Would you guys like a league in which there were only one rule.. no clones.. but BUT.. with the objective of seeing how we would do with only 1 or 2 of the usual culprits? No blacklist.. just draft your team, BUT go with some different faces. For eg: I seldom see the 54 goals Secord in here, or the 48 goals Tocchet.. high pims keep them out.

Towards that end, Here is what I have for a team: Neely 55 goals (seldom use him) Secord 54. Glenn Anderson with 54 and 49.. d 71 and UNDER 20%. and of course, Rick Martin and 89 Gilmour. ONLY 3 guys over d 84 up front.Gilmour, Martin and of course one vanilla, - Finnigan. Back end only 3 over 84..

But draft whatever you want to. No blacklist, no other rules... so if you want to do a Chuck style team with all 90+ go to it.. but more fun with something different. Bottom line is it's your money.. I'd love to see something different though. . I won't use 99 or 66 in this one.. unless on a lesser scale

So whaddya think?

This one would have just AA ml, ww on, trades, and the usual no injuries, etc
2/18/2018 6:10 AM (edited)
Why not limit the SH% & the D rating to force the use of different players? Maybe we'd see more players from the 50's, 60's & 70's. The larger salary caps always see the same players used. It does get really boring. Wouldn't it be a fresh change to use Mikita, Howe, Richard ...? Or Crosby, Forsberg, Datsyuk, ...? If someone wanted to use 99 or 66, they'd have to use a more mortal version. Maybe SH% under 20 & D rating under 80. And limit the number of forwards over 60 D. Or something along those lines.
2/17/2018 4:21 PM
Posted by splat58 on 2/17/2018 4:21:00 PM (view original):
Why not limit the SH% & the D rating to force the use of different players? Maybe we'd see more players from the 50's, 60's & 70's. The larger salary caps always see the same players used. It does get really boring. Wouldn't it be a fresh change to use Mikita, Howe, Richard ...? Or Crosby, Forsberg, Datsyuk, ...? If someone wanted to use 99 or 66, they'd have to use a more mortal version. Maybe SH% under 20 & D rating under 80. And limit the number of forwards over 60 D. Or something along those lines.
I like that idea, Splat. Thing is, then Mike comes in and says 'Too many restrictions' so different flavors for different owners. I will sift that through.. and perhaps limit or filter out the big gunner 99, 66, 22, 17's and cap their % at 'Less than 20. Other thing I could do is filter all wingers over 7m who are over 20%, and all centers over 20%. We would see more of Rick Martin, Brian Leach, Gilmour (my favorite anyhow) and less of big bag Bossy, Luc but still get a good 20
5 winger for 6.8 million.. With the D rates.. I could apply that to skaters over a million.. so you still get Langlois Timgren etc for checkers or cheap spares who can fill a hole for 2 games.. Cou8ld go with max out = 2. This does present a problem though. the WW cannot be used as it doesn't 'See' the blacklist once the league starts

Could also filter D men over $5 mill.. but then everyone comes in with Daneyko 95, 3 x 93 plus Klingberg/Faulk and Doughty94. . . therefore more vanilla

80 mill cap is good

How about: D men over 85 = no go. AND skaters over 20% no go unless.. under D rate 55.. so no mega Lemieux, but yes to Tkachuk 50g , Paul Maclean, and etc
Or roll with Forsberg ( total sim dud imo) and guys like Stoughton 52g and tons of great C around $6m +/- $400g

Goalies? Could cap at 90.1% but what's the point?? A 93% $7m is no better than a 90.8% - 4.5m so will eave g.t. alone

So no g.t. limit, and members can waste 4 mill in net, or can spend on decent defence

Keep the ideas coming
2/18/2018 4:09 AM (edited)
No matter what idea you come up with, there will be folks who don't like it. As far as the WW, just eliminate it. Dance with who brung ya. Personally, I've lost interest in the high cap leagues where you find the 95D Shutt's & so on. These guys may have been responsible defensive players, but not god-like. They played on super teams & ended up with high plus ratings, thus WIS gives them ridiculous D ratings.

Extreme shot suppression is boring and not much of a challenge with those players available. They are as cookie cutter as the open leagues. Would there be any interest out there in decade leagues? Chuck ran one not too long ago that I found interesting because we used players that we don't normally use.

Why play this game if we can't enjoy using that huge pool of players? It seems like such a waste. Does anyone ever use Kevin Stevens, Eric Lindros, Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Jean Pronovost, Rocket Richard, Marcel Dionne, John Tonelli, Boom Boom Geoffrion, ...............? I never see them.
2/18/2018 11:13 AM
League number?
2/19/2018 12:38 PM
Posted by Buster05 on 2/19/2018 12:38:00 PM (view original):
League number?
Buster, I haven't made the league yet. AND, to those who have input to the Q in this thread. THANK YOU.

