Newbie needs help Topic

I played WhatIfSports 10 years ago and
got tired of seeing the same players being used repeatedly to crush me. Can someone recommend a league that’s not overly complicated for a newbie who doesn’t know who all of the stud players are?
2/22/2018 9:48 AM
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=460581

Here's a "Help for Beginners" forum that may be helpful
2/22/2018 10:24 AM
Besides all that's written here, here's some
good advice 2 get UR feet wet, once again...

King-Of-The-Hill here is named "chuckinrlp"...
He's amassed almost 200 Cup titles, -bulk of
them right here @ the What-if-NHL arena...

Sincerely & seriously, he is the single best
resource here to learn this good game...

We currently have a Tribute League set-up
for him, as he achieves another milestone...

The salary cap is $145 million... Room for
a lot of creativity, w/much better players...

It's advertised here in "Classified Forums"
w/other great owners, who can definitely
mentor & help U to learn the finer aspects
of playing here (@ all salary cap levels), &
lead U into a more satisfying experience...

U have an invite... Please check it out, -as
it truly is the BEST way 2 find what U seek.
2/22/2018 2:24 PM
Is there somewhere I can find a list of the the WIS glitch players that I keep hearing about (ie Warren Young)? I don’t really have an interest in players I don’t like but if I can add a guy who will help me
ve competitive that I actually like, that would be great!
2/23/2018 7:08 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Maybe its an age issue. I kept getting crushed by players I have never heard of (ie Willie young). I have no issue using the glitch players to help me win as long as I actually know who they are. Or better yet, actually like. After all, the idea of drafting a team full of players that I like is what drew me hear to begin with. @edsortails, Thank you for your thoughtful response.
2/23/2018 10:03 PM
Glitch skaters, huh ???... Actually, this has been a
silent site, since 2000... I've never heard anything.

Did U also "hear" about cheat codes, too ???... &,
anything else that would keep U away from that
1 owner here, who has almost 200 Cup Titles ?

Have been here since late 2000, -&-, I've never
heard or read of glitch players... But, U have it
it your way... Hope U find what U seek...
2/23/2018 10:25 PM
Posted by kenner15 on 2/23/2018 10:03:00 PM (view original):
Maybe its an age issue. I kept getting crushed by players I have never heard of (ie Willie young). I have no issue using the glitch players to help me win as long as I actually know who they are. Or better yet, actually like. After all, the idea of drafting a team full of players that I like is what drew me hear to begin with. @edsortails, Thank you for your thoughtful response.
Here's what I've learned:

-Superstar roster doesn't work. Need a good mix. You only really need two.
-Look for a combination of high defensive rating and shot percentage for your lesser-star players. Draft at least four.
-Draft another couple of really strong defensive forwards, preferably centers with good FO numbers. These are your go-to PK guys.
-Superstar goalies are usually duds.
-Draft AT LEAST four defensemen in the 90% range. Again, think special teams.
-Offensive defensemen are, at best, more trouble than they're worth.

Hope this helps.

Please stick with it. The more full-seasons you play, the better it gets. Exhibition really doesn't do the SIM justice. You need more than 50mil to really get into it.
2/23/2018 10:26 PM
Posted by kenner15 on 2/23/2018 7:08:00 AM (view original):
Is there somewhere I can find a list of the the WIS glitch players that I keep hearing about (ie Warren Young)? I don’t really have an interest in players I don’t like but if I can add a guy who will help me
ve competitive that I actually like, that would be great!
Warren Young goes good in the 50m leagues. Use him with a low shot assister. The two favorites are Jeffrey D 65 and I use the cheap Janney on the opposite wing.

Take a peek at my $95m league.. (advertised here) . I also have a 200m league that is filling. Just one rule, you can't clone Wayne or Bobby Orr. You might do better to try another one, though,, because that one will have tons of 'cookie cutter' players. Bossy, Kurri, and most will come in with a defence with almost all 97 rate d men.

Good ones for a 100m sim: Gilmour, Janney (d 75 rate), Oates. I like Anderson 54g for a winger. Also Hadfield with his 50g season.. Goulet is another favorite and Luc Robitaille is seen here a lot.. Higher D rated guys who score are Bossy, Middleton and I use Rick Martin a lot, at his d 90 rate with 45 goals. Don't go too nuts in goal. 100m sim: Starter maybe 4.5 mill. 2 backups at 1.1m and 350g

i don't think the faceoff numbers in the draft table mean a thing.. One reason is they don't affect the $$.

