Beginning of the End Topic

Posted by Benis on 2/23/2018 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 12:45:00 PM (view original):
Your standards of acceptable don't apply to everyone.

"I average a double/double and get a steak on Friday. Billy is shooting 36% and can't rebound for ****. He's driving around in a new car. WTF?"
I know. That's why I said this-

"People have different lines they're willing to cross. Usually due to self justification of what is acceptable."
You made like 9 consecutive posts. You can't expect anyone to read all of them.

So, if you understand that your standards don't apply to everyone, then surely you can understand how an illegal free steak dinner can turn into a new sports car, right?
2/23/2018 1:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 2/23/2018 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 12:45:00 PM (view original):
Your standards of acceptable don't apply to everyone.

"I average a double/double and get a steak on Friday. Billy is shooting 36% and can't rebound for ****. He's driving around in a new car. WTF?"
I know. That's why I said this-

"People have different lines they're willing to cross. Usually due to self justification of what is acceptable."
You made like 9 consecutive posts. You can't expect anyone to read all of them.

So, if you understand that your standards don't apply to everyone, then surely you can understand how an illegal free steak dinner can turn into a new sports car, right?
That was a standalone post and not adjacent to any of the other posts.

You post 10 times in a row all the time.
2/23/2018 1:45 PM
Ok, I didn't read it. Smother me in honey then dip me in an ant pile.

Not in a matter of seconds I don't..
2/23/2018 1:49 PM
Well I posted 3 in a row in about 1 minute. Its a neat trick you taught me. If that was one giant post then it would have been WAY too long to read.

And yeah you've posted 3 in a row in a minute before.

but back to basketball... wow! This **** is bananas!
2/23/2018 2:04 PM
I'm not sure your contributions outweigh your distractions. How about we create a MikeT/benis ******* thread, and you guys post there when you want to hijack a thread ... ok? Deal?
2/23/2018 2:16 PM
"I'm not sure your contributions outweigh your distractions"

I'm sure they don't.

As a basketball fan, I find all of this stuff fascinating though. I think nothing is really going to happen for quite awhile though and there won't be any suspensions this season. I do think we're looking at recruiting penalties and possibly vacated wins (like anyone really cares about that). I do think the head coaches are probably going to get off pretty easy and the Asst coaches are going to get hit hard - like they already have.
2/23/2018 2:41 PM
I am curious what the punishment will be. From what I can tell the following schools are all involved. NC State, Seton Hall, Washington, South Carolina, Louisville, Utah, Xavier, Wichita St, Clemson, Alabama, Maryland, Michigan St, Kentucky, Duke, LSU, Indiana, Kansas, Texas, USC, Syracuse, and North Carolina.

Teams with current players named
-Duke Carter Jr.
-Michigan St Bridges
-Kentucky Knox
-Alabama Sexton
-South Carolina Bowen
-Texas Davis Jr.
-USC Boatwright
2/23/2018 2:45 PM
Posted by jt2xTTU on 2/23/2018 2:16:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure your contributions outweigh your distractions. How about we create a MikeT/benis ******* thread, and you guys post there when you want to hijack a thread ... ok? Deal?
You think this was on topic? Or helped? Think about it.
2/23/2018 2:53 PM
Posted by jmfisc06 on 2/23/2018 2:45:00 PM (view original):
I am curious what the punishment will be. From what I can tell the following schools are all involved. NC State, Seton Hall, Washington, South Carolina, Louisville, Utah, Xavier, Wichita St, Clemson, Alabama, Maryland, Michigan St, Kentucky, Duke, LSU, Indiana, Kansas, Texas, USC, Syracuse, and North Carolina.

-Duke Carter Jr.
-Michigan St Bridges
-Kentucky Knox
-Alabama Sexton
-South Carolina Bowen
-Texas Davis Jr.
-USC Boatwright
Syracuse??? Where'd you hear that?
2/23/2018 3:09 PM
Posted by jmfisc06 on 2/23/2018 2:45:00 PM (view original):

-Duke Carter Jr.
-Michigan St Bridges
-Kentucky Knox
-Alabama Sexton
-South Carolina Bowen
-Texas Davis Jr.
-USC Boatwright
Punishment will be dictated by popular opinion.
2/23/2018 3:11 PM
As a fan of a traditional have-not I am all in favor of the haves getting slammed. However, before that happens, CBS will pay the money and sale the commercials, the NCAA will cash the checks, and fans will buy the tickets. Then 3-4 seasons from now we will learn the 2018 championship was vacated. Kind of reminds of the end of the movie Quiz Show, a few years later everyone will be back in the sport.
2/23/2018 3:16 PM
I, on the contrary, think they need to act quick and punish teams accordingly.
2/23/2018 3:31 PM
Posted by mullycj on 2/23/2018 10:29:00 AM (view original):
The "funny" part is no one ever mentions the value of a free scholarship for these players. How many of them would not have even gotten into these universities without that full ride. Since a small % of them actual make a living playing in the NBA, a four year degree (if they actually go to class) may be the most valuable thing they could possess.
"... no one ever mentions the value of a free scholarship for these players..."

Actually this is mentioned by everyone who opposes paying players.

The NCAA makes billions upon billions upon billions of dollars, just in the March Madness TV contract. On top of that, concessions, parking, seasons tickets, luxury boxes, TV contracts per conference, etc, the money is insane. Hey, but oooh, don't buy that player a mac-and-cheese. To me, a college player should be allowed to sell jerseys and make money in ads for Dunkin Donuts or Sal's Big & Tall Shop.

They should be allowed to put their name in the draft, but then return to college if they're dissatisfied with the pick (like in college hockey). Also, the players live with the risk of getting their scholarship pulled year-to-year, in which case they lose that valuable college degree.

2/23/2018 4:37 PM
You do understand why what you suggest is a problem, right?

Bobby Big Booster at Kentucky will pay kids 1 million for their first game worn jersey. What school do you think they will attend?
2/23/2018 4:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2018 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Slippery slope. Dinner becomes a night out on the town. Night out on the town becomes an awesome crib. Awesome crib becomes a sports car. Sort of like a booster giving a kid a job that requires him to punch in, or be punched in, then go about his business.
Sounds like the ridiculous argument about how smoking pot leads to shooting up heroin. It's a convenient argument for people to use when they don't want to give an inch on certain issues. In this case, NCAA pigs making billions, not wanting to pay the players (oops, student athletes) who make the schools money.

Basically people are free-market fans at all costs, until those people have to fork over their spoils.
2/23/2018 4:45 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...10 Next ▸
Beginning of the End Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.