I am working on it. OBTW Kevin Stevens: You never see him because he is like Patrick Roy is to SIM goal tending. Total dud.. and if I make a theme league maybe a decade league, I will b list him just to give the new guys a break.. along with Tony Esposito, also the wingers who are over D rate 80 with over 50 points.. maybe for just one decade.. Lots of ways to go. 100m is a decent cap

I also have an idea for a tough guy league.. 5 forwards must be over 2.5 p/p/game, and also 3 Def over 2 pim/game and I could erase all the $165g guys like Ewen so guys can't load up on cheap high pim spares

I am in no hurry on this one, and there are leagues trying to fill already
2/19/2018 8:18 PM (edited)
Splat: Also, I have used Tonelli, and Rocket Richard.. Tonelli was Dead Dud awful, and Richard was the same.. That's why you never see them..
2/19/2018 8:31 PM
In the right league I'll give all those guys a shot, so don't ban K Stevens. I'm up for trying different players.

Glen, list all your duds & I'll try them all on the same team for the heck of it, if it's feasible.
2/19/2018 10:38 PM
Posted by splat58 on 2/19/2018 10:38:00 PM (view original):
In the right league I'll give all those guys a shot, so don't ban K Stevens. I'm up for trying different players.

Glen, list all your duds & I'll try them all on the same team for the heck of it, if it's feasible.
Ok I will list four and two G.T. and no blacklist. As usual there will be no inj or susp so sevens will go good .. and there is one season he does quite well

Like the idea of a tough guy league? They can be fun
2/20/2018 4:20 AM
Anything that adds variety to WIS hockey & team building would be welcome. Any ideas that eliminate the use of the ridiculously high D-ratings & the extreme suppression of offense, and allows for the use of all the great players saddled with mortal SH%. Anything that corrects the absurdity of Doug Jarvis being a more valuable player than Jean Beliveau or Stan Mikita or.....name your great player. It seems like only a tiny fraction of the vast player pool ever gets used. Boring.
2/20/2018 12:03 PM (edited)
If I did cap all the forwards 20+% and over 80.. and killed off the 20 percenters over $8 million.. then everyone would bump to the lower ceiling.. What does work is add the d rates of D men and must be less than 500 and that's 83 average a piece.

THEN.. Go a bit nuts blacklisting the humongous monster scoring 25% forwards like Bossy and Kurri.. OR have a first round draft. Said draft to be in order of the owner's season winning percentage. so Chuck, you pick last.. ed in the first 3 and etc..I be about 8th with .550 but just one round.. Forwards only.. Result? Most of the vanilla gone
2/20/2018 9:33 AM
To UN suppress the offence.. I can blacklist D at 80 (U get Faulk and a good Klingberg at D 74, and bargain basement Gostisbehere) and Blacklist goalies at $3500 and 90.2%.. Block all the over 80 wingers and centers ceiling 90d Working on it, Splat.. the thing is to go outside what I want, and serve a good menu for the league owners to eat off of

Rather do the one draft round and forwards only.. then b list D over 80 and be nasty and say their rates can add up to no more than 420... so average 70
2/20/2018 9:39 AM
Posted by splat58 on 2/20/2018 12:03:00 PM (view original):
Anything that adds variety to WIS hockey & team building would be welcome. Any ideas that eliminate the use of the ridiculously high D-ratings & the extreme suppression of offense, and allows for the use of all the great players saddled with mortal SH%. Anything that corrects the absurdity of Doug Jarvis being a more valuable player than Jean Beliveau or Stan Mikita or.....name your great player. It seems like only a tiny fraction of the vast player pool ever gets used. Boring.
If it was game seven of the SCF and my team had a 3-2 lead, and Kelly Sutherland called a crap pen on us with 31 sec left.. faceoff in our D zone.. and I could have anyone in hockey History to take that faceoff.. his name would be Doug Jarvis.
2/21/2018 7:47 AM (edited)
How about an 80mil cap and a limit you can spend on individual players say 5 or 6mil or a limit you can spend on defense total then by position total for centers, left wing, right wing. Goalies you can use dollar limitation or save % say nothing higher than 90, just my suggestions
2/21/2018 11:08 PM
I have another way to limit high defense ratings an example would be defense TOTAL for the 6 Dmen on roster cant have a TOTAL higher than lets say 450 or 420 I guess you can do that with the other positions as well, just a thought,
2/21/2018 11:22 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.