Another Thread Gave Me An Idea Topic

What if Wis itself acted like an Ebay and allowed coaches to sell their teams for real money.
Wis could get a cut ; maybe 5% ? So more revenue for them.
I am not in favor of selling User ID because then you don't know who you are communicating with or playing against.
Right now , you know who Mojolad is, what his teams do and how he acts. But if user id was sold then you wouldn't even know it and you would be dealing with another Mojolad.
But to sell a good team that you developed to a young coach that doesn't want to wait - sounds like a win-win-win for young coach, selling coach and Wis.
2/22/2018 4:02 AM
two mojos my noggin sploded

in slomo
2/22/2018 4:11 AM
So it'd be just like Jim Harbaugh going out and buying Urban Meyer. Other coaches wouldn't even know until Meyer starts picking his nose on the sideline? In all honestly, I don't think I like the idea. Just seems like there could be some fraud - for example, a "selling" coach deleting gamelans or playbooks right before the sale. Or coaches buying coaches to manipulate recruiting (we need more that of that right). Regardless, would there be that big of a market for this? Sure, the acquiring coach may have a couple good seasons by riding the former coach's players, but success in this game still comes down to recruiting and game planning. If it did happen, I think WIS would need to make it apparent that a coach got bought --- like list the coach name as "mojodad coached by pwiest" or something like that.
2/22/2018 7:49 AM
I just had the beginnings of an idea. It wasn't fleshed out.
But I am against selling your Username. Just the team. They could transfer the use of the team that you bought to your username.
Reason I don't want to sell usernames is because I want to know who I'm dealing with or playing against when I deal with Pwiest(or whomever).
Anyhow, I just put the idea out to see what others thought.
I don't really care if it never gets done. But if it did I could see making a sideline out of it and growing more teams until : "Voila" ! I'd be playing my own team(run and now owned by somebody else of course) for the NC" :)
2/22/2018 8:46 AM
It would lend itself to another revenue stream for WIS, it would allow younger players to “buy their way in”, it might promote established coaches a reason “to sell and start over” which opens up premiere programs, and it might work. But, I don’t like it because I believe half of the fun is the journey. Money typically rules the day though....
2/22/2018 8:54 AM
Might work with a pay to win format for new and established ID's and a spend "credits" option with established ID. WIS would need a system where it rewrite the ownership. Same rules for owning a team ( 1000 miles... or not in same world / division) OK to maintain roster but new coach would inherit no play books, formations, or practice plans... perhaps a reputation penalty ( maybe half a letter...) they could have a forum to track and announce sales and available teams. I believe the basic how to does exist ... teams have "lost" ownership here in the past I think. Plus we would see less teams fall as owners abandon them to move on to wherever. Would assist new / developing coaches move up. ( say from 3 to AA... ) but would still rely on coaching , less formation drops too. Could also make these teams available only during new owner sign up period.

2/22/2018 10:52 AM
I've seen TV specials where this type of monetization has been done in RPGs like Warcraft. WIS has removed all incentive by it's complete lack of meaningful prizes. You win a National Championship and you are rewarded enough points to almost get 1 more free season of GD.
2/24/2018 3:30 PM (edited)
I applaud the creativity but not a fan of this idea.

To me, it’s kinda like getting rich quick schemes. Everyone wants the big payout without putting in the work. More power to people who identify the Google or Amazon before it hits big and reap the rewards, but success for most comes through hard work.

First, I don’t like the idea of a coach inheriting the playbooks from the previous coach. Would I like to know the secret sauce in the playbooks that makes elite guys like McBethbr, Awags, Pete61 successful? Darn right - but I’d rather figure it out myself, versus taking the easy way.

Second, you would have inexperienced coaches taking these jobs, getting fired and then just buying the next team. They would accomplish nothing, and would get frustrated fast when they didn’t achieve the level of success that is expected at that level.

Bottom line is that I believe there is more fun in learning this game, digging into pbp, testing things out and experimenting. When NCs come as a result of this process, it makes them all the more fulfilling.
2/24/2018 3:41 PM
Posted by chetty1963 on 2/24/2018 3:41:00 PM (view original):
I applaud the creativity but not a fan of this idea.

To me, it’s kinda like getting rich quick schemes. Everyone wants the big payout without putting in the work. More power to people who identify the Google or Amazon before it hits big and reap the rewards, but success for most comes through hard work.

First, I don’t like the idea of a coach inheriting the playbooks from the previous coach. Would I like to know the secret sauce in the playbooks that makes elite guys like McBethbr, Awags, Pete61 successful? Darn right - but I’d rather figure it out myself, versus taking the easy way.

Second, you would have inexperienced coaches taking these jobs, getting fired and then just buying the next team. They would accomplish nothing, and would get frustrated fast when they didn’t achieve the level of success that is expected at that level.

Bottom line is that I believe there is more fun in learning this game, digging into pbp, testing things out and experimenting. When NCs come as a result of this process, it makes them all the more fulfilling.
I am all about that last statement. Cheers to chetty!

Of course, the rich kids would burn out quickly and leave established programs in their wake for others....
2/24/2018 3:48 PM
It might bring back some old coaches that left when they actually had to pay to play the game. Hell, some of them were even making a killing in Amazon gift cards...
2/24/2018 4:48 PM
Sweet motherofgod, isn't there enough cheating with multiple accounts already?
2/25/2018 12:50 AM
I suspect that chetty would have an attitude similar to mine. I like to play this game and take some pride in my results. If you have to cheat to beat me, then you haven't won anything or proved anything. Personally, I don't worry too much about it.
2/25/2018 7:00 PM
Another Thread Gave Me An Idea Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.