Ideally here is a line that will work:

Goulet D 69. over 22% shooting. 57g and 48 assists and about 240 shots

Janney D 75 26g and If I remember right, 66 assists. almost 20% and he takes only about 125 shots, giving Goulet the lion's share of the shots

RW Finnigan d 95. 2 goals all games played. About one shot per game

That line is about 17 million.

Anyhow, that's my model..

Sleepers for me in a 50m league are Lukowich at just $1.7 mill. Greg Malone at $256,000. He is a super sub if you go with Bosschman $165,000 and 17g and 42 a and Boschman kills it. High pim though. RW can be Langlois d 83.

Another one I like a lot more than Warren Young is the 37 goals Corrigan at about 3 m. He often out scores Vaive, Nolan, Stoughton, and is imo a sim sleeper because you seldom see him. Try him with the cheap Lecavalier. or 1.1m Janney. Lecav' also goes well with Lukowich

2/24/2018 12:50 AM (edited)
I once used Risebrough D 89 and his numbers are deceiving. 22 plus 38 assists.Ttakes about 120 shots. BUT.. I stuck him with the D 93 Steve Shutt 49 goals, and they went NUTS.. RW if I remember was Pelleren d 81 low shots decent D rate with the other two you have a good d average already. pelerin is $2.8m though.
2/24/2018 12:54 AM
Posted by lionized on 2/23/2018 10:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kenner15 on 2/23/2018 10:03:00 PM (view original):
Here's what I've learned:

-Superstar roster doesn't work. Need a good mix. You only really need two.
-Look for a combination of high defensive rating and shot percentage for your lesser-star players. Draft at least four.
-Draft another couple of really strong defensive forwards, preferably centers with good FO numbers. These are your go-to PK guys.
-Superstar goalies are usually duds.
-Draft AT LEAST four defensemen in the 90% range. Again, think special teams.
-Offensive defensemen are, at best, more trouble than they're worth.

Hope this helps.

Please stick with it. The more full-seasons you play, the better it gets. Exhibition really doesn't do the SIM justice. You need more than 50mil to really get into it.
Bingo. In a 100m sim Doug Harvey D 96 is a gem. Daneyko at 95 is good. but take a D man with s few points. Good are Faulk, who is priced at 2.5m and should be about 5.5m. Another GLICH player is Byfuglien at $4.2m. He plays every game and players with his numbers are often around $6.5 million. Another Glich is Doughty at just $5.1 million, He compares to players who are almost 3 million more. Eg Serge Savard. Another GLICH player is Letang at about $5.1 million. He might be inj for 2 games but he is a sim steal. numbers are typical of players who are at least 2.5 million more.

Warren Young is a GLICH player, because he scores more than any other winger in sim who is under $4 million. He is rated a D 7.. but plays way above that

That Should help you. Other 'glich' players are Klingberg at his D 74 and D 87 rates. Another is Shane Gostisbehere and a paltry $1.4 million.. I have used him in even a 100m league and he has never hurt me, He DOES give me 3 mill to spend elsewhere. More gliches are Jake Muzzin at about $4.3m, and Hamilton at just $3.8 million. He is a d 83 and has points you would expect from a $5.5 million player, Same with Muzzin

If you are in a big cap league and want a high scoring D who is a good d rate, Hedberg is a D 90 with 16g and 56 assists. He is $5.8 million. and is worth about $8.8 to 9 mill. Sim has done this under pricing with about 20 defencemen.

have fun and good luck
2/24/2018 1:05 AM
Sakic 19's info is good, except for Glich thing. Could be just a definition issue. Jakyll is great for information, He is also frightnite. he will help you if you have Q and Chuck takes pleasure in helping the newbies, and so do I. Site mail me, or Aldershot (also me) and ask whatever you want. I can't guarantee prefection, but most of the guys who have been here a few years can help you
2/24/2018 1:11 AM
I see you did good in your regular season, but like myself.. you struggled in the post season. Since I started working with the settings (Checking, conservative) and combinations, I have won a cup and done much better. Chuck's biggest strength is his ability to figure out what your lines are set at and then he knows how to adjust for them. He will beat you 9 out of ten times if he knows your settings. He also drafts better than anyone else here.. although a dozen guys are very close
2/24/2018 1:15 AM
Is there a limit to the number of leagues you can play with the $10 subscription?
2/25/2018 6:46 AM
Posted by kenner15 on 2/25/2018 6:46:00 AM (view original):
Is there a limit to the number of leagues you can play with the $10 subscription?
For that you get one full season team but unlimited exhibition.
2/25/2018 8:46 AM
12 Next ▸
Newbie needs help Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.