LATEST STUPID RULE CHANGE BEING PONDERED BY MLB Topic

Posted by cccp1014 on 2/22/2018 8:01:00 PM (view original):
Baseball is the only sport where your best players may not be playing in the end to decide a game...interesting right?
Not necessarily true.
In hockey, the best players take longer shifts, but they still are off the ice a lot.
In basketball, teams remove poor FT shooters and poor Defenders all the time.
In football, a team's best players may be on Offense, yet they're playing Defense, or vice-versa.
In soccer, a more talented-starter may be removed for some fresh legs at the end of a game.
2/23/2018 10:36 AM
  • In Hockey if you're down by 1 with 30 seconds the team will pull the goalie and usually the best offensive players and on D the top 2 pair is on.
  • In hoops Lebron, Durant, Curry, Irving will be on the floor.
  • In Football if you're down the QB and his best offensive weapons will be on the field and your top defenders will as well.
  • In soccer, I don't know it as well but usually the best play.
In baseball its the luck of the draw in terms of pitching rotation and lineup circumstance.
2/23/2018 11:05 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 2/23/2018 11:05:00 AM (view original):
  • In Hockey if you're down by 1 with 30 seconds the team will pull the goalie and usually the best offensive players and on D the top 2 pair is on.
  • In hoops Lebron, Durant, Curry, Irving will be on the floor.
  • In Football if you're down the QB and his best offensive weapons will be on the field and your top defenders will as well.
  • In soccer, I don't know it as well but usually the best play.
In baseball its the luck of the draw in terms of pitching rotation and lineup circumstance.
Hockey... Depends on location of the puck and/or who has control. Also, those "best" players could be on the bench in the final 30 seconds as most teams try to tie the game before then.

Football... Those "best" players usually play the majority of the snaps so they would obviously be there with the chance for a lead change.

Would it be logical to allow the trailing team in hockey to keep their goalie in and still be allowed an extra skater? In football should the trailing team be allowed extra downs on offense? In golf should every trailing player be given a mulligan or 2 on the final hole?
IMO, if baseball teams were given the opportunity to adjust the lineup late in a game, it would be about the same as the dumb **** I listed above.
2/23/2018 11:31 AM
I am not arguing this. I am just saying its the only sport where your best players don't always play in late game situations. Nothing more.
2/23/2018 11:40 AM
It's totally different rules. Baseball uses a set lineup. Other sports don't. Even if baseball allowed players to re-enter games, you completely negate the purpose of a lineup if you allow a manager to choose who he wants up in the 9th.

Also, what if a team is up 2-1 going into the bottom of the 9th at Yankee Stadium? 7-9 are due up, but suddenly it's Judge, Stanton and Bird. Judge and Stanton go back to back, game over. The losing team never got a chance to stack their lineup in the final inning.

Baseball has reached a point of retardation where they're obsessed with changing for the sake of change. Manfred wants his stamp on the game so badly he's willing to entertain these stupid ideas.

If there's a fundamental problem with the game, absolutely, change it (like replay). But don't make changes just because you think the game is stale or some casual fans are bored.
2/23/2018 11:45 AM
Baseball isn't on the clock either. The same rules/standards don't apply to all sports.
2/23/2018 11:46 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Baseball isn't on the clock either. The same rules/standards don't apply to all sports.
Another valid point.
2/23/2018 11:53 AM
its a struggle between advertising minutes and entertainment minutes

who gets lost in the backwash is the live gate
2/24/2018 1:46 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 2/22/2018 7:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 2/22/2018 6:02:00 PM (view original):
Ha ha...I appreciate the candor. No I never heard that story.
they were actually cool guys. Do you remember Andre Tippett? We played hoops with him all the time.
I hit it with a woman that had been with Harold Shaw and Patrick Pass. According to her, they were pretty cool too.
2/24/2018 2:05 AM
Did she laugh at you?
2/24/2018 3:55 AM
◂ Prev 123
LATEST STUPID RULE CHANGE BEING PONDERED BY MLB Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.