Beginning of the End Topic

Jay Bilas and others aren't committing any infractions but they realize the system in place sucks.
2/24/2018 3:25 PM
Posted by Benis on 2/24/2018 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/24/2018 3:19:00 PM (view original):
Nah, you're just being naive. Of course the guys committing the infractions are going to say "They're not so bad" or "We should pay these guys". WTF else would they say?
What are you talking about? I gave one link to some coaches.

The other two were from reporters/beat writers. They're not paying anyone.

Its basically what all the analysts and talking heads are saying. The dinners are not a huge deal. Paying 10 grand is a HUGE deal.
I don't click your links. They support the position of "Some violations aren't so bad". There are rules. It's either within the rules or a violation. When it's OK to buy dinners for prospect's parents, get back to me.
2/24/2018 3:36 PM
Posted by Benis on 2/24/2018 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Jay Bilas and others aren't committing any infractions but they realize the system in place sucks.
So change the system. Until that happens violations are violations.
2/24/2018 3:37 PM
I used to be all about the "student" part of student/athlete", but gradually have done a complete 180 on the complete hypocrisy of the NCAA and the stupidity of its rules.

What prompted this was reading a story a number of years ago about some college athlete, believe he was a D1 football player. His picture or likeness was actually featured on the cover of some video game for PlayStation or XBox, one of those. But the game was expensive for a college kid from a poor family, and he couldn't afford to buy it. And NCAA rules prohibited the company that made the game from giving him a copy, and it also prevented almost everybody else from giving him a copy of the game. The only way he could get a copy was if he bought it, and he couldn't afford it. And his freakin' picture was on the cover.

Since then, I've paid closer attention to the fact that NCAA D1 sports, particularly football and basketball, rake in billions of dollars. Top coaches make millions of dollars. Yet the kids who are the actual product that generate all the money, are not allowed to have anybody buy them so much as a hamburger.

The overall hypocrisy and stupidity is beyond mind-boggling.
2/24/2018 8:23 PM (edited)
Ed O'Bannon and he just wrote a book on his battle with the NCAA. EA Sports no longer makes college video games.

Anyway, if you want to change the system, change the system. But, until that's done, violations are violations. I'm not interested in how one "isn't so bad". It's legal to get your smoke on in several states. Marijuana is not legal in my state. Therefore, I will not burn one in front of the police station and say "It's legal in Colorado!!! What's your problem???" when I'm arrested.

Full disclosure: I haven't smoked pot in 30 years but it was required for my example.
2/25/2018 5:46 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/25/2018 5:46:00 AM (view original):
Ed O'Bannon and he just wrote a book on his battle with the NCAA. EA Sports no longer makes college video games.

Anyway, if you want to change the system, change the system. But, until that's done, violations are violations. I'm not interested in how one "isn't so bad". It's legal to get your smoke on in several states. Marijuana is not legal in my state. Therefore, I will not burn one in front of the police station and say "It's legal in Colorado!!! What's your problem???" when I'm arrested.

Full disclosure: I haven't smoked pot in 30 years but it was required for my example.
Your 97-year-old great-uncle Cyrus has a clam in his mouth, and spits on a sidewalk in Tulsa, where it's illegal.
Your crazy crackpot neighbor Orenthal takes a machete and hacks a couple of people to death.

Obviously Cyrus and Orenthal are equally bad, because they both broke the law.
And soon Cyrus will travel down the Slippery Slope Express from spitting, to shooting up heroin.

Several pages ago, you gave an example of poor morality:
You chose Clinton getting fellated by a consenting adult.

But you bypassed the more recent example of Bush starting a war in Iraq by lying about WMD's.
To you, getting a blowjob is equal to starting a war based on lies.

So to you:
meal = handing out $20,000 in cash.
spitting = hacking two people with a machete.
fellatio = starting a war based on lies.
2/25/2018 8:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/25/2018 5:46:00 AM (view original):

I agree. Rules are rules and you need to follow them.

But still, many of the rules are incredibly dumb.

I'd love to see all D1 college coaches, as an example, pick a week where they all agree to have a "Take your players out to dinner" night on some off day during the week, just to make a point. Force the NCAA to have to face and address the blatant stupidity of one of their own rules.

It would probably never happen, but it would be fun if it did.
2/25/2018 8:15 AM
Are you equating college violations to war/death? You should STFU before you embarrass yourself even further.

Edit: Directed at npb's dumbass example.
2/25/2018 8:17 AM
Mike : you are edgy.
2/25/2018 8:26 AM
No, it looks like he's equating getting a BJ to war.
2/25/2018 8:26 AM
BJ's can be violent in the wrong hands (or mouth).
2/25/2018 8:28 AM
I'm not sure "edgy" is right. Practical is more appropriate.

College recruiting violations are about on par with Slick Willie's sexual activity. Hacking people to death or starting a war isn't. It's just blatantly stupid to make such an equation.
2/25/2018 8:29 AM
Oh ho!
2/25/2018 8:30 AM
So Mike, what would you say is an appropriate penalty for players who got a free meal from an Agent?

What about someone who got 10 grand?

What about 100 grand?

All the same penalty? Which should be on the player and which should be on the coach/school?
2/25/2018 8:32 AM
If the NCAA wants players/schools/coaches to abide by their rules, some of which I agree are dumb as ****, a year's suspension. Player and coach. Fine the school 250k.

They won't because that will affect their bottom line. All of the governing bodies of sports seem to declare punishment for rules violations willy-nilly or, more likely, based on public opinion.
2/25/2018 8:37 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Beginning of the End Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.