Are worlds becoming too dominated Topic

"What are your thoughts on my being unable to recruit the top RB available to me but having virtually no chance once up against an elite team in D2?"
"I realize that it is almost impossible (at least for me) to win a National Championship at Northern St. When recruiting comes along I am lucky if there are 2 or 3 players in my 100 mile radius and luckier still if 1 is good enough to be considered by a D3 school."

Well, since this isn't about you, I'll just agree with the majority of posters in this thread so far that someone who learns the game can rise to a dominant position. The guys at the top have either learned to get there or start and stay there. I'll try to learn to get there, too. It looks to me like dynasties have been created in pretty much every part of the US.
2/12/2018 2:51 PM
Posted by colewharton on 2/12/2018 1:59:00 PM (view original):
I have been away from the game and recently dipped my toes back in to D1AA in Heisman. My first recruiting cycle was miserable and my team sucks but Ill work on them. I only have one national title and it was at Gannon in yost I believe, it can be done if you build correctly and always ask better coaches. DublinUF and Tribewarrior helped me a ton many years ago and I have had success because of what I learned. The best coaches will always build powerhouses its the way the game is set up but you also can build one just as easily it just takes patience and a good plan. I learned offensive and defensive strategies by looking at what the best coaches in all the worlds did and trying to copy that. One thing I have learned in a rebuild is that it never hurts to schedule 5 cupckaes and buid your record up and try to sneak a playoff win or two to level the vision playing field a bit.
I took a 3-4 year break from GD a while back...my first class? I totally screwed up with yatzr's recruiting tool and ended up signing....*gasp*....ALL SIMS!

Took several seasons to get back in the groove, but it's like riding a bicycle
2/12/2018 2:51 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 2/12/2018 2:51:00 PM (view original):
"What are your thoughts on my being unable to recruit the top RB available to me but having virtually no chance once up against an elite team in D2?"
"I realize that it is almost impossible (at least for me) to win a National Championship at Northern St. When recruiting comes along I am lucky if there are 2 or 3 players in my 100 mile radius and luckier still if 1 is good enough to be considered by a D3 school."

Well, since this isn't about you, I'll just agree with the majority of posters in this thread so far that someone who learns the game can rise to a dominant position. The guys at the top have either learned to get there or start and stay there. I'll try to learn to get there, too. It looks to me like dynasties have been created in pretty much every part of the US.
Yep, the general concentration of recruits are in the Midwest and (not too far) NE. Think Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. However, there is a reason for that. And that is because that's where the highest concentration of colleges are. So, If you move out West or down South, you'll have less recruits but less competition. It's a trade off. You can win a NC at literally ANY school in the country, at least at the lower levels.
2/12/2018 2:56 PM
Or , you can take on what IMO is the Ultimate Challenge and try nabbing a NC at 1A at Hawaii :)
2/12/2018 5:41 PM
Actually, one day I am going to give that a go. Would love the challenge in HI.

nitros
2/12/2018 5:44 PM
That would be a crazy challenge!!!
2/12/2018 7:04 PM
Posted by bigpoppa85 on 2/12/2018 2:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colewharton on 2/12/2018 1:59:00 PM (view original):
I have been away from the game and recently dipped my toes back in to D1AA in Heisman. My first recruiting cycle was miserable and my team sucks but Ill work on them. I only have one national title and it was at Gannon in yost I believe, it can be done if you build correctly and always ask better coaches. DublinUF and Tribewarrior helped me a ton many years ago and I have had success because of what I learned. The best coaches will always build powerhouses its the way the game is set up but you also can build one just as easily it just takes patience and a good plan. I learned offensive and defensive strategies by looking at what the best coaches in all the worlds did and trying to copy that. One thing I have learned in a rebuild is that it never hurts to schedule 5 cupckaes and buid your record up and try to sneak a playoff win or two to level the vision playing field a bit.
I took a 3-4 year break from GD a while back...my first class? I totally screwed up with yatzr's recruiting tool and ended up signing....*gasp*....ALL SIMS!

