looking at going to a fastbreak offense with possible press defense at high D 1 any advice would be appreciated
2/16/2018 5:11 PM
It’s tough because the ath/speed advantage you can expect at lower levels aren’t really achievable at high d1.

I would recruit almost exclusively 90+ Ath speed and defense. If you have 6 of those guys you’ll have. A chance
2/17/2018 8:25 PM
I don’t play it in D1, but the game mechanic concepts are the same. Stamina is a bit more important than any other set combination, athleticism, speed and defense are also at a premium, and it’s pretty important to fill your roster and not take walkons. To that point, early entry caliber players are probably less valuable to a high D1 FB/press team than high core, 4 year types.

ETA, it’s hilarious that this goes a day unanswered, and TJ and I answer at the same time.
2/17/2018 8:26 PM
one thing i would try if i did it again is not using press defense. that seems like a perfect match, but at high D1 with EEs (and maybe a lost battle here and there) its hard to consistently put 11-12 good players on your roster every season. and you just absolutely gotta have depth to run fb/press. and obviously stamina. I feel like that desperate need for depth and stamina might be lessened a tad if defense wasnt press.

also felt fb was less consistent than other offenses... so maybe you win a few you shouldnt... and lose a few you shouldnt.
well... if you think you have the best team and need to win 6 in a row... thats not good.

been a looong time since i ran it at cuse tark, so take it for what its worth. but i dont think the basics of fb have changed since then. being able to recruit more nationally should help so youve got a bigger pool to select the specific type player you need.

2/17/2018 10:36 PM
if you run fastbreak and zone what type of player is the best ?
2/18/2018 9:59 AM
I happen to really like FB/zone but I am in the real minority on that.

IMO, that set marries you to the 3-2. I would focus on three guards, almost ignoring REB for the 3. Trade everything for speed! At D3, I would want my 1-2-3 to average 80 speed.

Since speed is such a high importance, pairing that with PER and/or BH is the easiest way to generate scoring.

Defensively, the high speed will cover up lowish ATH/DEF but you still want those to average about 100 for the 3-2. If your 1-2-3 average 80 Speed and 100 ATH+DEF, you should be a solid D3 team defensively.

For post players, I value SPEED a little more important for scorers and BLK more for defense. It's easier to find wing scorers so I mostly focus on DEF/BLK/REB/ATH.
2/18/2018 1:09 PM
At D1 Fastbreak and zone are the two least played offense and defense, so if there is a player that has those as a preference you have an advantage in recruiting.
2/18/2018 10:40 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.