Question regarding AAU Hoops Topic

I coach a 6th grade AAU hoops team. We have 10 players of varying skill levels. We can give each player equal playing time and lose more games than we should or play the best players more when necessary and win more games. What would you recommend? We have some parents "everyone gets a trophy crowd" that insist on equal playing time and that winning is irrelevant. We have others who want to win. Why keep score if winning is irrelevant. The team is very good but there is a drop off in talent.

I welcome your thoughts and thank you in advance. There is no right or wrong answer but I am battling with what to do here.
1/31/2018 4:56 PM
I play to win no matter what. Can't stand participation trophies.
1/31/2018 5:08 PM
It's an art. With 6th graders, the main goal is development, but part of that development is learning how to compete for playing time and how to accept a role on your team. The better players should play the bulk of the minutes with an emphasis on winning, but look for every opportunity to get subs into games.

Have fun dealing with the parents. I'm guessing the "participation trophy" parents have kids that aren't very good.

Also, be very up front with the parents. Explain how it's going to be run from the get-go. You may have a kid or two drop off, but they would have been headaches anyways. You will have a lot less drama with honesty.

If you need any advice on dealing with anything, feel free to private message me.
1/31/2018 5:14 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/31/2018 5:14:00 PM (view original):
It's an art. With 6th graders, the main goal is development, but part of that development is learning how to compete for playing time and how to accept a role on your team. The better players should play the bulk of the minutes with an emphasis on winning, but look for every opportunity to get subs into games.

Have fun dealing with the parents. I'm guessing the "participation trophy" parents have kids that aren't very good.

Also, be very up front with the parents. Explain how it's going to be run from the get-go. You may have a kid or two drop off, but they would have been headaches anyways. You will have a lot less drama with honesty.

If you need any advice on dealing with anything, feel free to private message me.
This is good advise. I agree with it........... except the "have fun dealing with the parents" part. I suspect that'll never happen with 1 or 2 sets of so-called adults.

I've coached little girl's softball, which I see as a similar deal. 6th graders are like what? 11 or 12?

At that age the whole "participation trophy" thing is entirely inappropriate in my view. It's time to start learning the values that athletics teach! As has been mentioned and especially "how to compete" and how to "accept a role" BOTH are extremely instructional for all team pursuits, athletics and otherwise!

Coach the 1st half as if they were a H.S. team (or some equivalent), considering the need to get all usable players meaningful court time.
Use the 3rd qtr. to get everyone in the game while trying to keep your squad in the game (if possible!). Start the 4th qtr. as you would attempting to win the game. Play all "weaker" players EVERY chance you get in blowout games and once you've put the game away (late in the 4th!)

GIVE EXTRA attention to the weaker players whenever you can attempting to build their skills and confidence and enthusiasm for the game!!
And explain honestly this philosophy to the parents (of the weaker players!)........PRIVATELY!........... and follow up by REALLY giving a damn about that weaker player's improvement and PLACE on the team as a whole. Do that, and you'll be an awesome coach and MOST reasonable parent's will thank you!
Not the L. Ball's of the world, of course!

Have fun Boris. It's cool of you to volunteer your time and energy to help other kids!
2/1/2018 10:54 AM
he just likes spending time with young boys wearing shorts!!!!
2/1/2018 12:16 PM
I coach girls. You are a weirdo.
2/1/2018 1:45 PM
You should have specified that. My response was based on the notion it was boys basketball. At 12 Girls may be WAY less competitive overall, plus the skill sets could likely vary even more widely making your position even harder IMO. I can't even WATCH girlBBall at the college level. Or pro. I'm just used to more natural athleticism on a basketball court. Plus the game is entirely different. SLOWER.

I know. I'm sexist. I also TRY and tell the truth, however unpopular.
2/1/2018 2:27 PM
You are correct. This is an excellent team though. Div 1. Not as athletic as the boys but skilled.
2/1/2018 2:28 PM
It is not racist to enjoy boys basketball over girls basketball btw.
2/1/2018 2:44 PM
Posted by tangplay on 2/1/2018 2:44:00 PM (view original):
It is not racist to enjoy boys basketball over girls basketball btw.
Girls / Boys = Gender not Race

You mean it is not sexist?
2/1/2018 2:45 PM
Yeah, my bad.
2/1/2018 4:42 PM
Yeah, my advice was given under the impression that you were coaching boys.
2/1/2018 6:18 PM
Sorry
2/1/2018 6:19 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 2/1/2018 1:45:00 PM (view original):
I coach girls. You are a weirdo.
not sure how liking to spend time with 12 year old girls wearing shorts is much better. And I am a weirdo. I admit it. So what? Being normal is boring.
2/1/2018 6:25 PM
Question regarding AAU Hoops Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.