when his career ERA is 3.78. He's been fully rested for starts since I'm running a 6 man rotation. Makes me believe in Mike's simleague style fatigue hunch.
1/30/2018 3:34 PM
That's what the stamina rating is for - "Stamina indicates how many pitches a player can make in a ballgame."

There is very clearly a limit pitchers will hit in a game where they become less effective. Setting an ace at 150 is just a waste because he's going to get rocked late in games if he gets past a certain pitch count. Look at his game logs. Looks like he's allowed a lot of runs in the 7-9 innings.

At 88 stamina, I'd generally set a guy at a target of 115-120.
1/30/2018 3:50 PM (edited)
Right, but the question is when does he start losing his effectiveness? He's not at 0 stamina at the end of those games, so technically he still has some gas in the tank. Is the decline in effectiveness linear, logarithmic or does it not even come into effect until 0 stamina is hit or is it something else entirely?
1/30/2018 4:01 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Reliever "call bullpen" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.