Explain Your Coach Name Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 2/3/2018 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ftbeaglesfan on 2/3/2018 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Fan of the football team Philadelphia Eagles!
I initially thought you were a beagles fan. As a supporter of animal charities, I thought that was nice.

But you're a fan of the bastards that gave Vick a shot at a NFL comeback. Not so nice after all.

Only one team can make me say "Go Patriots!!" and they're in the Super Bowl.
I too always read his name as "ft beagles fan"... Thought he appreciated dogs who could make foul shots. Whoops.

Uh, my name is fairly arbitrary. I've always been a logophile and an etymology nerd. I like words with multiple meanings (sol/soul/sole) and words that have structures largely dissimilar to other words in the English language (phenom).

Sol is God of the Sun in Ancient Roman mythology. But it's also part of words like sole (the bottom of a shoe, a fish, an adjective meaning on one's own), soul, solar (related to the God, Sol), and solo (similar to sole but a noun). I like the idea of singlehandedly (solo/sole) bringing light (sol/solar) into people's lives in a spiritual/emotional way (soul). The phenom part is just because I wanted something like "sol_legend" or "sole_myth" or "sole_champ" etc. and thought phenom was the coolest word of the bunch. Plus it has its root as a sports term (dating back to the late 19th century to describe outstanding up-and-coming soccer players) and the original Greek root "phainein" or "to show" kind of relates to the "sol" element.

If you want to interpret it strictly via etymological roots, my username basically means "Light Show" or "Talented Sun God with Ridiculously High Ceiling".
2/3/2018 1:54 PM
Posted by kevodaphenom on 2/2/2018 3:24:00 PM (view original):
I was a pretty good swimmer back in the day and a local newspaper article called me a "phenom" (I was 12 lol). So I got conceited and called myself "da phenom". To this day, at the ripe old age of 26 I hope to one day live up to that name.

Who remembers when having a text message signature was cool? I do! Mine was "D@ Ph3nom". Sad times...
so....
you peaked when you were 12?

my claim to fame is that im 54 and i havent peaked yet! (or at least keep telling myself that)
2/3/2018 3:19 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
oldave..

first, major clarification...
its ol' dave (like in good ol' dave)
not old dave
or old ave
although both of those are increasingly appropriate

I think i was mid 30s when i picked that name.
not in that same age bracket anymore even though i never changed it on my bio here.

i sign all my sitemails here :
ol D

2/3/2018 3:28 PM
Posted by oldave on 2/3/2018 3:24:00 PM (view original):
regarding vick... and i know this makes me unpopular as hell and politically incorrect... but i just never understood it. the man was put in jail for abusing animals?

i really dont understand the difference between dogs vs cows or chickens or pigs.
i mean... if it was YOUR god he abused or killed... ok... i get that needs to be punished. but they were his dogs right? i say he should do as he damn well pleases with his dogs just like mcdonalds does as they please with their chickens, pigs and cows.

sorry dog lovers. maybe they should put me in jail too
Say what you will about the meat industry, but to my knowledge, McDonalds doesn't force cows to fight each other to the death.
2/3/2018 3:54 PM
regarding vick... and i know this makes me unpopular as hell and politically incorrect... but i just never understood it. the man was put in jail for abusing animals?

i really dont understand the difference between dogs vs cows or chickens or pigs.
i mean... if it was YOUR god he abused or killed... ok... i get that needs to be punished. but they were his dogs right? i say he should do as he damn well pleases with his dogs just like mcdonalds does as they please with their chickens, pigs and cows.

I have typed and deleted several different things. I will just go with.....Wow.
2/3/2018 4:10 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 2/3/2018 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 2/3/2018 1:19:00 PM (view original):
FLY EAGLES FLY ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY!

All the people who gave Vick a second chance are out of Philly.
Uh... righto. Jeffrey Lurie has owned the team since 94, Vick signed with them in 09.

In fairness though, Lurie is a huge dog lover, and he wanted to give Vick an opportunity to save more animals than he harmed. I like redemption stories, and I didn't hate the move.
i meant more GMs and coaches
2/3/2018 4:15 PM

Because it's your dog!
2/3/2018 4:24 PM
Posted by texrangers18 on 2/3/2018 4:10:00 PM (view original):

I have typed and deleted several different things. I will just go with.....Wow.
ug
2/3/2018 4:25 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 2/3/2018 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kcsundevil on 2/3/2018 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 2/3/2018 1:19:00 PM (view original):
FLY EAGLES FLY ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY!

All the people who gave Vick a second chance are out of Philly.
Uh... righto. Jeffrey Lurie has owned the team since 94, Vick signed with them in 09.

In fairness though, Lurie is a huge dog lover, and he wanted to give Vick an opportunity to save more animals than he harmed. I like redemption stories, and I didn't hate the move.
i meant more GMs and coaches
Strike two! Doug Pederson was an Eagles coach in 09.
2/3/2018 4:34 PM
yeah ... ikinda thought that might be unpopular... probably shouldve created an alias for that one.
2/3/2018 4:49 PM
im thinking God might be a dog lover to based on the recent history of my sports teams
2/3/2018 4:50 PM
i havent given my "dog fighting is ok by me" views very often.... but i dont know if ive ever had anyone agree with me... which is strange because my viewpoint makes perfect sense to me.

and dont even try to tell me that meat producers are all warm and fuzzy with their animals and work really hard to make sure they have a great quality of life up until the point they kill them.. thats rediculous.

and for the record, i havent and wouldnt participate in dog fighting, but i also wouldnt pierce my nipples or fast for 36 hours, or live my life without car or electricity... but thousands (millions?) of americans do each of these things... and thats cool with me. if they have some tradition of having thier dogs fight... kinda weird,... but,,, its their dog. to actually incarcerate a guy for that just boggles my mind
2/3/2018 4:59 PM
sorry to get so far off topic... ill create my own topic so texrangers can tell me how he really feels
2/3/2018 5:01 PM
Posted by oldave on 2/3/2018 4:59:00 PM (view original):
i havent given my "dog fighting is ok by me" views very often.... but i dont know if ive ever had anyone agree with me... which is strange because my viewpoint makes perfect sense to me.

and dont even try to tell me that meat producers are all warm and fuzzy with their animals and work really hard to make sure they have a great quality of life up until the point they kill them.. thats rediculous.

and for the record, i havent and wouldnt participate in dog fighting, but i also wouldnt pierce my nipples or fast for 36 hours, or live my life without car or electricity... but thousands (millions?) of americans do each of these things... and thats cool with me. if they have some tradition of having thier dogs fight... kinda weird,... but,,, its their dog. to actually incarcerate a guy for that just boggles my mind
Wow.
2/3/2018 5:06 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...10 Next ▸
Explain Your Coach Name Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.