Beginning of the End Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 4:42:00 PM (view original):
You do understand why what you suggest is a problem, right?

Bobby Big Booster at Kentucky will pay kids 1 million for their first game worn jersey. What school do you think they will attend?
Right, what will college hoops look like if Kentucky or Duke starts to get all the best players... great question that we'll never know the answer to.
2/23/2018 4:50 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 2/23/2018 4:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Slippery slope. Dinner becomes a night out on the town. Night out on the town becomes an awesome crib. Awesome crib becomes a sports car. Sort of like a booster giving a kid a job that requires him to punch in, or be punched in, then go about his business.
Sounds like the ridiculous argument about how smoking pot leads to shooting up heroin. It's a convenient argument for people to use when they don't want to give an inch on certain issues. In this case, NCAA pigs making billions, not wanting to pay the players (oops, student athletes) who make the schools money.

Basically people are free-market fans at all costs, until those people have to fork over their spoils.
Come off it dude. If the players don't want the exposure and free education that comes with playing NCAA basketball, absolutely nobody is forcing them to.
2/23/2018 4:51 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 2/23/2018 4:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Slippery slope. Dinner becomes a night out on the town. Night out on the town becomes an awesome crib. Awesome crib becomes a sports car. Sort of like a booster giving a kid a job that requires him to punch in, or be punched in, then go about his business.
Sounds like the ridiculous argument about how smoking pot leads to shooting up heroin. It's a convenient argument for people to use when they don't want to give an inch on certain issues. In this case, NCAA pigs making billions, not wanting to pay the players (oops, student athletes) who make the schools money.

Basically people are free-market fans at all costs, until those people have to fork over their spoils.
Sounds like someone who has never smoked pot.
2/23/2018 4:52 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 2/23/2018 4:51:00 PM (view original):

Bobby Big Booster at Kentucky will pay kids 1 million for their first game worn jersey. What school do you think they will attend?
Right, what will college hoops look like if Kentucky or Duke starts to get all the best players... great question that we'll never know the answer to.
Exactly what I was gonna say. Those teams already get those elite players. No difference.
2/23/2018 4:53 PM
Anyway, I think Lavar Ball(of all people) has the right idea.

Start a league of guys who will be one and done(or aspire to be). Pay them. Provide them training, instruction, coaching, room and board. Play a 30-40 game season. All he needs is a television contract and the "problem" is solved. If you're good enough, you're going to get paid for that 1 year wait. And you don't have to deal with the pretense of "student/athlete".
2/23/2018 4:55 PM
Posted by Benis on 2/23/2018 4:53:00 PM (view original):

Exactly what I was gonna say. Those teams already get those elite players. No difference.
Well, both of your sort of miss the point. It just becomes a bidding process. Which just becomes professional ball. If that's what we want, do away with any required school. Just create basketball players. Which will suck for all but 1-2 players on every team. Because everyone doesn't move on to NBA millions.
2/23/2018 4:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 4:58:00 PM (view original):

Well, both of your sort of miss the point. It just becomes a bidding process. Which just becomes professional ball. If that's what we want, do away with any required school. Just create basketball players. Which will suck for all but 1-2 players on every team. Because everyone doesn't move on to NBA millions.
You missed the point that its already a bidding process.
2/23/2018 5:01 PM
Posted by Benis on 2/23/2018 5:01:00 PM (view original):

Well, yeah, except it isn't. Unless it's just prestige of school/coach that are the chips. Or maybe education. Prettiest girls. Nice weather. Whatever but it's not money. When it's money, it's professional basketball. We call it the "NBA".
2/23/2018 5:04 PM
I skimmed through all the posts and maybe someone already mentioned this:

If a player took money from an agent or from a school to go to that specific school, and then goes elsewhere, it is possible that a school that did nothing illegal will be punished because they played an ineligible player.

As an example, let's say Miles Bridges took $20,000 from an agent to steer him towards Kentucky. But he instead goes to Michigan State. Michigan State could forfeit all the games Bridges played in, even though there wasn't any inappropriate recruiting done by MSU.
2/23/2018 5:07 PM
The problem is not that the blue bloods were already getting the best players, or even "bidding" on the best players. Somebody (Louisville?) decided they needed an EXTRA advantage in getting more than 1 or 2 or 3 of the best players. Then the other schools needed to increase their bids just to keep getting the best players they had previously been getting.

Kind of sounds like D1 HD 2.0.
2/23/2018 5:15 PM
Let’s embrace the news. AP = $100 bills. A recruiting budget is actual cash payments to players. WIS could be ahead of the curve.
2/23/2018 5:18 PM
In that case, I just paid a recruit over 100k to come to West Conn St. SOB better be a stud for that kind of dough.
2/23/2018 5:22 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 2/23/2018 5:07:00 PM (view original):
I skimmed through all the posts and maybe someone already mentioned this:

If a player took money from an agent or from a school to go to that specific school, and then goes elsewhere, it is possible that a school that did nothing illegal will be punished because they played an ineligible player.

As an example, let's say Miles Bridges took $20,000 from an agent to steer him towards Kentucky. But he instead goes to Michigan State. Michigan State could forfeit all the games Bridges played in, even though there wasn't any inappropriate recruiting done by MSU.
I'm not even sure the agents are steering players to specific schools, based on the yahoo article that was published this morning. Looks more like they're loaning them $$/taking them out to dinner in the hopes that they'll sign with the agency once they go pro. As much as I'd love to see Duke/UNC/Sparty get the death penalty (I'm a UVA fan), I'm not sure why this is the school's fault at all.

And as others have said, the only reason this is happening is because the NCAA (in cahoots with the universities) is depressing the labor market. These guys have tremendously marketable skills -- someone is going to find a way to pay them. It really ought to be the schools -- the ones who profit the most off of them.
2/23/2018 5:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 4:55:00 PM (view original):
Anyway, I think Lavar Ball(of all people) has the right idea.

Start a league of guys who will be one and done(or aspire to be). Pay them. Provide them training, instruction, coaching, room and board. Play a 30-40 game season. All he needs is a television contract and the "problem" is solved. If you're good enough, you're going to get paid for that 1 year wait. And you don't have to deal with the pretense of "student/athlete".
I like that. Do we have enough money Mike? Let's get our eight teams league out but we need more than one and done
2/23/2018 6:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 2/23/2018 5:01:00 PM (view original):

Well, yeah, except it isn't. Unless it's just prestige of school/coach that are the chips. Or maybe education. Prettiest girls. Nice weather. Whatever but it's not money. When it's money, it's professional basketball. We call it the "NBA".
Sure its money, just indirectly.

Come to Duke and I'll get you in the NBA where you can make millions. That's why players go those schools, to get to next level and make $$$
2/23/2018 6:12 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...10 Next ▸
Beginning of the End Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.