Posted by cubcub113 on 3/1/2018 11:52:00 AM (view original):
Poached this guy from a DIII. Should get to 920 range. Pretty damn good DI but I cant imagine him DIII. https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/RatingsHistory.aspx?tid=5995&pid=3849459
I hate the word “poached” in this context. Poaching is illegal, and implies that you did something wrong. There is no “territory” in HD, everyone is fair game, but if anything, the D3 trying to land a high potential D1 recruit was the “poacher” in more colloquial terms, hunting on land where he didn’t belong.
3/1/2018 2:07 PM
Do tell. Why didn't he "belong" on that land? Seems to me that there are no boundaries within recruiting.
3/1/2018 2:13 PM
I stink at this game, but was proud to recruit this guy. He was awesome. I left before his senior season, though...

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3755132
3/1/2018 2:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/1/2018 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Do tell. Why didn't he "belong" on that land? Seems to me that there are no boundaries within recruiting.
That’s my point. Using “poaching” colloquially, rather than legally, you can make a much stronger case that cubbie was more “in his proper territory” than he was walking into someone else’s territory and trying to land a big one.

But in any case, it’s a dumb term to apply to HD recruiting. No one owns territory, and no recruit belongs to a team until they sign.
3/1/2018 2:29 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 3/1/2018 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/1/2018 2:13:00 PM (view original):
That’s my point. Using “poaching” colloquially, rather than legally, you can make a much stronger case that cubbie was more “in his proper territory” than he was walking into someone else’s territory and trying to land a big one.

But in any case, it’s a dumb term to apply to HD recruiting. No one owns territory, and no recruit belongs to a team until they sign.
I like poached. It paints a better picture when someone says they got poached, its a word that fits the feeling a person has when it happens to them. It's got a lil spice to it.

By definition, sure it's not right. But i prefer hearing a coach say they were poached, than to hear a coach say something politically, and grammatically correct. "That D1 school came in a took a recruit that was rightfully his, that i had no business even trying to go after. Schucky darn" just doesn't do it for me. "I got poached". Short, sweet, and we all get the point.
3/1/2018 9:18 PM
There are better, more accurate, and more descriptive terms, even if you prefer “short and sweet”. It doesn’t have to be short and sweet and wrong.

For example:
A D3 loses to a D1 or D2 who shows up late - “I got spudded”.
A D2 loses a RS1 D1 recruit to another D2 who waits until the signing cycle to offer a scholarship, and drops a load of HVs from nowhere - “I got sniped”.
Every other instance - “I got screwed”.
3/1/2018 10:06 PM
Valid examples. But poached has been used here for a while by most coaches. And we ALL no what that means when it's said. "I got screwed" leads to more questions to follow with 1000 different outcomes.

It's just a slang term that may not be right by definition. But we all get it. There's a lot of things here that need to be explained with precise details and calculations to make the topic understood. But the poaching scenario isn't one of them.

It's not a science fair. Some things that can be simplified, should be.
3/2/2018 6:45 AM
It has been used here for a while by some coaches. Other coaches - and I am by no means the only one - point out that it’s use fosters misunderstandings about the game. It means something illegal or unfair happened (unless you’re using it figuratively as the other form of the verb, to boil in its shell, in which case, carry on, I guess). There is nothing illegal or unfair about a D1 team coming in late on a player that another team thought they were in good shape on. It’s absurd to think that a D1 can “poach” a recruit from a D3 team. That’s why I said something.

Some people will call this nerdy, and would be disappointed if I didn’t point out word usage is grammar, not science. I don’t care about word usage because I need everything to be correct. 9 Times out of 10, I don’t care about the misuse of words. This one in particular jacks people’s expectations in this game. One could make a convincing case that a big part of 3.0 dissatisfaction is rooted in a misguided belief that when a coach pulls out in the lead on a player, that player is their possession; and when someone moves in on said player, someone is trying to take something from them. Enjoying this version of the game requires getting over that notion, IMO.
3/2/2018 9:13 AM
Well, to be fair, someone IS trying to take something from them. Whether it's actually theirs to be taken is where the problem lies. It isn't in their possession but resources have been spent. And that's where the disappointment is created.
3/2/2018 9:19 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/2/2018 9:19:00 AM (view original):
Well, to be fair, someone IS trying to take something from them. Whether it's actually theirs to be taken is where the problem lies. It isn't in their possession but resources have been spent. And that's where the disappointment is created.
Sure. A game has winners and losers, and losers are always going to have a level of disappointment. That’s part of the game. Dissatisfaction comes when expectations get jacked, and that’s something that can actually be adjusted. The only thing you can do to completely avoid disappointment is decline to play.
3/2/2018 9:32 AM
The context is important. When i talk about poaching, or listen to other coaches discuss poaching, that word just tells me what situation a coach is dealing with.

But got me personally, if a coach tells me about a poaching situation, I'm not thinking in the back of my head "yea, but he wasn't yours to begin with". And at the same time, i think the coach telling me about it most likely knows the ins and outs of this game, and knows that the recruit wasn't his possession either.

I'm also not one to focus on speaking and pronouncing every single word that comes out of my mouth correctly, all day every day

Ya no wut I'm sayin'? Haha
3/2/2018 11:10 AM
Dat's dum. Sew dum.
3/2/2018 11:46 AM
U wunt sum 2?
3/2/2018 1:21 PM
reel dum
3/2/2018 1:27 PM
Ain't it dough
3/2/2018 1:42 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.