Anyone run a 2-3 at D1? I want to look over some game logs but don't know where to start.
2/6/2018 9:07 AM
I played it last season at VT, but since it’s last season you can’t see the game logs. I switched to 3-2 this season because of personal.
2/6/2018 10:42 AM
When you play zone are you married to running either the 2-3 or 3-2? I was under the impression that you just practiced "zone" and you could flip between the two based on your opponent.

I've never run a zone before, so forgive my ignorance, but I'm thinking of giving it a shot with my new D1 team in Tark, so I'm interested in checking out some examples too.
2/6/2018 12:07 PM
Posted by slayterhill on 2/6/2018 12:07:00 PM (view original):
When you play zone are you married to running either the 2-3 or 3-2? I was under the impression that you just practiced "zone" and you could flip between the two based on your opponent.

I've never run a zone before, so forgive my ignorance, but I'm thinking of giving it a shot with my new D1 team in Tark, so I'm interested in checking out some examples too.
You can flip between, but sometimes you’re limited by the personnel you have. I played predominantly press/2-3 this year with both OKSt and Oregon, though I usually prefer press/3-2. Just a function of promises, and having more serviceable bigs than guards.
2/6/2018 12:17 PM
My SF generally has the highest ATH/DEF combination on my team, so I'm always alternating between 2-3 and 3-2 depending on how opponents gameplan.
2/6/2018 12:55 PM
I play 2-3 at Mount St. Mary’s. Feel free to look over my game logs. (and provide feedback where needed)
2/6/2018 7:11 PM
I play zone at Hawaii in Crum - not that I am a real zone guru
2/6/2018 7:32 PM
Posted by mbriese on 2/6/2018 12:55:00 PM (view original):
My SF generally has the highest ATH/DEF combination on my team, so I'm always alternating between 2-3 and 3-2 depending on how opponents gameplan.
same with me. I love running zone. i try to recruit my SFs to be defensive studs, so that i can switch between 2-3 and 3-2 depending on my opponent. although the one caveat i would add, is that zone defenses definitely give up more offensive boards, and switching to a 3-2 exacerbates that even more. i can't stress enough...when playing zone, make rebounding a priority attribute...and when you think you've got a solid rebounding team, add some more!
2/6/2018 10:50 PM
Posted by andrew5975 on 2/6/2018 10:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mbriese on 2/6/2018 12:55:00 PM (view original):
same with me. I love running zone. i try to recruit my SFs to be defensive studs, so that i can switch between 2-3 and 3-2 depending on my opponent. although the one caveat i would add, is that zone defenses definitely give up more offensive boards, and switching to a 3-2 exacerbates that even more. i can't stress enough...when playing zone, make rebounding a priority attribute...and when you think you've got a solid rebounding team, add some more!
Good advice. For any of the three levels really.
2/7/2018 1:13 AM
I play zone at three schools. I mostly play 3-2 at all three because they are so good against three point shooting. Through experience I have learned that I need to recruit very good rebounding for the SF position otherwise I will get killed on the boards.

With zone you need to adjust your positioning from what a typical M2M team would play. So if a M2M team would play a team +1 that shoots 33% of their shots from 3 point land, a 3-2 zone team would play them 0 and still be at least as effective. I only go +1 when a team shoots more than 40% from 3 pt land. This way you keep your rebounding in the ballpark with your opponent.

I rarely play 2-3 unless there is just a huge disparity of inside shooting/rebounding. I think that in the three leagues I play in (all 2X a day leagues), most teams shoot at least 33% of their shots from 3 which is why I am mostly in the 3-2 defense.
3/3/2018 9:26 AM
Ive played 2-3 at ORU in Phelan. Not well mind you, but I play it.
3/3/2018 3:00 PM
I don't determine whether I run the 3-2 or 2-3 based on my SF, but rather based on my C. If I have a weak C, there is no way I am exposing him in the 2-3, if he is a stud then it is a safe play.
3/3/2018 4:07 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 3/3/2018 4:07:00 PM (view original):
I don't determine whether I run the 3-2 or 2-3 based on my SF, but rather based on my C. If I have a weak C, there is no way I am exposing him in the 2-3, if he is a stud then it is a safe play.
Good point snafu. I always make sure my C is strong on defense so that I have the 2-3/3-2 flexibility
3/3/2018 4:33 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.