Just noticed a second roster in D3 in which every single player is a senior

can this be done at other levels and why has WIS not addressed this

in hoops dynasty you cannot have more than 6 in a class

even with a great team it is hard to beat a team with that much depth - not to mention they have
a ridiculous amount of money to recr with that season

it's fine if that's what a coach wants to do but this seems like something that would have been fixed a long time ago

2/18/2018 10:20 AM
It has been a while since we did battle in the MIAC (warner world). Those were great battles. Since then you have gone on to have great success. This thread is interesting because I have moved to try to get as large a class at Northern as possible so I can compete up here in D2. This last recruiting period I had 31 open slots and over $200K. You may have seen my thread recently on whether elites have 2 big of an advantage. There was not much response thinking that was the case but mojo did say it was a significant advantage and he liked it because his teams are quite often the recipient of the advantage. With my bankroll I set out to get as many top players as possible and in particular had my eye on the best RB in my vision. I immediately got him to commit to me but quickly was in a battle then lost him to one of the four elite teams in D2. Though I made repeated attempts tp get him back most of my requests for CV and HCV were rejected along with spending nearly $2000 on max PT offers and frosh starts. All rejected. He signed elsewhere and was redshirted. My other team just completed recruiting. The National Champion signed 13 players. For certain 12 of those players were outside my vision and I think the 13th one was also and I have pretty good vision. Several of those players I would have liked to have had the opportunity to compete for. Now I see many recruits committed to your school in my D2 worlds. They are committed to your school more often than any other D3 school and it is not even close. These players would most often not be the caliber of player I would recruit but stand out at the D3 level. This has got to give you a huge advantage. I keep wondering when I read that great coaches dominate worlds why they also need this huge advantage. But that is the way the game is set up. So when you see someone stacking their squad with freshman to build a dominant senior class they may just be trying to level the playing field a little.
2/18/2018 2:05 PM
Big mistake ..and wasteful, imo, to stack seniors like that.
2/18/2018 2:57 PM
Posted by ranger1951 on 2/18/2018 2:05:00 PM (view original):
It has been a while since we did battle in the MIAC (warner world). Those were great battles. Since then you have gone on to have great success. This thread is interesting because I have moved to try to get as large a class at Northern as possible so I can compete up here in D2. This last recruiting period I had 31 open slots and over $200K. You may have seen my thread recently on whether elites have 2 big of an advantage. There was not much response thinking that was the case but mojo did say it was a significant advantage and he liked it because his teams are quite often the recipient of the advantage. With my bankroll I set out to get as many top players as possible and in particular had my eye on the best RB in my vision. I immediately got him to commit to me but quickly was in a battle then lost him to one of the four elite teams in D2. Though I made repeated attempts tp get him back most of my requests for CV and HCV were rejected along with spending nearly $2000 on max PT offers and frosh starts. All rejected. He signed elsewhere and was redshirted. My other team just completed recruiting. The National Champion signed 13 players. For certain 12 of those players were outside my vision and I think the 13th one was also and I have pretty good vision. Several of those players I would have liked to have had the opportunity to compete for. Now I see many recruits committed to your school in my D2 worlds. They are committed to your school more often than any other D3 school and it is not even close. These players would most often not be the caliber of player I would recruit but stand out at the D3 level. This has got to give you a huge advantage. I keep wondering when I read that great coaches dominate worlds why they also need this huge advantage. But that is the way the game is set up. So when you see someone stacking their squad with freshman to build a dominant senior class they may just be trying to level the playing field a little.
Your mind is made up Ranger and nothing anyone says will change it. I can think of 6 coaches right off the top of my head that would prove you wrong. They could take a rebuild team and turn it into a NC ..they could take your team and turn it into a NC. I try and tap into their heads as often as they will let me. I reverse engineer their teams constantly trying to figure out how they do it. It's not usually something big, but a combination of little things that add up.

So you can continue your pity party if it makes you feel better, or work at it and ask for a tip or two. Most of them will write a small novel when responding to a question.
2/18/2018 3:06 PM
Realist, I don't like to respond to these types of responses but I will. I are misreading what I am saying. I am sure there are a number of coaches who take what I have and do better than me. I do not claim to be great at the game. I also know many can take a rebuild and make it great. No argument here. I take a little defense to the phrase "pity party". I am not asking anyone to change my mind. I believe there is a huge advantage to the top teams. I also believe I have an advantage over several because I do enjoy pretty decent vision. I would give it up if everyone had the same opportunity to go recruit the best players. I am sorry you to offense to me having an opinion.
2/18/2018 3:17 PM
You are very good Ranger. I have competed against you. Absolutely those top teams have an advantage. It's not as big, or insurmountable as you keep saying.

For instance, I have read a few people try to subtlety give you a particular tip. You don't pick up on it because you don't want to hear it. Next time you are in a league with mojo. Take a look at GD reports and see where his recruiting class ends up being ranked. With all his vision he doesn't take the top ranked players., Go to yatzr and look at a particular position. You will find he is not taking players that you can't see. In fact the players he picks are ranked in the teens usually.

