Beginning of the End Topic

I don't think the NCAA is checking this board for suggestions. I could be wrong.
2/25/2018 3:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/25/2018 3:15:00 PM (view original):
I don't think the NCAA is checking this board for suggestions. I could be wrong.
They aren’t. But there are a lot of people in national positions arguing for allowing payments to players.

No one is arguing for completely changing schools into basketball only institutions. It’s a dumb idea.
2/25/2018 3:17 PM
It's not "basketball only" schools. I was simply suggesting a different "class" at colleges. If you're going to pay players, let's not pretend it's "student/athlete" any longer. They are learning a trade. Let them dedicate every moment they're willing to invest into learning that trade.

Popular opinion isn't always right. You know that.
2/25/2018 3:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/25/2018 3:24:00 PM (view original):
It's not "basketball only" schools. I was simply suggesting a different "class" at colleges. If you're going to pay players, let's not pretend it's "student/athlete" any longer. They are learning a trade. Let them dedicate every moment they're willing to invest into learning that trade.

What if I’m going to school to be an accountant and an accounting firm hires me while I’m still in school?

Should I have to take accounting only classes because I’m now being paid?
2/25/2018 6:17 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/25/2018 6:17:00 PM (view original):

What if I’m going to school to be an accountant and an accounting firm hires me while I’m still in school?

The difference is that athletes aren’t required to have degrees. Accountants are definitely required to have degrees.
2/25/2018 6:42 PM
It's a very rare day when I find myself on the same side of an argument with BL. It makes me take pause to ponder what I'm missing.

Which means that it's going to be especially fascinating to watch BL start to step on his own dick while arguing with Mike from this side of the argument.
2/25/2018 8:53 PM

Huh? Are you getting paid by the sports department?

My suggestion was that, if a kid wanted to get paid AND attend classes, he could pay for them like everyone else.
2/26/2018 8:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/26/2018 8:05:00 AM (view original):

Huh? Are you getting paid by the sports department?

My suggestion was that, if a kid wanted to get paid AND attend classes, he could pay for them like everyone else.
Well it’s kind of two different issues, right?

The current problems aren’t from schools paying players. It’s from players taking loans from agents on the promise that the players will let the agents rep them once they go pro.

On the issue of whether or not players can get paid directly by schools, I don’t see why an entirely new system needs to be constructed. Students work for their schools for a paycheck all the time. It’s not difficult.
2/26/2018 3:33 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10
Beginning of the End Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.