Took several seasons to get back in the groove, but it's like riding a bicycle
Yeah man I got a little over aggressive and it hurt me. Especially at 1aa and not being established.
2/12/2018 7:15 PM
Keys to winning at D2:
A. Get a team that has a recruiting advantage. Here are my top 10:
1. St. Joseph's
2. Indianapolis
3. Mansfield
4. Bloomsberg
5. Millersville
6. Grand Valley State
7. Kutztown
8. Cheney
9. West Chester
10. Shippenburg
(You notice that a lot of these teams are in the PSAC. Best D2 conference by far.)

B. Learn how to recruit good players. YOu will not be able to compete with the best owners at this level without the best players with good potential. To learn how to recruit, you have to study this forums. There is a shitload of info in here. Start by searching 'manifesto'.

C. Increase your vision to be able to see the best players available to the best D2 teams. The only way to do this is to win as many games as you can. Vision is based on the total wins by your team over the last 3 seasons. So unless you already picked up a team that has at least 30 wins over the past 3 seasons, this is a key priority for you. The best D2 teams have 45+ wins over the past 3 seasons. That is what you are competing against.

D. Decide what kind of game you want to play, and get the athletes that fit your style.

E. Decide whether or not you want to put in the time to really learn this game. If you don't want to put in the time, then quit crying about it.
2/12/2018 8:29 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 2/12/2018 8:29:00 PM (view original):
Keys to winning at D2:
A. Get a team that has a recruiting advantage. Here are my top 10:
1. St. Joseph's
2. Indianapolis
3. Mansfield
4. Bloomsberg
5. Millersville
6. Grand Valley State
7. Kutztown
8. Cheney
9. West Chester
10. Shippenburg
(You notice that a lot of these teams are in the PSAC. Best D2 conference by far.)

B. Learn how to recruit good players. YOu will not be able to compete with the best owners at this level without the best players with good potential. To learn how to recruit, you have to study this forums. There is a shitload of info in here. Start by searching 'manifesto'.

C. Increase your vision to be able to see the best players available to the best D2 teams. The only way to do this is to win as many games as you can. Vision is based on the total wins by your team over the last 3 seasons. So unless you already picked up a team that has at least 30 wins over the past 3 seasons, this is a key priority for you. The best D2 teams have 45+ wins over the past 3 seasons. That is what you are competing against.

D. Decide what kind of game you want to play, and get the athletes that fit your style.

E. Decide whether or not you want to put in the time to really learn this game. If you don't want to put in the time, then quit crying about it.
Humboldt is always great in every world, only school in CA.

i just took over Western New Mexico and it’s great too, closest to Southern California
2/12/2018 9:04 PM
bjschumacher = stud advice. +1.

nitros
2/12/2018 9:15 PM
I would think Valdosta State has to be on that list....but I may be a homer.
2/12/2018 9:41 PM
I can make recruiting a lot simpler for those that need the help. Find the file in the help file system of GD that shows a chart of Practicing what increases Which Attributes and there is another chart near it that shows which positions benefit from which attributes.
Make copies of these charts and keep them with you near your PC/tablet or whatever you recruit on. Then just use these charts to find the best players at the positions you are recruiting for.
After you look at them enough times you won't even need the charts.
Just knowing these charts will increase the ability of your recruiting effectiveness 100 Percent !
2/12/2018 11:56 PM
Mojolad - Do you customize your practice plans?
2/13/2018 3:34 PM
Posted by mjacques on 2/13/2018 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Mojolad - Do you customize your practice plans?
Yes, I do. But one of the greatest coaches in this game has told me he doesn't except for a couple of positions.
Myself I try to use those charts as a basis of what to practice for each position.
2/13/2018 7:52 PM
thx for the feedback
2/13/2018 8:39 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Are worlds becoming too dominated Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.