Hi, I'm new to this game, but definitely not new to sports simming. This is my first recruiting class and I've read everything I could on it, but I am trying to recruit a QB. I have two of them that are green for me. Both have good potential, but the one I like better has an 8 in strength. He's the better recruit in every other way, but is the 8 strength going to be a permanent liability or can it be built up to a reasonable (thought still not good) level in a year or two? 8 just seems really low
2/18/2018 11:24 PM
Really, really low. A few seasons ago I took a punter with a 12 STR; I hoped his TEC would make up for it. It didn't, and I ended up cutting him after two seasons of short punts.
At higher divisions you could game plan around his weak arm, but at DIII you can't control pass depth as well as you can at higher divisions. He's gonna be throwing up lame ducks every game. I'd pass on him.
2/19/2018 4:35 AM
Posted by scrodz on 2/19/2018 4:35:00 AM (view original):
Really, really low. A few seasons ago I took a punter with a 12 STR; I hoped his TEC would make up for it. It didn't, and I ended up cutting him after two seasons of short punts.
At higher divisions you could game plan around his weak arm, but at DIII you can't control pass depth as well as you can at higher divisions. He's gonna be throwing up lame ducks every game. I'd pass on him.
Thanks, that's a really big help
2/19/2018 8:33 AM
One other question, does it matter if on a scouting potential, the AC calls a player a great prospect. I mean, I have two possible recruits and one is better than another from a ratings POV, but the AC calls the one with weaker ratings a Great prospect and I'd have to battle SIM to get him. The other guy is already willing to sign.
2/19/2018 9:28 AM
I wouldn't worry about the "great prospect" comment. Does he say anything about him having room to grow or improving his game a lot of the next four years?
2/19/2018 10:12 AM
Posted by GoldenHomer2 on 2/19/2018 10:13:00 AM (view original):
I wouldn't worry about the "great prospect" comment. Does he say anything about him having room to grow or improving his game a lot of the next four years?
Yes, but he says it for both players. If the Great doesn't mean anything, the other player is probably better.
2/19/2018 10:32 AM
Posted by cpspalding on 2/19/2018 9:28:00 AM (view original):
One other question, does it matter if on a scouting potential, the AC calls a player a great prospect. I mean, I have two possible recruits and one is better than another from a ratings POV, but the AC calls the one with weaker ratings a Great prospect and I'd have to battle SIM to get him. The other guy is already willing to sign.
The only line that matters that we know of for potential in the assistant coach scout is line 1. There are several posts that cover what each means if you do a search. The second line of the AC scout is directly related to the players Work Ethic rating.
2/19/2018 11:04 AM
Posted by dukelegend on 2/19/2018 11:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cpspalding on 2/19/2018 9:28:00 AM (view original):
The only line that matters that we know of for potential in the assistant coach scout is line 1. There are several posts that cover what each means if you do a search. The second line of the AC scout is directly related to the players Work Ethic rating.
Yes, I've seen the chart and have it bookmarked. These are the two scouting reports:

This guy is green:
I didn't get a typical scouting report from sending my coach. The player said, "I'm glad I could put on a good show for him. I'm sure that your guys took some good notes about my game, and recognized that upside is my middle name.
In case your guy missed it, here's a quick rundown....
I've had some pretty good coaching so far, so I think you'll find that my technique is pretty solid."

I sent the head coach to get a more normal report:
Above average potential.
Looks a little turned off by practice. (WE = 50)
Can he keep his ego in check?
He gets very jealous when other players are in the spotlight.
He seems to totally ignore the groupies that follow him around.
Emotional player -- a little bad tempered
He's not about making sacrifices for the team.
He's very careful about his diet and exercise.

This guy would cost me and require a fight with SIM

With your coaching, I think his game has a lot of room to grow.
He is an above average worker. I have no doubt you'll like this kid's effort, Coach.(WE=44)
He's like an extra coach on the field. Great game awareness.
Good delivery - mechanically sound.
He has good zip on the balls he throws.
How's the line look this year? We'll need a good one to protect him.
2/19/2018 11:38 AM
Both are "3" Potential recruits but regardless I would not take the 8 STR QB. If he were a "Sky is the limit" with a WE like that then maybe.
2/19/2018 1:04 PM
Posted by dukelegend on 2/19/2018 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Both are "3" Potential recruits but regardless I would not take the 8 STR QB. If he were a "Sky is the limit" with a WE like that then maybe.
Thanks, you talked me out of Mr. 8 Strength. Those are the two potential replacements.
2/19/2018 3:27 PM
BTW, thanks for all the help. Compared to other forums like Goal Line Blitz, the people here seem much friendlier and more helpful. I've read a lot, but it's still tough to know if I'm doing things right. This kind of feedback is priceless to people like me enjoying the game and sticking around.
2/19/2018 7:34 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.