Why is that?
2/18/2018 3:39 PM
The huge recruiting classes are a pain, but WIS allows them despite years of complaints from coaches, so not much you can do about it. Besides, the 50-recruits in a class coaches aren't thinking it through. Why do you need two complete teams? Half of your seniors ride the bench. The tough ones to compete against are the 22-3-22-3 distributions. Also, why voluntarily give away 9 potential red-shirts? Just live though that one tough season, and spend the next three recruiting in the guy's back yard.
2/18/2018 4:14 PM
I don't see that this strategy is worth banning. Where would you draw the line? I would say that the majority of teams in GD don't have balanced classes +/- 2 or 3 players per class. From my experience coaching at D1A Hawaii, having severely unbalanced classes does offer its benefits. All players in one class does seem extreme, but if that's the coach's preference, so be it.
2/18/2018 4:26 PM
I don't know if this is something that needs to be banned. It seems to be slippery slope, besides, that is part of what makes this game what it is, the ability to set your team up as you want.

I have recently taken over another Coe team that had 29 juniors. I had one scholly to fill in my 1st recruiting cycle. Managed to get a STL QB and redshirted him. Part of what I liked about the roster distribution of this Coe team was the 29, now 30 player class. It gives me a different way to look at recruiting and building a team. I am planning on being a bit more experimental with practice plan distribution as well. Shockingly, this same team is currently ranked #1 with all SIM recruits. I may end up with a 1 seed in the playoffs, I will be the worst 1 seed ever!
2/18/2018 9:33 PM
So ive been playing for 24 seasons, much less than many coaches. My theory is that if the game allows it, then the coach should have the opportunity to do whatever they want in terms of building classes. When i take on a new team (im only in 4 worlds), i try to take the first few seasons and balance my classes 13,12,13,12 or 14,11,12,13 depending on which is quicker to get to. I like the depth on my rosters because i feel it is important. If i have 2 LB studs leaving, ive got 2 more taking their place. I may be doing it all wrong and some of you might think it is crazy, but the balance i try to keep is 4QB,4RB,6WR,2TE,8OL,8DL,8LB,8DB,K,P.

One problem with that is when i get balanced, i do not use the red shirt as i should, i simply let the players develop and expose them their Jr year.
Those are my thoughts
2/21/2018 3:29 PM
I just inherited a team that needs 28 spots filled. I would like much more balanced classes, but that’s going to take awhile. It’s not my choice to do it that way.
2/21/2018 6:09 PM
When I took over my first Hawaii team, I had 31 spots to fill. Obviously that was a monumental task. I decided to actively try to fill about 22 spots, and then see what else I got. It worked out pretty well. After experiencing a few seasons at Hawaii, and applying a few of the same principles with my other teams, my favorite split is 2 classes with 17 players, and 2 classes with 8 players. Plus or minus, of course. But that gives you a lot of flexibility.
2/21/2018 7:08 PM
Posted by dmac1213 on 2/21/2018 3:29:00 PM (view original):
So ive been playing for 24 seasons, much less than many coaches. My theory is that if the game allows it, then the coach should have the opportunity to do whatever they want in terms of building classes. When i take on a new team (im only in 4 worlds), i try to take the first few seasons and balance my classes 13,12,13,12 or 14,11,12,13 depending on which is quicker to get to. I like the depth on my rosters because i feel it is important. If i have 2 LB studs leaving, ive got 2 more taking their place. I may be doing it all wrong and some of you might think it is crazy, but the balance i try to keep is 4QB,4RB,6WR,2TE,8OL,8DL,8LB,8DB,K,P.

One problem with that is when i get balanced, i do not use the red shirt as i should, i simply let the players develop and expose them their Jr year.
Those are my thoughts
You are limiting your 3 best rookies every season to a whole season worth of growth in attributes and formation iq. When playoff time comes, "your" best vs the opponents best is at big disadvantage if his players had been redshirted.
In games where your team is at advantage it does not matter.
But in playoff time your best probably won't be as good as "Their" best.
2/22/2018 3:51 AM
Posted by mojolad on 2/22/2018 3:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dmac1213 on 2/21/2018 3:29:00 PM (view original):

Those are my thoughts
You are limiting your 3 best rookies every season to a whole season worth of growth in attributes and formation iq. When playoff time comes, "your" best vs the opponents best is at big disadvantage if his players had been redshirted.
In games where your team is at advantage it does not matter.
But in playoff time your best probably won't be as good as "Their" best.
Thanks mojo, I knew I was doing something wrong and I now realize the concept of redshirting in this game. So I have been missing out on potential this entire time. What I got out of your post was I should redshirt my 3 best players in each recruiting class every season, regardless of position. I really want to get the most out of this game, so every little bit helps. If anybody has any pointers regarding redshirting (or any other pointers), please sitemail me.

dmac

Warner-Austin Peay
Leahy- William & Mary
Rockne- Lehigh
Stagg- Stonehill
2/22/2018 4:12 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.