Assuming equal ratings

High potential with a mid 30s WE or low potential with a mid 60s WE
2/22/2018 4:10 PM
Many coaches have this same issue. For me:

1. I always think of potential as the size of the bucket and WE as how quickly the bucket fills up.

2. I tend to like a bigger bucket vs. a quicker fill (potential over WE).

3. In my experience, WE 33 or below move VERY slow...so the bucket may never get full so to speak.

4. A RS season or high playing time would impact my decision.

Assuming all factors equal which means I will not assume a RS or tons of playing time for a FR, I would take 60 WE.

Long, but hopefully the explanation helps.

nitros (James)

2/22/2018 4:44 PM
You may not like my answer. But - Neither. Go find a better recruit.
2/22/2018 5:38 PM
Good info, thanks nitros and mojo.
2/22/2018 11:11 PM
Posted by mjacques on 2/22/2018 4:10:00 PM (view original):
Assuming equal ratings

High potential with a mid 30s WE or low potential with a mid 60s WE
first, I want to make sure we are on the same page on the “low” potential mid 60s Guy. Is he “tapped out/won’t improve much during his time here” or “he’s made good strides/average potential”? Because I value these very differently.

If the mid 60s WE guy has “tapped out”, then I’d pick the mid 30s WE guy no doubt. I think I’ve only signed 1 tapped out player and it was Bc he was by far the best DL in the country, and he came in as a true freshman high level contributor and then became a starter his SO year and held on to that position even though he didn’t grow. But getting tons of minutes and starts for 4 years did boost his WE though he still didn’t improve much at all.

If the mid 60s WE guy has average potential, then I think it would be very close in the long run. Like nitros said, it’s dependent on the situation and when you need him to be a starter.

Id probably go with the mid 30s high potential guy. Normally (when I’m not overloaded with work/family) I can get 25-30 starts out of a Guy by end of his sophomore year. That will give him a nice boost in WE to combine with his high potential.
2/23/2018 2:18 AM (edited)
Posted by mojolad on 2/22/2018 5:38:00 PM (view original):
You may not like my answer. But - Neither. Go find a better recruit.
+1
2/23/2018 9:38 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.